Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

HELP! starting problem

Hello everyone I have a problem with my 00 t/a I went to start my car today and it would not start. All it did is turn over so I checked to see if I could hear the fuel pump, and I could hear it plain as day.I tried it again and it started and ran great so I thought it could be the old gas because I forgot to add fuel stabilizer before I put it away for the winter. I then go to the gas station to fill up and add gas treatment. I drove it to work and its all good until I go to leave work and it did not start at all. Now I am not sure if it is the gas, so I proceed to try other things knowing that it is getting gas I think maybe has something to do with the security and I then push the unlock button on the door and it started. I then turned it off and same thing no start push unlock and it started I tried it a few more times and it will start every time I am puzzeled is there something wrong with my security system? or is it the gas? I dont know, any opinions would be great, thank you very much.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

try this and see if it works. If it doesn't start cycle the key to run ( but not starting the car) and off a few times. See if priming the pump a few times helps....might be your regulator taking a dump.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Thanks, I did try that about four times in a row and nothing. I pushed the shrader valve in and plenty of pressure got built up. The gas dont smell real strong either and since this post I called the pontiac dealler and spoke with a service writer and he said if it was the security system acting up the starter will not enguage so that is eliminated.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Thumbs up

Is your car a 100K plus car? As awesome as these cars may be, their technology is nothing new, which brings us to GM's Passkey or VATS system, which was/is pretty old skool.
    This was eventually replaced by (slightly) =) more advanced anti-theft systems such as Passlock and Passlock II, but GM didn't bother upgrading the F-car platform, after all, it was scheduled to be discontinued anyway. Ever wondered why your steering column looks like it's 20 year old tech? That's because it is.

Enough with the history lesson. In these cars, you will sometimes find the wire at the ignition switch/cylinderfor Passkey breaks after so many millions of cycles, (off to on, to start and back) breaking the Passkey signal to the BCM, usually right at the lock cylinder.
    After you remove it, you'll see it plain as day. They usually break right at the cylinder, eliminating the possiblity of repair.

You can watch this on a TechII scanner, but for us mortals who can't afford that, look for a fuel enable signal from the BCM on a generic scanner. It should have a PID for security or fuel enable. If you don't see it, chances are there will be a 'B' code stored, related to anti-theft, sometimes accompanied by a 'security' light flashing in the dash.

btw, If my memory serves, the starter will engage normally and the engine will start, but will shut down fuel right after start up.
    Symptoms usually include: "Car starts and dies out"

In short, your F-body might think it's being stolen.
    The fix is a new lock cylinder, coded by a locksmith or preferrably your local GM parts dept. Installation will require partial column dissasembly, and steering wheel dissasembly.

This system can be bypassed with a resistor in-line with the lock cylinder wires, that match the resistor in the key. There's only 15 possible resistances. You probably don't have access to GM's special tool, the 'VAT's intergator' which your local dealer has. It either has a fake key that plugs into the lock cylinder, or reads your ignition key to obtain the actual resistance.

Assuming good spark and fuel pressure, this is a good place to start.
    Last edited by PushroD; 03-11-2008 at 06:52 PM.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

The car has 26,xxx miles on it. I havent had any problems with it staying running just getting it to start. Once started it runs great no security light flashing, however I do have a cheap actron scanner so I will check and see if I can find anything. If nothing shows up I will run the gas tank to just about empty and fuel up with all fresh fuel just to eliminate that possability. I will proceed to go to the local pontiac dealer with your suggestions. (I have been told they are very highly reccomended so I guess I can trust them) Thank you very much!!!

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Figured out that if I push the unlock button on the door before starting it works every time, so to the dealership I go. Thanks for all your help!

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Took it in today and they called around 5 and said it is the fuel pump so <good deal> know what the problem is but <bad deal> I dont have access to a lift so I an having gm do it because they guarentee that is the problem and if not there will be some words exchanged. I will have it back tomarrow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ouch, what is that gonna run you? You don't really need a lift to do the pump. It is quite a bit of work which is why the dealership is gonna slap you around and call you Suzy on the price. I see anywhere from $750-$1100. Just curious what they're gonna get you for. The module itself is very expensive to buy from a dealership so that's where a large portion of your price is gonna be.

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

Yeah they said 1100 but I said f it just do it because my back has been killing me for the last week I think I pulled something and it is finnaly feeling a bit better anyway I went to pick it up at four o clock and I paid and went to leave and it would not start, so I went wack in and said we have a problem. They pushed it back in and messed with it and about twenty minutes in the service writter came in and said that they were probably not gonna have it ready until at least monday so he appolagised and said that he will do whater he has to to make it wright. He then said he will give me a car to use for the time being. He went to get the car and then came back and said that they think I have a faulty ignition relay because they changed it and the car starts every time now. So the writter said to drive it this weekend and see if it is fixed and come back monday and he will fix the bill. I am going to look for the best price on a gm pump and see if he will accept me just paying for the pump, only because the car does run smoother and idles smoother, but I am not going to tell him that.I am gonna have to drive it a lot to be convinced that the problem is fixed, anyway wish me luck.

Thread Information