pewter
    99 Trans Am

Red face need a better ride for my 77 camaro.

My 77 Camaro is in need of a much better ride. I am a lot older now then I was when I brought it. ,every bump or line in the road can be felt,I have all new bushings and front end parts and shocks, and new bushings in the springs. what can I do to get a softer ride out of this old car? I run radial tires with 30 pounds of air in the tires. I'm not rich so don't price me to high. It is a sports car and I use it that way BUT I feel that there is something I can do to get a better ride.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

What shocks and bushings are you currently running in it?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I would like to tell you but I can't remember, all I do know is I ordered the bushings from Classic Industries and they were Energy, the gas shocks are Monroe all around. I know that there is better out there but I need to know what will really make a better ride.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I wish I could say I had a 'lot' of experience in this, but I don't. I installed a full Pro Touring F-Body (company name) suspension system in my car; tubular control arms upper and lower, new stiffer lowering springs front/rear, single adjustable shocks (suck), subframe connectors, solid front subframe bushings etc etc. I drove the car with stock suspension for a year before switching over. When I did the suspension work, it was all at once including pulling the engine and transmission, rebuilding the trans and putting new heads/intake on the engine. Long story short, the car rides like a car built for autocrossing. Most bumps and undulations in the road aren't bad, only the worst/sharpest of bridge transitions and potholes are felt hard through the body.

I had a 'fair' experience dealing with the fella at PTFB. I've since talked with Keith from Custom Works performance, and he tells me the sharpness in my car could very well be remedied with a better shock absorber. He sells Viking double adjustables with his suspension systems, and if I had the money, that's the route I'd take. The rear suspension on my car is the 'harder' hitting end of things, the front seems to be sufficiently damped, but the rear tends to be a little more harsh in the rough.

Honestly, I'm not sure where to point you, other than possibly give Keith a call at Custom Works and see what he might recommend, bear in mind he's in the business of suspension and that's his forte. It's hard to get away from Monroe shocks (they make damn near every parts-store shock absorber out there), but I'm not sure that's the answer for you.

Another thing to consider: stock vs. aftermarket seats. This fall (unfortunately I have not driven the car with them yet) I installed new (takeout) seats in my car. They are much firmer than the stock spring seats. While the factory seats are plenty comfortable, they're quite saggy IMO. Could also contribute to your pains.
    Last edited by Zapper2003; 03-19-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    My 77 Camaro is in need of a much better ride. I am a lot older now then I was when I brought it. ,every bump or line in the road can be felt,I have all new bushings and front end parts and shocks, and new bushings in the springs. what can I do to get a softer ride out of this old car? I run radial tires with 30 pounds of air in the tires. I'm not rich so don't price me to high. It is a sports car and I use it that way BUT I feel that there is something I can do to get a better ride.
    What brand/size tires are you running? You would be amazed the difference that a great set of tires make on a ride vs lower quality ones.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Maybe experiment with shocks? I guess we are talking stock suspension?

Are aftermarket parts are involved? If it's been lowered with springs or some form of a pro touring suspension kit or big wheels with low profile tires installed, I wouldn't expect much ride quality out of it.

We daily drive a 70 Formula and 69 Z/28. Both are stock suspension cars with their original springs in place, stock 15" wheels etc... The Camaro is a little harsh but not terrible. I find the Formula rides pretty nice, it's a heavier car and similar to your 77 Camaro in size. Both cars are a little stiffer in the back but leaf spring cars tend to be that way. I use relatively inexpensive Gabriel shocks on mine and don't find the ride quality all that bad. Both cars are meant to have decent handling from the factory so I guess you give up a little ride quality for that.

They certainly ride better than any 4th gen we had, but those cars also handled better too.

Thread Information