Thread: Actron CP-9180

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Actron CP-9180

I thought I would post up my opinion on a new scan tool I bought today. My wife has an 05 Durango that threw a code last week. I tried scanning it with my old actron and it would'nt pull the code. I then tried with my autotap and that still didn't show the code. Next I tried my predator and that didn't work. I took it to Advanced Auto and they hooked their newer actron up to it and still no go. I was puzzled to say the least. After digging around I discovered that the durango uses the CAN (Controller Area Network) protocol and none of my scanners or the parts place's supported that. I thought about upgrading my autotap but at some point I'll be switching to HpTuners so that would kinda be a waste of money. I researched scan tools and ordered the CP-9180 from Advanced Auto ( $177).
    Got it today and hooked it up and pulled 2 EGR codes. That scan tool is kick ass for the money. It supports CAN, reads/records data for playback, has a built in code data base that gives you the definition of your code on the tool, lets you look up codes, review data without having it plugged in, state OBD test, O2 monitor test, view freeze frame data, view live engine data, has a USB cable so it's internet updatable and will hook up to your computer to print data. Overall it's well worth the money. I like the actron scanners because they're easier to carry around than a laptop. I'm gonna try to record some data with it and see how that works out.

Side note. Pulling the EGR on an 05 Durango sucks bigtime.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Its amazing how many cars run on CAN. Alot!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've scanned a ton of cars/trucks with my old scanner and haven't run into this problem until now. When looking around I also noticed actron doesn't really make many scanners that use CAN. It also looks like a newer feature for autotap. I see a lot of people buying actrons and then finding out it won't scan their vehicle.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

bump

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I just bought a CP9185 and that thing is amazing! I have been playing with it for two days now!

black
    1999 T/A

I don't know about all cars but i can tell you for sure that most 2005 mitsu and mopar cars are can bus and all 2006 and up are. BTW you should see the MUT-III scanner we have at work.

black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

i have got either the 9180 or 9185. came with the carrying case with all the adapter plugins, etc that you could need. done every vehicle i have needed it to do so far. pretty impressive little tool to say the least

Thread Information