Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

just picked up my first rifle - ruger 10/22

so, i just picked up my first rifle today and i wish i didn't wait so damn long! i never really had any close family or friends that were in to shooting and i live in a commie state so i guess that is an ok reason. i do own a modded 870 express 12ga for home defense. anyway, i picked up a 500 pack of federal 40 grain ammo... anybody have anything good or bad to say about federal? my goal is to stock up BIG TIME on the ammo for this thing.

i also ordered an archangel 5.56 kit for it that will replace the stock and basically make it look like an AR. can't wait to get that, i know it's just a .22 but my goal is to end up with an AR so i thought it would be best to learn on something as close to an AR style as i can get. i ordered 2 butler creek 10 round mags that can be locked together so they can be flipped around (20 rounds combined). i couldn't get the 25 round mags cause i live in a commie state and can only have 10 rounds max

gonna want to get some kind of red dot site for it but not sure how much i want to spend... so, for under $400 i will have a nice semi auto .22 AR tactical weapon that is reliable! can't wait to get out in the woods behind my house and rip off a bunch of rounds!
    Last edited by krese; 10-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

here is what she will look like except i will have a shorter mag and a scope on top:

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I have one. Good little rifle. Mine is in stock trim though. I do have the 10 round rotary clip, and a couple of 25 round banana clips. The springs in the banana clips seem to wear out over time, and it won't load properly. It's quite accurate though. My son has pretty much taken it over now, so I shoot the bigger rifles

blue
    1999 TransAm

is it the federal ammo w/ the copper-plated nose? if so, then yeah i think it's good, and should keep the lead fouling down... congrats on your new 10-22.. i don't have one (yet), but i do know they are very popular.

Black
    2000 WS6

A great gun.
    Did you know you can make that baby into fully automatic real easy.
    You can pick up large drum magazines also.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    A great gun.
    i have seen where people have made them fully auto... watched a few vids of them shooting on youtube, very nasty indeed!

any mags over 10 rounds are illegal here in the communist state of NY.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

you guys think a red dot sight is worth it? i'm not sure i want something that has a chance of a battery failing....

Black
    2000 WS6

Red dots are nice as long as they are trigger activated.
    No need to worry about battery run down.
    They use watch batteries that last a long time.
    Just buy a spare or two.
    As far as the 10 mag thing, just get some velcro and stick a few together; (top to bottom) and you'll be in action.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Eco-techs use a battery pack and some models are supposed to last 62 days if left on.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Congrats. I first rifle was an AR. As far as red dot sights and battery life goes, Aimpoints have a battery life of 30,000-50,000 hours depending on the model. You can literally leave it turned on for 3-5 years.

red
    2000 Z28

A trigger activated optic is about the silliest thing I've ever heard. Let's face it, the OP isn't going to be using a 10/22 for home defense, and putting an 50000 hr battery life Aimpoint on a $200 rifle is absurd. When you're using the optic, turn it on. When you're not, turn it off. Consider a 1-4x Millet DMS1. It's got decent glass for a $200 scope, nice reticule, variable illumination that uses widely available CR2032 batteries.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Aimpoint PRO is only $400. Less than Eotechs. He can always put it on another rifle if he ever gets an AR, or sell it. Used Comp ml2s are all over Ebay for two hundred and change.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 10-03-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Ray Charles blue

A great gun.
    Some states that will land you in a Federal "Pound me in the ass" prison.

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    you guys think a red dot sight is worth it? i'm not sure i want something that has a chance of a battery failing....
    No, if you want to put any type of optics on it go with a real scope.

red
    2000 Z28

Don't get me wrong, Aimpoint makes some of the best red-dot optics. You couldn't go wrong between an Aimpoint or Trijicon RMR. They'd be the only red-dots that I'd put on a rifle intended to kill bad guys (my AR currently wearing a H-1 in a LaRue QD powered on for a little over 18 mos. straight).

