Thread: coolent smell

Black
    1999 camaro z28

coolent smell

Last night me and my girl were going on a cruise so when we got home i could smell coolent idk why i checked under the car to see if its leaking and not a drop, plus i smelled the exhaust leaking but im pretty sure that doesnt cause the coolent to leak. So i was wondering do yall think i have a tiny leak that i can't see? Its a 99 z28 a4.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Could be your heater core starting to leak..

The exhaust could have a leak did you delete the cats?

Sometimes the exhaust takes on a different smell when they are deleted..

Could be exhaust blowing back into the car through an open window aswell..

Just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1999 camaro z28

I haven't deleted the cats yet im planing to just replace the whole exhaust system. And i think it is the exhaust smell cause i was outside just to rev it and i only smelled it when it was reving.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Once you replace the exhaust, let us know how you make out and keep us posted if you still smell the odor.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Like Steven stated, check the heater core. If this is leaking most likely the carpet on the passenger front side will be wet.

Check your fluid level - surprised nobody suggested this. Is it low?

How has your temperature been running? Normal? If not, your water pump could be on its way. A water pump will usually start to weep when it is going out...sometimes you can even hear the bearing in it going bad.

Lastly, check all your hoses. Make sure a connection did not come loose or that a hose has not deteriorated.

If all that checks out and you can't see any physical leaks, but you are low on coolant, it is possible that you are leaking coolant through the exhaust. This is usually indicative of a head gasket leak. Coolant is being burned off in the exhaust chamber and exiting through the exhaust. The only way coolant can get into the exhaust chamber is through the head gasket. Check your oil. Does it look normal? Is it milky white? If so, you've found the problem. Also, if you rev the car up and see an abnormal amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust tips, this is another clue.

If all that checks out OK, you're probably smelling the exhaust fumes without cats...

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Like Steven stated, check the heater core. If this is leaking most likely the carpet on the passenger front side will be wet.

Check your fluid level - surprised nobody suggested this. Is it low?

How has your temperature been running? Normal? If not, your water pump could be on its way. A water pump will usually start to weep when it is going out...sometimes you can even hear the bearing in it going bad.

Lastly, check all your hoses. Make sure a connection did not come loose or that a hose has not deteriorated.

If all that checks out and you can't see any physical leaks, but you are low on coolant, it is possible that you are leaking coolant through the exhaust. This is usually indicative of a head gasket leak. Coolant is being burned off in the exhaust chamber and exiting through the exhaust. The only way coolant can get into the exhaust chamber is through the head gasket. Check your oil. Does it look normal? Is it milky white? If so, you've found the problem. Also, if you rev the car up and see an abnormal amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust tips, this is another clue.

If all that checks out OK, you're probably smelling the exhaust fumes without cats...
    Yes one time it came out like a waterfall out of a jeeps "ducts"

Thread Information