Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Damn!!! I just checked the price of a big brake kit form Brembo...are they kidding??? Car should flip over onto it's roof when ya hit the brakes for that money.

That's about what you're going to pay for that kinda brake kit. You wanna stop on a dime from 120... there you go

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycis View Post
    The more area you can apply the force and friction on the better the braking you're going to have... it's more common sense than physics
    if that were true there would be 2 calipers per rotor on race cars...

-me
    Last edited by mrr23; 02-12-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: removed derogatory insults

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycis View Post
    That's about what you're going to pay for that kinda brake kit. You wanna stop on a dime from 120... there you go
    Jus' lemme get over the initial sticker shock...lol

Doesn't Baer make a 6 piston caliper brake kit for less? Which would lead to a whole nuther question...what's better 4 piston or 6 piston, is more really better? Size of the caliper equal, I would think the pistons are just smaller, more parts...more that could go wrong. Is Baer's setup considered a "big brake" setup?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    Actually, I just like the way they look...lol

But, from what I've seen they tend to crack, don't need that, so I started thinkin maybe there's some better than others.

Also, heard that the full contact (smooth) rotors tend to glaze (due to heat I suppose) and consequently fade as well as having no ability to get rid of gasses from the pads.

I don't do auto cross, just want the best stopping ability with good looks, without having to worry much about crackin and warpage.

Steet racin is what I'm into so I do need to get 'er down from 160 to 60 real quick
    We have GREAT luck with Bears rotors....... Get the zinced washed ones and they'll never rust. They also come slotted and cross drilled for maximum heat and gas disapation. You can get the one piece design for Much cheaper than the 2 piece one that have a removable "hat".
    Then I would install some HAWK pads at the same time. Just make sure you break in or "season" the rotors as directed in the instructions.
    Just upgrade to the bigger dia. rotors with the stock calipers unless your on a unlimited budget.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    We have GREAT luck with Bears rotors....... Get the zinced washed ones and they'll never rust. They also come slotted and cross drilled for maximum heat and gas disapation. You can get the one piece design for Much cheaper than the 2 piece one that have a removable "hat".
    Then I would install some HAWK pads at the same time. Just make sure you break in or "season" the rotors as directed in the instructions.
    Just upgrade to the bigger dia. rotors with the stock calipers unless your on a unlimited budget.
    Do bigger diameter rotors require an 18" wheel? I seen somewhere on their site an 18" wheel is required for sumthin, might of been the whole kit.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i went from stock rotors to the slotted and drilled stock rotors from wholsale direct. nothing else, same brake pads and both cars stop quicker now. slots and holes allow the gases and pad material to escape from between the rotor and pad. my experience. take it for what it's worth.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Do bigger diameter rotors require an 18" wheel? I seen somewhere on their site an 18" wheel is required for sumthin, might of been the whole kit.
    Nope!!! Got 13" rotors on MANY cars front and back with 17" NO issues.
    Good Luck.
    Try to make a friend at AutoZone and have him order with his employee discount.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i went from stock rotors to the slotted and drilled stock rotors from wholsale direct. nothing else, same brake pads and both cars stop quicker now. slots and holes allow the gases and pad material to escape from between the rotor and pad. my experience. take it for what it's worth.
    No problems with cracking and warping? Have you ever had to slam on 'em?
    Are you using ceramic pads? Not sure what the ones that came stock are made out of.

What is shooting out of the ur hood in ur avatar? Is that from nitrous?
    I want smoke to blow out of the nostrils (as I like to call 'em on my WS6) think that would look pretty sick, like a dragon snortin.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Nope!!! Got 13" rotors on MANY cars front and back with 17" NO issues.
    Good Luck.
    Try to make a friend at AutoZone and have him order with his employee discount.
    Better yet, just ask my brother who is the commercial accounts manager at an autozone...heheheheee
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-12-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I'm glad to see that Predator has finally developed the ultimate braking system! Why, if swept area has no bearing on braking force, then you could have a brake pad no larger than a postage stamp! Think of the savings in material and manufacturing costs! Manufacturers wouldn't have to offer big brake kits any more!! BlackMagicK, if you go to a big brake kit typically you get a larger rotor and the caliper has to be remounted slightly outward from the original mounting point to accomodate the larger rotor diameter. Most kits offer a larger caliper too that takes a larger pad to fully utilize the increased swept area of the bigger rotor (some offer 4 piston calipers - big $$$). To clear the larger rotor and calipers you may need a bigger wheel - the manufacturer of the kit should have experience with wheel clearance issues. You don't need a 6 piston caliper for street use, it's a waste of money.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 02-13-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: added stuff

