Thread: quick question

delinquent543

quick question

quick decision, have about 600-700 saved up. Buy headers + ory, shocks+lowering springs (maybe sfcs), or 4 slotted/drilled rotors + pads. quick what would be best? doing my own install on all.

freshduckie
    I hear that sub frame connectors should be the first mod by alot of people.
    I bought blank rotors, not a fan of slots and drilled, don't see much for it.

your first guess was best but defenitely sfc's - no other mods ?, lid, cat back ?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Don't worry about d/r rotors until you need new rotors, they don't do anything you will ever realize anyways. Headers and ORY, then sfc, then shocks and springs if you want sotp performance first.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

SFC's need to be teh first especially if it is a t-top or vert. I did the exact opposite. I am just now puttin on SFC's with all these mods.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Don't worry about d/r rotors until you need new rotors, they don't do anything you will ever realize anyways. Headers and ORY, then sfc, then shocks and springs if you want sotp performance first.
    Except if you need pads...more power won't do you any good if you can't stop. I'd do headers and ORY, hawk pads and autozone rotors($40 a pop and come with a 2yr warranty,$62 for rears)....then SFC's as soon as possible. If you put on pads you might as well put on new rotors...unless the ones you have on are in good shape.

delinquent543
    no one thinks shocks/springs are a good first mod? i have lid/catback, so i dont have to worry about those. My ride sucks ass, so i figure id do shocks/springs first? do they really help all that much tho?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

It's more a matter or preference really, some people want the performance first, some people want the looks first, etc. If you are gonna do springs and shocks or if you are going to go performance, subframes are very important. That's why most people list them first. I love the thought of shocks/springs, I just can't help but go power first. . .lol. I don't know how low you will go with the springs, but you might want to get the tubular subframes rather than boxed, boxed decreases your ground clearance by about 3/4 of an inch.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Bilstein HD shocks the best mod I've ever done to my car, as it is a DD. Ride improvement was incredible
    '00 Black Ram Air TA TR224/224 PRC 5.3 59cc Heads
    Pacesetter LT ORY Hooker CB 414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    BMR PHR, SFC,LCA & TM. Bilstein HD shocks 1LE FSB
    Firehawk Rims w/KDW Custom Headrests & Floormats

jdec
    Do you already have drag radials? If not, I would invest in a set nitto 555r if it's a driver and MT's if it's not. This may sound stupid but you can kick alot of ass if you can hook on the street and be consistent.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Go with the suspension mods first unless you really need a brake job and the rotors are warped (brake pulsing when you stop). Start with SFCs first - Kenny Brown, SLP and UMI Performance make some good ones. UMI also makes Chrome-Moly SFCs: they're lighter and stronger than plain steel. Slotted/drilled rotors MIGHT (I EMPHASIZE MIGHT) gain you some cooling benefits only if you autocross or race (as in road race, not drag race) your car, but they are noisier than blank rotors, can develop cracks, and will accelerate pad wear. Go with a good blank rotor (Brembo or AutoZone),ceramic pads and a stainless steel brake line upgrade. (If you do race your car all the more reason to start with SFCs!) Have fun! BTW, Bilsteins or QA4 shocks are great - my Bilsteins didn't give me a "better" (softer?) ride, but the handling improvement was like day/night - incredibly better with the Bilsteins.

delinquent543
    in that case my rotors are definatly warped (there is noticiable pulsating when i stop and the pads squeal). I guess i have to do breaks first... anyway yeah, thanks for all the input, you guys are great. though i love the idea of finishing off my exhaust mods first, i should probably think about what i want more. Most of my driving is aggresssive road driving, no track visits yet.

Thread Information