Thread: Omron Relays

Omron Relays

Hi All

I have a '01 WS-6 with about 13K miles. I've had a starting problem twice in the past year. The first time it was the Starter relay - yesterday it was the Ignition relay.

Also, I had an overheating problem this Summer where the fans were not turning on. Replaced all three fan relays and sure enough - no issues since them.

I've also had to replace my horn relay because the horn wasn't blowing when locking the doors with the key fob. Solved that problem as well with a new relay.

What gives? Do any of you guys have similar "relay problems". I'm just wondering if this might be a common problem with these cars.

All the relays I replaced were the original Omron relays which were still in the fuse box from the factory.

Thanks!
    Dan

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All relays can go bad from time to time as they are simply an electro-mechanical contact. Not sure why you have had so many issues though. Seems rather odd to have that many relays go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    All relays can go bad from time to time as they are simply an electro-mechanical contact. Not sure why you have had so many issues though. Seems rather odd to have that many relays go bad.
    Thanks Jeff - it is odd but I'm wondering if everyone is having the same type of problems with thier relays that I am. I'm on two TA related forms and it just seems like an inordinately large amount of people that own Camaro's and Firebirds around my year (2001) have problems related to relays. I can't help but think this Omron company just didn't make the best product and that maybe it's just a common problem with these cars.

I may be wrong but I think that there was also some sort of service bulletin regarding a starting problem related to relays.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I haven't read many threads or posts on here where a failed relay has been the issue. There have been some, but nothing that has stood out as being a common problem. What did you go with for replacements?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Omron Relays

Excuse me if I missed it, but do you know the history of the car? Sounds like flood gremlins to me.

Got the replacememts at Rock auto. I bought the car at a dealership in Illinois. It was a trade in for a new Z06. Clean Car Fax one owner car. I had someone on here - or another site I forget -run the warranty info on the car and it was never in for a warranty repair. Car had 10K on the clock and was absolutely immaculate when I bought it. 100 % totally original.

The car sees about 2K miles a year if that. Maybe the relays just get hung up from lack of use??

First I've ever heard of it.

Like alot of others here, I've had a few of these cars (4 to be exact) and never once had a relay die on me in any of them. I've especially never heard of someone having to swap 6 relays in the same car. That sounds a bit unusual to me.

Lots of people on here do have relay problems. And lots more on another forum I frequent. Maybe it's something you haven't noticed if you have never actually had the problem.

http://http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/no-spark-wont-crank-52100/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/fan-relays-143832/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/ignitio...e-help-177472/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f9/fans-no...e-help-114859/

There is also a service bulletin related to the relays that I can't find at the moment.

I guess at this point I've gotten to the point where I'm just going to keep some spares in my glove box.

I still don't believe that to be the norm considering all cars on the roads today that use relays and have been for more years than I remember, and I just haven't seen the problem you describe in much of anything. I tend to question the history of all these cars that are having relay issues.

They are cheap though, and carrying spares is always a smart idea.

Thread Information