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    I'm glad to see that Predator has finally developed the ultimate braking system! Why, if swept area has no bearing on braking force, then you could have a brake pad no larger than a postage stamp! Think of the savings in material and manufacturing costs! Manufacturers wouldn't have to offer big brake kits any more!! BlackMagicK, if you go to a big brake kit typically you get a larger rotor and the caliper has to be remounted slightly outward from the original mounting point to accomodate the larger rotor diameter. Most kits offer a larger caliper too that takes a larger pad to fully utilize the increased swept area of the bigger rotor (some offer 4 piston calipers - big $$$). To clear the larger rotor and calipers you may need a bigger wheel - the manufacturer of the kit should have experience with wheel clearance issues. You don't need a 6 piston caliper for street use, it's a waste of money.
    im glad to see you ppl have finally disproven a law of physics... dont get me wrong... there are reasons for larger surface area... such as the fact that pads are brittle and if you applied all the compression force through such a small area you would prolly crush the pad... also wear would be a huge issue using such a small foot print...

big brake kits move the application of force out... increasing the moment that the friction can apply... as i pointed out earlier...

and seriously if the foot print is such a good thing y are there not dual calipers per rotors...

oh and im glad to see youve already heard about my prototype for the world greates braking system... ill see if i can link a pic for you...

yep here you go...

there you go... only problem is removing the wheel is a real bitch and the further you move the weight away from the center of rotation the more hp your drain parasitically... but it woudl stop like a bastard...

i mean look at buell sport bikes... tiny calipers located as far out as possible... wonder y they would do that... just be idiots...

-me
    Last edited by mrr23; 02-14-2007 at 05:15 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

No problems with cracking and warping? Have you ever had to slam on 'em?
    Are you using ceramic pads? Not sure what the ones that came stock are made out of.
    i cracked a rear pair once from being in a bunout contest. i full minute doing a burnout overheated the rotors. got them replaced and haven't cracked since. i've had them on both cars for over a year now.

yes, i've had to slam on the brakes.

using standard semi-metallic pads.

What is shooting out of the ur hood in ur avatar? Is that from nitrous?
    I want smoke to blow out of the nostrils (as I like to call 'em on my WS6) think that would look pretty sick, like a dragon snortin.

yes, that is nitrous coming out of my purge. here's how i had it ran out the front

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i cracked a rear pair once from being in a bunout contest. i full minute doing a burnout overheated the rotors. got them replaced and haven't cracked since. i've had them on both cars for over a year now.

yes, i've had to slam on the brakes.

using standard semi-metallic pads.
    Guess you need a line lock. Any reason your not using ceramic pads?

yes, that is nitrous coming out of my purge. here's how i had it ran out the front

Click for full size

That is hot stuff, I really like that.

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    and seriously if the foot print is such a good thing y are there not dual calipers per rotors...
    There are! Many drag racers with strong motors utilize dual rear calipers to hold all that torque on the line (cars w/out transbrakes). Granted its not an ideal setup for pure braking performance from speed, but you were talking clamping force/friction...

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

u could just find a wrecked corvette and grab the rotors off of it.

just looking at it in a cheap way.

black
    1998 Z28

Wink

[QUOTE={FzS}BlacKMagicK;601962]Guess you need a line lock.

I think he warped his rear rotors from the heat of the burnin' rubber. I'd guess he already has linelock.
    Last edited by camarokiddave; 02-14-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: wording

Black
    1998 Z/28

[QUOTE=camarokiddave;602298]
    Guess you need a line lock.

I think he warped his rear rotors from the heat of the burnin' rubber. I'd guess he already has linelock.
    haha, no its from holding the brakes to keep the car from rolling, since the rear brakes are still putting force on the rotors, they are making heat, which will eventually mess up the rotors

black
    1998 Z28

Red face

[QUOTE=Corey1987;602587]
    Quote Originally Posted by camarokiddave View Post

haha, no its from holding the brakes to keep the car from rolling, since the rear brakes are still putting force on the rotors, they are making heat, which will eventually mess up the rotors
    Yeah-your'e right-what was I thinking? Gotta lay off the afternoon wine on my day off.

Black
    1998 Z/28

hehe no problem man.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Any reason your not using ceramic pads?
    didn't need replacing when i got the rotors. when it comes time, i will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information