Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 WS.6

Ram Air intake neon

I'm probably going to catch some "ricer" flack for it, but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've got them hooked up to a switch to keep me out of trouble.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i think it looks cool.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

heh...that's pretty cool. I think it's a little bright. maybe wrap some tint around the neons or something to tone it down? I like the 2nd pic. Now put the Nitous purge in the nostrils and it'll look like a damn fire breathing dragon

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

How about some pics of the install.

Do you think the Neon's are going to restrict some of the Air that is coming through the hood?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i am also weary about that.

Black
    2000 WS.6

http://home.ptd.net/~chrispav/transa...ml#turnsignals
    This is not my site, but here is pretty much what I did. I used some of the stuff on this guys page....minus the whole cutting and drilling of holes...

Pics of my install are going to be kinda difficult. You really can't see anything but wires since the tubes are hidden inside the hood near the latch, but I'll try to explain what I did...

I lined the inside of the "nostrils" with foil tape, and stuck the neon down below them. The tubes are probably about 1/4" thick at most, so I don't think air flow restriction is going to be a problem. They aren't blocking anything, and are sitting on the bottom of the intake on the metal in there. I ran the wires up the back baffle, and then back down and out the rear of it. Then I routed them down the hood, through the firewall grommet, along the firewall and to the console where I have a switch stuck in the hole where the lighter used to be.

Essentially, the light shines up to the foil tape, and then out the intake screens...
    Last edited by Bombhunter; 06-12-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS7

Where did you buy the neon?

Black
    2000 WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Runn_WS7
    Where did you buy the neon?
    I got those tubes while I was stationed in Japan, but you can get them at any automotive store...Advance Auto, Autozone etc.

edit: right...I just noticed you're in sweden...you can get them online at Advance Auto's website...

black
    2002 WS6

looks good. I was think of somthing simulare. First thought is of a toaster oven though. Quizinos any one? Sorry couldn't resist. Looks mean.

Scooch
    I think it looks bad ass!!! fire in the nostrils. Did you use "amber" colored neons, cause thats what it looks like. Should be legal to drive with cause they appear to be the same color as the driving lights, yeah?

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Instead of using neon I say go with some lined LED's ...much brighter depending on how many you use you can change the brightness. You can hide them better their smaller more inconspicuous. Where youll just see the glow not a neon or tubing. I too think it looks good its different .. but I wouldnt want to see where the light is coming from. Same reason neons on the bottom of cars are supposed to be hidden.

Goes back to the whole theme of Knight Rider haha .. With the LED's you could set a pulse setting I dont know all kinds of ideas. Id want to have some red somewhere else besides just the induction so its just not sitting all by itself.. like maybe the little accent LED you can put in the headlight assembly that while the lights are off the housing glows whatever color you want. that would look pretty mean with both.

But then again Ill prob get the rice comment.
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

Black
    2000 WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Scooch
    I think it looks bad ass!!! fire in the nostrils. Did you use "amber" colored neons, cause thats what it looks like. Should be legal to drive with cause they appear to be the same color as the driving lights, yeah?
    They are red tubes.

Black
    2000 WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr
    Instead of using neon I say go with some lined LED's ...much brighter depending on how many you use you can change the brightness. You can hide them better their smaller more inconspicuous. Where youll just see the glow not a neon or tubing. I too think it looks good its different .. but I wouldnt want to see where the light is coming from. Same reason neons on the bottom of cars are supposed to be hidden.

Goes back to the whole theme of Knight Rider haha .. With the LED's you could set a pulse setting I dont know all kinds of ideas. Id want to have some red somewhere else besides just the induction so its just not sitting all by itself.. like maybe the little accent LED you can put in the headlight assembly that while the lights are off the housing glows whatever color you want. that would look pretty mean with both.

But then again Ill prob get the rice comment.
    I put the tubes down below the intake, not along the top. That red line you are seeing is just the reflection off the tube. It's just brighter there for some reason...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr
    like maybe the little accent LED you can put in the headlight assembly that while the lights are off the housing glows whatever color you want. that would look pretty mean with both.

Trans Am.

can't quite do that.

foglights yes, headlights no.

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bombhunter
    I'm probably going to catch some "ricer" flack for it, but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've got them hooked up to a switch to keep me out of trouble.

Click for full size
    Click for full size

F**K the ricer flack that is a bad ass job you did. I would like to do something like that to my formula but I have the Brian Green Ram Air system which I don't beleve you do so my install would probably be alot different and more restrictive than yours.

But nice job and F**K the rice commenting people their just envious.

Eddie

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Lol nice ive seen pics of these before on a diff site and I think its cool. I second the nitrous idea if you use nitrous that is. I'm not a big fan of nitrous but if I ever do get it this light mod will definitely be on my list of things to do with the purge shooting out the nostrils.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by funlman View Post
    F**K the ricer flack that is a bad ass job you did. I would like to do something like that to my formula but I have the Brian Green Ram Air system which I don't beleve you do so my install would probably be alot different and more restrictive than yours.

But nice job and F**K the rice commenting people their just envious.

Eddie
    Make you a deal Eddie, I'll take your BGRA off your hands so you can do this neon thing! hahaha. I was trying to get one and I've looked everywhere! they don't make them anymore.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

those look really good, if i had a ram air hood id think about putting them in

Trans Am for life baby SexyTransAm's Avatar

95-black & 80-blue
    95 Trans Am and 80 TA

it looks like it is on fire thats fu(kin sweet!!!

95 TA A4, Black on Black C5 Z06 wheels, CAI, 160 powerstat, TB coolent bypass, TB foil, LT4 Knock Sensor, STB, SFC, Poly trans and torque arm mounts, flowmaster muffler, gutted cat, and hypertech tuned.
    http://www.fquick.com/SexyTransAm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

that looks awesome. what do u mean u have them on a switch so u wont get in trouble???

i think a different color would be cool, but thats just my preference. no flaming here, it looks bad ass.

and +1 on the nitrous purging idea!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information