Thread: Pushrod length?

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

Pushrod length?

I have the PRC 2.5 5.3L heads for my 01 LS1 and I already have Alum. 1.7 roller rockers for them, I also have the MS3 cam. Should I buy the stock length 7.4 pushrods? Im not changing the stroke or bore.
    Last edited by 2001TransAm; 05-02-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Heads been milled?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You should ALWAYS test it with a head swap.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

hugger orange

call up summit or jegs and buy a pushrod lenght checker....they are pretty cheap and can save lots of headaches

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

I guess i dont understand why I need a pushrod checker, I know they are only 15-20 bucks but if i didnt change the ratio of the rockers and the lifters are going to be the same as the stock ones, shouldnt the pushrod length be stock 7.4?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 2001TransAm View Post
    I guess i dont understand why I need a pushrod checker, I know they are only 15-20 bucks but if i didnt change the ratio of the rockers and the lifters are going to be the same as the stock ones, shouldnt the pushrod length be stock 7.4?
    should be, but its just a step to be sure.
    my cam called for longr pushrods, but after checking I still had to use stock lenght pushrods.....so you never know till you check

Trolling Live Chat

Black
    01 Trans Am

yeah man, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the pushrods. My PRC 215's aer alot taller than the stock heads. Needed a 7.5 PR.

Pewter
    2001 Firebird Trans Am

Thanks guys.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

bore and stroke, rockers arms, or lifters do not matter, when it comes to the length of the pushrods. in a non adjustable valvetrain, what matters is the deck height of the heads and block, camshaft base circle, and head gasket thickness. are you using a thinner head gasket? how much was cut off the heads? was the block decked? anytime you change these areas, you are changing the total distance from the lifter to the rocker.

milling the heads, milling the block, and using thinner head gaskets bring the valvetrain closer to the cam. in a non-adjustable valvetrain, you will need shorter pushrods to compensate for this. if you know how much was cut off the heads, block, and how much thinner the head gasket is from stock, then you just shorten the pushrod that much. if not, then you'll need a checker.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

$20 is worth the headache saved if you put in the wrong length

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    bore and stroke, rockers arms, or lifters do not matter, when it comes to the length of the pushrods. in a non adjustable valvetrain, what matters is the deck height of the heads and block, camshaft base circle, and head gasket thickness. are you using a thinner head gasket? how much was cut off the heads? was the block decked? anytime you change these areas, you are changing the total distance from the lifter to the rocker.

milling the heads, milling the block, and using thinner head gaskets bring the valvetrain closer to the cam. in a non-adjustable valvetrain, you will need shorter pushrods to compensate for this. if you know how much was cut off the heads, block, and how much thinner the head gasket is from stock, then you just shorten the pushrod that much. if not, then you'll need a checker.
    well said, (i should have milled them the last time i had them off) but right now i'm just on the loose side of clearance with my cam swap, after i mill mine it should put me right where i should be

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea buy it now and you will never be asking this question again. Tools make the world go round

Thread Information