View Poll Results: Does your stock/unmolested 10-bolt whine?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, not a peep

26 41.94%
  • Yes, just a little, kinda like yours the AC or exhaust hides it

18 29.03%
  • Yes, like a jet-liner taking off

13 20.97%
  • What's a 10-bolt? That thing I broke leaving the dealership when my car was new?

5 8.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

Moser 9 inch in mine. Has a slight whine on decelleration but I'm running 4.11 gears. My old 10 bolt whined really bad during my return home after I trashed it last year. Never whined until that moment. No doubt that it needed help!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    Moser 9 inch in mine. Has a slight whine on decelleration but I'm running 4.11 gears. My old 10 bolt whined really bad during my return home after I trashed it last year. Never whined until that moment. No doubt that it needed help!
    Moser 12 bolt here, 3.73's. Im not to worried about the whine on coast side.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Changing to a heavier gear oil cut the whine in half... that 50-60 MPH range is still louder than I'd like, but it's tolerable. Interestingly, from 80 MPH and up, it's virtually silent.

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

So i have this wine too, and also a clunking noise while decellerating...normally it's when im about to stop or just throw it into neutral and coast. i bought the car in 05 with 60k mi now it has 83k. still hasnt scattered, but it still makes me a little nervous. any ideas?

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

My TA stock 3.23s had a bit of whine, but I only noticed with windows up. Dealer said normal rear end sound. I thought it kinda sounded more like a transmission whine (especially on decel). But I just put in 3.90s and the whine is louder now, but not terrible. The wife doesn't notice it. But I hear it most at around 55-60 mph. After several set-ups to get pattern and backlash right, I'm not playing with it any more.

I do notice a sort-of stuttering sound (like on/off whine) when coasting, almost like you can hear the gears lightly grabbing vs. just coasting freely.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

That's all set up that noise

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    NO

A proper set-up ring and pinion will NOT whine at all. There is a issue with the back lash or the pinion depth.

It doesn't matter what rear end they don't whine. Can you ever think of a time you rode or drove a car that was new or even newer with whiney rear end. . . . . . . . . . ? I can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
    That's all set up that noise
    These are the (2) correct answers in this thread.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    These are the (2) correct answers in this thread.
    This is not necessarily true. The reason you ride in a new car and don't hear anything is that most of the gears in new cars are not cut like some aftermarket types. oem gears made by AAM, Motive Blue box and Yukon normally have a higher pitch cut tooth count and also are made of a softish alloy. When installed correctly these gears should never whine, just like oem.

However aftermarket companies like Richmond and the Motives that come in an orange box (3.90s are only available in the orange box) are street/strip gears. This means that their teeth have less of a pitch in them and are composed of a harder alloy for more strength, consequently this makes them prone to noise. These gears sometimes are quiet but more often than not they will make some noise. Even the pamphlet that came with my motive orange 3.90s stated there is an acceptable whine level with these gears.

I have seen plenty of people who set up these types or gears and no matter what the pattern is they always have a little noise. I agree that if you have an oem gear and its setup correctly then it should be silent however with some aftermarket gears this is not the case per the reasons above.

With that said my old gm 3.42's even installed used were silent. My buddy who installed those installed my same set of 3.90s and the pattern was beautiful along with preload and from 45-55 I have to have the windows down and radio off to hear it though.
    Last edited by redbird555; 02-06-2013 at 05:00 AM.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Thread revival!

Yea, I had one of the best looking patterns, even took pics, with my 3.90s ..... But still have some whine. I don't find it odd or really even notice it anymore. When I do hear I feel good cuz I'm reminded of another awesome mod!

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

I have set up many sets of Richmonds and Motives Italy made performance gear (orange and red box) which are also very good. . . . I have set up many sets of the Motive (blue), AAM, Precision, Dana, Rockwell/Meritor, Nitro, Yukon, US gear, Sierra gear, G2 , Ford racing/Visteon gears, Superior and a few of the china copies....

Only the china copies have i ever had to actually set up and then drive and find a slight noise problem, and had to be set up totally differently then all the other gears named above to maintain quiet operation. Of which now i raise my labor prices considerably when i see them so they'll either go somewhere else or bring them back.