1. With all the Chinese made clones, I wouldn't buy one used from E-Bay unless they guaranteed it's genuine in writing.
    2. Genuine AP's are nearly bulletproof, but I'd still want to inspect a used one to verify it's function.
    3. If you have an astigmatism, any holographic sight will be fuzzy if you don't shoot with corrective lenses
    4. You can buy at least 100 CR2032 batteries which will last decades in the DMS1 for the difference in price with the budget (but still excellent) Aimpoint Pro.

Summary - Aimpoint's are awesome, don't put one on a 10/22.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    A trigger activated optic is about the silliest thing I've ever heard. Let's face it, the OP isn't going to be using a 10/22 for home defense, and putting an 50000 hr battery life Aimpoint on a $200 rifle is absurd. When you're using the optic, turn it on. When you're not, turn it off. Consider a 1-4x Millet DMS1. It's got decent glass for a $200 scope, nice reticule, variable illumination that uses widely available CR2032 batteries.

thanks for the glass suggestion... i will check it out.... but please don't sell a .22 short..... when things go bump in the night i just may pick up my 10/22 over my 870. lets face the fact that not many people do B&Es in full body armor! a .22 to the head will drop em for good. a semi auto .22 is nothing to laugh at and my ears would thank me for firing it instead of firing that 12ga in the house! prolly would never hear again with a 12ga blast indoors.

Black
    2000 WS6

Might be true but, having someone here that "click click" of a round being pumped into a Mossberg 500 cruiser will definitely cause them to think real hard real fast...LOL

red
    2000 Z28

Home invaders aren't magically vaporized when shot in the head. Especially with a 20-40gr projectile under 150ft/lbs energy. They keep coming, and shoot back. Unless you hit eye/nasal cavities, the likelihood of penetration to the brain is extremely low with no energy.

By all means, if it's your only choice, use it. But it's a really bad choice.

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Might be true but, having someone here that "click click" of a round being pumped into a Mossberg 500 cruiser will definitely cause them to think real hard real fast...LOL
    i agree with this but also consider that once i dress my .22 up to look like an AR nobody is going to question if it is a .22 or not. any ole jackass that comes in to my house would prolly shit himself at the sight of an AR pointed at him. .22 or otherwise.

down the road when i'm ready to pick up an AR none of this will matter because that will be the go to weap. right now i just feel the .22 would be better over the 12ga unless i'm getting attacked by a mob and i need a no bullshit stopper.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    Home invaders aren't magically vaporized when shot in the head. Especially with a 20-40gr projectile under 150ft/lbs energy. They keep coming, and shoot back. Unless you hit eye/nasal cavities, the likelihood of penetration to the brain is extremely low with no energy.

By all means, if it's your only choice, use it. But it's a really bad choice.

A .22 will penetrate just fine. It doesn't exit, which is what makes it deadly. I'd use a .22 for home defense any day, if I wasn't using one of my pistols. And most of the time, any kind of shot will deter an intruder.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    i agree with this but also consider that once i dress my .22 up to look like an AR nobody is going to question if it is a .22 or not. any ole jackass that comes in to my house would prolly shit himself at the sight of an AR pointed at him. .22 or otherwise.

down the road when i'm ready to pick up an AR none of this will matter because that will be the go to weap. right now i just feel the .22 would be better over the 12ga unless i'm getting attacked by a mob and i need a no bullshit stopper.
    I will take my 12 guage with 8 .380 size balls moving at 1300fps from each pull of the trigger. Not to mention you better know what and who is behind your target. Shotguns balls have a better chance of not going through walls and hurting your family in other rooms.

A .22lr will kill someone no doubt. But to argue that its a better close quarters round than the hundreds of different kind of shots you can load a 12 guage with is crazy talk.

Personally I think a shotgun is the first long gun anyone should get. With a .22lr being close second. A shotgun can be used to hunt anything from small game to birds, to turkey/goose to deer. Trap shooting, skeet, sporting clays target. You can put a slug barrel in and hit a single target from 200-300 yards away. You can put put a pen tip size hole in a chipmunk or a fist size hole in a mans chest. I have a single shot 20 guage waiting for my children when they get a bit bigger.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Information