Thread: swirl marks?

Red
    2002 TransAm

Question swirl marks?

Anyone know a good product to remove swirl marks and scratches from the clear coat of my Red T/A? I have a porter-cable DA. I've had no luck with any products. The scratches show up really bad in direct sunlight and shop lights, but in the shade or on a cloudy day, the paint looks flawless.

Thanks for any info.

-Kurt

white
    2002 z28

i would try some mothers polish- , or some contact our sponser ziano or just look at there site.

they have nice packages and heard there the best from everyone on on this site.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

$14

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    Click for full size

$14
    ive heard some good things about that stuff, is it better than alot of the other polishes and waxes youve used?

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

zymol rocks......it is better than any i have ever used. i need to get the whole cleaning system. i recommend it.....

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

anyone else use this zymol? also anyone use it by hand and get good results? dont have the money to spend on a porter cable

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxon1 View Post
    anyone else use this zymol? also anyone use it by hand and get good results? dont have the money to spend on a porter cable

pic of my car after a hand wax w/ zymol

Blog Entries

Navy Blue
    2015 RS

I used a mild rubbing compound over the car. Then use Eagle 1 Nanwax, after that I used a product called Wet Paint. This seems like a lot of work but afterwards the car looked like it was repainted.

Red
    2002 TransAm

paint

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll try both methods in a small area and see which works best! Otherwise, my next step is to have the car color sanded and buffed out professionally.

-Kurt

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

3M fine cut rubbing compound and/or swirl mark remover for dark colored cars. Use it conservatively with your PC buffer. I have and have always gotten great results. Be sure you do wash the area with a dish soap to remove any leftover residue when finished before you apply a wax/polish.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I had some really bad scatches on the hood of my z/28 untill I tried Pinnacle medium and followed up with the ultra fine swirl remover. I used a Lake Country Orange pad on my Porter Cable 7424 for the medium and then a black pad for the fine.

I agree that ZYMOIL is a great wax BUT it only temporarily hides scratches /swirls.If your car gets rained on boom scratches are back. If you get the scratches out then follow up with Zymoil-thats the ticket.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    pic of my car after a hand wax w/ zymol

Click for full size
    Thats beautiful Randy! I swear that car looks brand new. I have got to clay my car soon. I see such a differance.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I've used Zymol before on my red TA and it didn't work that well with getting the light swirl marks and scrathes out of the clear coat - What you said before about marks in direct sun light and shop light, that's excatly what I had....and I have the same color. Here is what worked for me

About 2 weeks ago I used Meguiar's ScratchX on the entire car, and it work! It's a small bottle but it goes a long way. I even applied it by hand. Amazing stuff. The best stuff I've ever used. Then I used Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. Amazing stuff as well.

Blog Entries

Navy Blue
    2015 RS

I used Eagle 1 nanwax on my car, the Camaro. Here what it looks like after waxing it 3 days ago and after a rain. I will have to try some of the other products mentioned here to see which is the best.

Red
    2001 ws6

3M swirl mark remover

white
    1999 Trans am

zaino!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I've used Zymol before on my red TA and it didn't work that well with getting the light swirl marks and scrathes out of the clear coat - What you said before about marks in direct sun light and shop light, that's excatly what I had....and I have the same color. Here is what worked for me

About 2 weeks ago I used Meguiar's ScratchX on the entire car, and it work! It's a small bottle but it goes a long way. I even applied it by hand. Amazing stuff. The best stuff I've ever used. Then I used Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. Amazing stuff as well.
    If you think Scratch X is good get a Porter cable 7424, the proper pads and some Pinnacle medium or ultra fine swirl remover. You will be amazed. I tried Scratch x and it didnt do anything for the scratches I had. Maybe they were just too large.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    If you think Scratch X is good get a Porter cable 7424, the proper pads and some Pinnacle medium or ultra fine swirl remover. You will be amazed. I tried Scratch x and it didnt do anything for the scratches I had. Maybe they were just too large.
    Yup. You're right... I've worked with a Porter cable many times before. I worked for a private detail company for about 4 months when I was in college.

My car has only 20,000 miles on it and has been kept away from any rain/snow all it's life. So, I don't think I am quite ready to hit it with anything other than my hands...

But this one time, I did a job on a 1980's BMW 6 series black, with the Porter. This thing had so many scratches. When I was done, the paint looked brand new. The owner was amazed.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    Yup. You're right... I've worked with a Porter cable many times before. I worked for a private detail company for about 4 months when I was in college.

My car has only 20,000 miles on it and has been kept away from any rain/snow all it's life. So, I don't think I am quite ready to hit it with anything other than my hands...

But this one time, I did a job on a 1980's BMW 6 series black, with the Porter. This thing had so many scratches. When I was done, the paint looked brand new. The owner was amazed.
    I cant blame you for not wanting to use anything too harsh on that car. wow 20,000 miles! I wish I had one like that! My car came with several scratches (probably close to the BMW you did) and the PC worked like magic! It took some time but well worth it.

Thread Information