Hey Zap, you might be able to answer this question

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f70/need-...post1145577169

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Pretty sure I talked around his question, but I responded

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forecast today... possible snow. I was so hoping that we were done with this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Going to drive all over the state tomorrow looking at trucks. Why is it the trucks I'm interested in are always 200 miles away? I have 3 I want to look at and they're all a couple hours away so we're going to basically loop the state. I have my #1 first on the list so in a perfect world I would buy it and be done but that's not how it ever works.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Going diesel again or gas?

I've been shopping and plan on getting something around the summer now that my Durango is paid off. I really, really, really want a diesel but the maintenance cost give me pause. Everything is expensive as fwak on diesels.

But the towing and mpg is just awesome sauce. I don't have a true need for towing much sine it will be mostly just my car for track days, but doesn't mean I don't want the option to either.

I like Dodge Hemi's and obviously GM gas motors but in gas I would want a 6.0L over the 5.3L. In diesel I love the Cummings Turbo 5.9 and the Duramax Turbos.

In my research I've found that:

GM - Duramax depending on the yr you get, a great transmission but the front end ball joints and bushings wear out quickly, the front diff if you get a 4x4 can break if you're off road and towing a heavy load, the heads can lift because GM thought TTY bolts where a great idea to put on heads that have turbos. Anything I left out? IIRC some years had injector issues.

Dodge - the Cummings is awesome however dodge tranny's seem to want to themselves and their interior dashes are worse then f body/C5 dashes cracking.

Ford - Fwak Ford, only diesel I liked are the 7.3's, no longer made, but worse trapped in a Ford body.

Am I missing anything or wrong on?

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

you've been saving your allowance money since the last bad camping trip i see.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have an 06 now which supposedly is the best year of Duramax to own. I've had relatively good luck with mine. Rusted brake and fuel lines and the fuel module (no in tank pump) rusted completely through. Hydroboost brakes suck. The truck has never felt like it's had brakes worth a shit since I've owned it. I've rebuilt hydroboost and on my 3rd power steering pump because the parts store guy talked me into some shitty rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty....my fault....I wanted ac Delco.
    My buddy has an 06 that's been a total piece of shit. He's put close to $20k into it keeping it running. If you have to work on a diesel expect sticker shock on parts. What's a set of LS 1 injectors? $300? A set for a Duramax is ~$2000 and he's done them twice. CP3 Injection pump..... $1000 and he had to do that twice which is why he needed 2 sets of injectors. When his tranny shit the bed he got a steal and found a guy that rebuilt his for about $3000. Plus a ton of other shit.
    I will say that if I didn't need a diesel I wouldn't own one. I would never recommend anyone get one that don't absolutely have to have it. I tow 10k pounds all over the east coast during the summer through PA and VA hills. I can't imagine doing that with gas. I did eyeball the Ecoboost trucks hard for awhile but I'm either over on payload or damn close plus the fueling nightmare of swinging a 40' trailer in and out of gas stations is a deal breaker. With diesel I do truck stops and go through the truck lanes. In and out.
    I'm looking at both Dodge and GM trucks. Whichever I find the right deal for the right truck I'll buy. I'm looking at a long bed crew Dodge, a megacab Dodge, and a crew Duramax tomorrow time permitting. I like that megacab but wished I could get one in long bed form....backing at sharp angles becomes a pain in the ass with that short of a short bed. I have to get out and slide the hitch. I can barely clear the cab without sliding in the GM's so that's a plus....the long bed Dodge though is ideal and the one I'd like to get. They gotta come off the price though....asking $29xxx for truck with 105k miles.

Navy Blue Metallic

My buddy had a 06 Megacab with a manual trans and thought it was by far the best diesel truck by far. He said if he could find another manual one again without special ordering it he'd get another one.

He traded it for a 2014 Duramax and I think he's regretting it. Just spent $2000 on the egr delete, programmer, new piping and a couple of other things on this kit. He showed me the egr and damn was it junked up. Doing the delete has increased his mpg and said it fells much more responsive.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Any diesel with emissions needs deleted. No way around it for reliability alone. The power and MPG are just bonuses.

Don't bother looking for a standard transmission anything in the truck department after this year. No more will be made.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

That's why part of me would like to just get an older 5.9 Cummins. Solid motor with no emissions. I can't do a stick though.....just too much work driving in town with a soda and spitter going. Haha I've saw a couple megacab manuals though. I will delete emissions from whatever I get though. The Regen bullshit on the duramax is a nightmare waiting to happen. Another strike against the Duramax is them going to the cp4.2. it's even weaker than the cp3 pumps and gm doesn't even put a lift pump to help them out. That's why Dodge doesn't have the cp3 problems go does....they add a lift pump. You know it's bad when guys are buying a $60-70k truck and tearing it apart to put an older high pressure pump on it.

Navy Blue Metallic

*** Its the oh snap its MARCH already TRAIN ***

I heard about that too.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Swapped the hydraulic fluid in the transmission and front axle on my tractor. "I had my guy change all the fluids when I got it" I was told. They didn't look that good last spring when I bought it, so I finally got around to changing them. Lovely greasy, milky, nasty shit came out of both. I guess that explains the weep on the oil filter and the stripped drain plug in the transmission.

Navy Blue Metallic

Made some Deer Chili last night and having it for lunch today.

F'waking squirrels are getting into my roof.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Made some Deer Chili last night and having it for lunch today.

F'waking squirrels are getting into my roof.
    get after them squirrels fast man put some corn feed out on the lawn and game on bud.

Navy Blue Metallic

I've nailed one already with my son's bb gun. I can't go blasting them in the hood, neighbors might frown upon that.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Gamo Whisper?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Gamo Whisper?
    I like where you're going but still not going to put holes in my house to get the little shits.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We had a red squirrel that was infiltrating my office after we purchased the building in '16. Plastic rat trap baited with almonds screwed to the base of the oak tree took him out. Unfortunately, we sacrificed a couple of chipmunks in the process.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Not unfortunate....Chipmunks will do more damage than squirrels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information