Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Spark plug change on a V6

Ok guys I want to change my own spark plug on my 2000 Chevy Camaro V6. I want to know if I need any special tools ( I should have a spark plug tool in my kit) or anything I should be aware of. What is the steps of changing the plugs. And what make and type will most likely be the best? Thank you in advance.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Just simple hand tools, Ie a rachet, few extensions, swivel and spark plug socket should do the trick.
    Personaly I reccomend using NGK plugs, there good plugs and a fairly decent price. If i recall correctly you should gap around .60
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Iridium (spell?) plugs. My 01 v6 came stock with them. Good plug but pricey. I never used NGK on anything so cant comment on them. Average set of tools can do the job though the rear plug on both sides can be a pain getting the boots off. Good Luck..

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

OK thanks guys. My friend will help me also. He does his own. His car is easier though. He has a 3000GT, and his plugs are on the top lol.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Just simple hand tools, Ie a rachet, few extensions, swivel and spark plug socket should do the trick.
    Personaly I reccomend using NGK plugs, there good plugs and a fairly decent price. If i recall correctly you should gap around .60
    J
    A lot of people recommend this one. These must be some good plugs. The manual says gap says about 0.060.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i would also put some anti-sieze on the threads of the plugs before you install them, they dont need a lot just a thin coating. And I would put dielectric grease on/in both ends of you wires.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    i would also put some anti-sieze on the threads of the plugs before you install them, they dont need a lot just a thin coating. And I would put dielectric grease on/in both ends of you wires.
    Yes I know about the anti-seize, but not the dielectric grease. I will check it out. Thanks guys.

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

alot of plugs now-a days come with anti seize already on the plugs, personaly i never use elec. grease, serves no purpose and is messy but to each is own.
    Make sure you dont over tighting the plugs.
    NGK plugs are common and popular due to there price and quality and the fact that they perform so well.
    J

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    personaly i never use elec. grease, serves no purpose and is messy but to each is own.J
    Serves no purpose?? Messy??

Purpose is to keep your plug boots from sticking to the plug which allows easy removal. If the boot sticks to the plug, you can damage the ignition cable when fighting to get it off.
    Also prevents moisture from causing arcing.
    Apply some boot grease to a Q-Tip swab & swirl it inside the boot.....no mess.

On a side note: NGK are good plugs, but if you don't want to change them every 10-12K get the Iridiums, they will last 3x as long as the copper plugs.
    Last edited by rbob93; 03-30-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Serves no purpose?? Messy??

Purpose is to keep your plug boots from sticking to the plug which allows easy removal. If the boot sticks to the plug, you can damage the ignition cable when fighting to get it off.
    Also prevents moisture from causing arcing.
    Apply some boot grease to a Q-Tip swab & swirl it inside the boot.....no mess.

On a side note: NGK are good plugs, but if you don't want to change them every 10-12K get the Iridiums, they will last 3x as long as the copper plugs.
    Key word "personaly", just my opinioin take it for what its worth, on the same note iv been doing this for while...
    J

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

Ok guys so here is the update. I have bought the NGK Platinum plugs. Now before I install them , How much is the gap suppose to be set at? The manual says a 0.060, but those are for the AC Delco ones. I heard people running plugs with a 0.6 gap. What shall I gap them at? Also if anyone has a writeup on how to install plugs on a camaro I would greatly aprieciate it . I have a long 10" extension and a 4" extension, as well as the plug socket (3/8). Is that sufficient?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
    Ok guys so here is the update. I have bought the NGK Platinum plugs. Now before I install them , How much is the gap suppose to be set at? The manual says a 0.060, but those are for the AC Delco ones. I heard people running plugs with a 0.6 gap. What shall I gap them at? Also if anyone has a writeup on how to install plugs on a camaro I would greatly aprieciate it . I have a long 10" extension and a 4" extension, as well as the plug socket (3/8). Is that sufficient?
    I think you'll be ok just do one at a time. Could'nt hurt to have a 3/8 swivel handy just in case. The rear ones will be the pains but I think you're good to go. I'd go with the factory gap specs too. Take your time you'll be fine.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Pull one wire then one plug.
    Match the length of each new wire with the old one.
    replace one plug one wire.
    move on to the next and do the same.
    Make sure your plug wires are seated (you'll hear and/or feel a "click") and your done.
    Fire it up. If by chance you have a misfire, DONT rev it, just shut it down and go over your work.
    Since you did one at a time nothing should be mixed up. Go around and make sure your wires are secure. Good Luck.....
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-31-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Gray
    2000 Camaro GT Street V6

ok so I should gap the plugs @ 0.060 then right @ the factory specs? Someone wanna second this because IM gonna try it tomorrow.

Thread Information