Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

have you made sure the opti wire harness is good?

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Double check the top wire going into the opti...

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

yeah i checked it the harness is in good shape it has power goin into the harness and power goin in to the top of the opti. it may be out of time but from everyone i have talked to the timing is controled by the computor... who knows it could be a junk opti cause i did buy it from oreillys

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Are you sure its not getting any spark?
    When I read the first post the first thing that came to mind was maybe you over tightened the valves when setting in the rockers?

You said the motor is just turning over right?

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

yeah i replaced all that but i replaced the opti again it started right up i got a junk opti from my work i ordered a richporter distributor and it didnt have a rotor in it a replacement harness or a gear shaft in the back of it plus it had a vaccum port under the #1 cyl... i ordered another of the richporter and it was the same as the oe .. it had the replacement harness and the gear also

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by SMITH89 View Post
    well i hooked up the new opti anf still no spark so now i gonna check my timing and go from there
    Please keep us posted. My two cents is to tow to a GM dealer that has a good reputation and let them check it. It would be worth the extra dollars to have someone with experience and a host to go over it. They can also run the diagnositics and the problem could be something we're not evening thinking about.

Good luck!

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

well i dont need a mechanic if i didnt get a junk opti from my job then it would have been runnin like it is now ... in my last post i said i replaced the opti again because it was missing a harness and the gear that goes from the opti to the timing gear and it had a vaccum port under it.. so i warrentied that opti for another one installed it and it is runnin now... i checked every mechanic around me to put the opti in and the cheapest one is 600.00 i dont know about you but i dont see payin that price to take off a water pump, and a harmonic balancer along with some hoses it took me 40 minutes to take that off and an hour to put it all back together the garage told me it was a 4 hr job BULLSHIT!!

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Thanks for getting back to us on this. Glad that was the case. With all the problem GM went through over the last two years I purchased a OEM Opti and have it boxed up in the basement ready to go when that day comes. Hope it's a good one.

Questions: did you have any trouble bleeding the air out of the cooling system? Any special tools to remove the opti beside a puller for the balancer?

Again thanks for sharing!

Ray Charles blue

I picked up an opti from a place out west that rebuilt them and sold them for around $90-$100 bucks. It worked like a gem. My dad has the MSD on his. Those things are pricey!

SMith89, good job, glad the car is up and running.

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

sorry its been a while guys i shut my internet off due to my wife bein on matunity leave... i didnt use any special tools to take the balancer off since the old one was bad i took the bolts off and used a pry bar carefully to remove it ... now im havin another problem i cant seem to get the crank hub off i noticed i was still loosin oil and pressure and i noticed the oil pan gasket was bad at the bottom of the timin cover, im needin to remove the hub in order to put new gaskets in ... ive used a harmonic balancer puller bug no luck i was told to use a 3 jaw puller anyone got any methods

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by SMITH89 View Post
    sorry its been a while guys i shut my internet off due to my wife bein on matunity leave... i didnt use any special tools to take the balancer off since the old one was bad i took the bolts off and used a pry bar carefully to remove it ... now im havin another problem i cant seem to get the crank hub off i noticed i was still loosin oil and pressure and i noticed the oil pan gasket was bad at the bottom of the timin cover, im needin to remove the hub in order to put new gaskets in ... ive used a harmonic balancer puller bug no luck i was told to use a 3 jaw puller anyone got any methods
    Some ideas: There is a big-box auto part store where you purchase the part, they will lend you the tool; find a tool rental place and rent the puller; Look for Harbor Freight Salvage has low cost tools which will work great for a one-time use.

Good luck and keep us posted!

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

Question

if my memory is correct i believethe crank hub is pressed on? if im wrong someone lmk i may be over lookin the bolt in the center of the crank

red
    1994 trans am lt1 6SPD

Any body got an lt1 motor for sale?

Thread Information