I have had people come to me with vehicles you couldn't talk in once they got past 25 mph.. I had one that was so loud i couldn't believe the guy drove it back and fourth to work for 2 years, even he was in disbelief when he picked up his jeep later and they were quiet, and without a bill for installing new gears.

It is all SET UP, and it's why i tell people setting up gears are not easy, what adjustment do you make when you see a certain pattern, and what patterns make noise, and what patterns are safe to run.

The difference between a noisey gear and quiet gear can be as little as .005 at the pin or BL

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Ugh... my car has chattered for quite a while during initial clutch engagement. Hard to tell where the sound is coming from, but I'm fairly convinced that it is the carrier bearing gone bad, since the on-throttle whine has been getting gradually louder over the last few months. I really don't have the money for a new rear end (especially an after market one), nor do I have the resources to install it, so I'd have to pay for that, too. Kinda heart breaking to hear my car "whining" for help, and not be able to do anything about it....

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

The expense of repairing the whine are far less than whats going to be when you continue to ignore it and the bearing gets more play and teeth mess improperly..

You're looking at a few hundred now vs more than 500, the gear whine can very much probably be because the bearings are on the way out.

The chatter could be a trans mount, or the torque arm mount, if you have the 2pc shaft could be the hanger, don't replace the hanger upgrade to a single piece shaft

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So what can I do? Dump a few hundred bucks on a cheap rear end? Is it possible to put a bigger ring/pinion in there (maybe just swap out the pumpkin, but keep the rest)?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

For what you would pay for a new set of aftermarket gears and to have them installed, you can just buy another used 10-bolt. Used 10-bolts sell anywhere from $125-$300 for the full assembly.

Unfortunately, there really is no real good way to go about making it stronger aside from replacing it with a stronger unit.

Some people have put braces on theirs and have had success with making it last longer.

The risk you run with running a rear-end which you know is on the frits isn't so much the cost of the repair to the rear-end itself, but what else it will damage when it does break.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

What clutch do you have since you have a chatter problem? Also how they are broken in can have an effect on noise also. Gotta gently heat cycle them ahen new before you start hammering them.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I don't know what clutch is in there. I assume its stock, but it is more finicky than other clutches I've driven on other makes and models.

Not really sure how I want to handle the rear end. Dealer seems to not know anything about our cars. The "transmission guy" told me thatthe tranny is so expensive because its a twin countershaft... I walked out of there shaking my head...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I don't know what clutch is in there. I assume its stock, but it is more finicky than other clutches I've driven on other makes and models.

Not really sure how I want to handle the rear end. Dealer seems to not know anything about our cars. The "transmission guy" told me thatthe tranny is so expensive because its a twin countershaft... I walked out of there shaking my head...
    Technically he's right. The t56 is expensive just because its a 6 speed, tremec is the only who makes parts for it and they are highly desirable for swaps. But the tech is right the t56 uses a 2 piece countershaft where the 5/6 gear is. So he may know a little ore than you think though his word choice was poor.

And if it were me like I said i'd swap in some new gears and drive it. 3.90's or 4.10's would really wake the car up and be more fun to drive. If you have some time learn how to do the gears yourself and save the labor if not 500 is still a lot cheaper than a new rear and the odds are you wont break it on the street without some heavy beating on the track.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, I already knew about the "2nd" counter shaft for the OD gears. Still: a "transmission guy" should know what a twin-countershaft transmission is. They also seemed pretty lazy... like they didn't want to waste their time even looking at my car to assess my "concern." I know how to do the gears myself. I just don't have a means or resources to do it. No garage, and my apartment complex would have a cow if I so much as lifted my car off the ground.

Now, the question is: will the dealer be willing to put in non-factory parts...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't see why not, but I've never went to a dealer for anything other than a free oil change so I can't say for certain. I would think a dealer would be the most expensive place you could go to though for that type of work. Have you searched for local shops? Maybe ask FBJ if he knows of any since he lives in AZ as well.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't see why not, but I've never went to a dealer for anything other than a free oil change so I can't say for certain. I would think a dealer would be the most expensive place you could go to though for that type of work. Have you searched for local shops? Maybe ask FBJ if he knows of any since he lives in AZ as well.
    this.. i would find a reputable gear shop to install aftermarket ones rather than jimmy bob at the dealer who's going to price gouge you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information