Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Silver
    2000 z28

I've got adjustable traction bars and subframe connectors gonna get the strut tower brace I know the purpose and what all of that does but no idea what the panhard bar does
    2000 z28 granatelli lid k&n air filter 85mm maf sensor lakewood adjustable traction bars nitto drag radialsgot 3.73s but not installed yet waaaay more to come

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    What is the purpose of the panhard bar? What does it do?
    it centers the rear horizontally. it also limits the travel. most stock f bodys are off up to 1/2" to one side (i believe the driver side) the stock piece is also very flimsy and flexes when under stress. my umi on car adj. one i have on my car was a awesome improvement over stock. really tied everything else together

Silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    it centers the rear horizontally. it also limits the travel. most stock f bodys are off up to 1/2" to one side (i believe the driver side) the stock piece is also very flimsy and flexes when under stress. my umi on car adj. one i have on my car was a awesome improvement over stock. really tied everything else together
    Nice!!!... Anything else suspension wise I should look into?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Nice!!!... Anything else suspension wise I should look into?
    Everything under the car. Lol.

Silver
    2000 z28

lol figured...what do you reccomend for springs performance wise....i dont wanna get into the tubular k member nd stuff like that til the motor comes out for rebuild

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Tubular K is mostly for lightening the car for drag racing and not recommended for street use. Not sure what your goals are, the car handles pretty well as is. Best handeling additions are shocks and sway bars. You don't really need to change the springs unless you want to change the ride height. (I think)

Silver
    2000 z28

i think it handles pretty good too as is...i do race race at the track but not professionally and ive got the tires and traction bars for traction so i guess the panhard bar is all thats left it would look better if it was lower but i think it would be too stiff of a ride and not sure but i think a stiffer ride would affect launching at the track

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well what are you most doing. I am about to order strano springs, koni yellows, sway bars, PHB relocation kit and adjustable phb and i mostly drive on street and thats about it.. Im sure a lot of people on here will give you more advice, ask shady. He seems to know what he is talking about.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Tubular K is mostly for lightening the car for drag racing and not recommended for street use. Not sure what your goals are, the car handles pretty well as is. Best handeling additions are shocks and sway bars. You don't really need to change the springs unless you want to change the ride height. (I think)
    the umi piece is designed for street use as it has much more pan protection and such.

Silver
    2000 z28

mostly drive on the steer also... I drive it to work when I get done I'm wanting 400-450 hp and if I can drop it without messing tge traction I wanna drop it but before I got traction bars I spun through third gear don't wanna go back to that really if all springs nd all do is change the heighth I can save my money and put it in the motor nd tranny... Long story short I want a fast car that looks good lol

Silver
    2000 z28

I'll prolly do a panhard and when the motor comes out I'm gonna do the k member to lighten it

Silver
    2000 z28

Street not steer my bad

98' trans am

i think it handles pretty good too as is...i do race race at the track but not professionally and ive got the tires and traction bars for traction so i guess the panhard bar is all thats left it would look better if it was lower but i think it would be too stiff of a ride and not sure but i think a stiffer ride would affect launching at the track
    the koni and strano set up is a great set up. it will ride a little stiffer..but it is completely adjustable and honestly ...i love the set up..a very solid set up that is stiffer than stock but not harsh at all.

the lowing springs will affect your launching. the weight transfer is stifled..the stock springs are extremely good at weight transfer.

so you really need to ask yourself where do you want compromise ? i love the track..but i DD my car so street/handling/look characteristics are more important to me. so i opted for a heavier set of rims, TTMs, and the koni and strano set up which has greatly improved my handling looks and such. if you dont care about that as much. id stay with the stock springs and get some good shocks (konis being my recommendation).

so basically you need to let us know where you want to go with this. because to tell you the truth. my car now as it sits is more geared towards autoX and RR..even tho i love the strip.

so for a nice street car that sees a little strip action.. id run my set up...
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Silver
    2000 z28

Put like that I'll go w lowering it they just look good lowered and I'm not at the track enough for it to matter ... What about eibach pro kit for the springs and the konis shocks ur talking about... Just don't want to spend alot of money on lowering it and I see the pro kits all the time on craigslist for like 150... My main goal not that it's hard is to stay in front of my brothers gt and look good at the same time I'm not goin around corners at 150 or nothing so I think my factory sway bars are good enough and the adjustable panhard to set the rear axle in place sooo besides pro kit being a good set of springs or not I guess I've pretty much got an answer from the last post

98' trans am

Put like that I'll go w lowering it they just look good lowered and I'm not at the track enough for it to matter ... What about eibach pro kit for the springs and the konis shocks ur talking about... Just don't want to spend alot of money on lowering it and I see the pro kits all the time on craigslist for like 150... My main goal not that it's hard is to stay in front of my brothers gt and look good at the same time I'm not goin around corners at 150 or nothing so I think my factory sway bars are good enough and the adjustable panhard to set the rear axle in place sooo besides pro kit being a good set of springs or not I guess I've pretty much got an answer from the last post
    just to let you know...spending 100 more bucks for the best overall springs for our cars isnt that bad...also keep in mind that lowering is never a cheap thing..if you do it right...you need a adj. panhard bar, adjustable lca, shocks and a adj. torque arm if you wish to keep the geometry of the suspension all in check..that shit adds up quick.

Silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    just to let you know...spending 100 more bucks for the best overall springs for our cars isnt that bad...also keep in mind that lowering is never a cheap thing..if you do it right...you need a adj. panhard bar, adjustable lca, shocks and a adj. torque arm if you wish to keep the geometry of the suspension all in check..that shit adds up quick.
    Which is the torque arm and the lca? I was kinda thinkin the adjustable traction bars took place of them

Silver
    2000 z28

Also how much drop do you reccomend I don't want the wheels n tires tucked up in the fenders I like just a little gap between the fender n tire

98' trans am

Which is the torque arm and the lca? I was kinda thinkin the adjustable traction bars took place of them

control arms

torque arm ( this picture shows a driveshaft loop and the torque arm is a short arm so yours will look quite different )

mind you these are aftermarket but you get the picture

here you see where the mount and are in relation to the rear end Assembly
    Last edited by shady milkman; 07-09-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Silver
    2000 z28

OK my traction bars are in place of the control arms and the rods under it adjust forward n backward I'll post a pic after work

98' trans am

OK my traction bars are in place of the control arms and the rods under it adjust forward n backward I'll post a pic after work
    they are the same thing..they call them trailing arms traction bars or lower control arm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information