Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2002 trans am ws6

70's 454 chevelle

Alright guys how fast were this things on the 1/4 mile stock and how much power were they putting down. The reason that I am asking is because there is this guy at work always telling me about his chevelle.( as far as I know its his dad's but he's always saying MY CHEVELLE haha) and he keeps telling me that there is nothing out there that can bit it. Btw the car should be stock.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No idea how fast he is, but if he's all stock I'll race him for pinks. Lots of the stock stuff ran mid to high 13's back in the day it seems. Ask Firebirdjones for his thoughts -- I'll bet he has a pretty good idea.

If we are talking about a stocker, it would depend on the year and which engine/drivetrain options.

Everyone considers the big dog chevelle to be the 70 LS6, which was in terms of HP. 450 to be exact. If it's optioned with 4.10 gears, and a 4 speed with a good driver, they ran low 13's on the stock bias plys at about 108-110 mph back in the day. I have an old Hot Rod road test of that exact model with different editors driving it that went 13.40's.

Some were slower because again, the standard rear gear was a 3.31 with that engine, which cuts performance a tad. They were built with many different trans/rear gear combos.

In pure stock racing right now, there are 5 or 6 LS6 70 chevelles racing on the stock bias plys that are dipping into the 12.50 bracket, the fastest being 12.20's. Seems to be about the limit in stock form for those cars.

We all know in 71 the HP dropped accross the board. 72 was unchanged, GM just went to a net rating rather than gross which accounted for another drop in HP (just a different rating system), but the entire package was identical. They were obviously slower. My 72 SS 454 when it was bone stock and had 70,000 miles I went a best of 14.17 at 98 mph, that was 25 years ago. Big difference from the 70 LS6 model huh? I still have that car, now modified and running 11.40's.

If we are talking about a modified car (of any year) than I'd say all bets are off. No telling how quick it could be.

Here is one example of a stock LS6 that currently runs pure stock (little F70-14's and all). Not the quickest LS6 in the class but gives you an idea. This one ran a 12.80 here at 111.77 mph. With the right driver these things haul the mail. As you can tell by how he runs the goat down on the top end, these things make some HP. Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks, FBJ! We have 2 nostalgia events at our local track every year. There is nothing cooler than watching old iron fly down the track.

White
    '10 ZR1

FBJ is the man for knowledge of racing

IF they've updated the car at all, you'd hope they have some DR's on it to take the bias ply factor out of the equation. In my Camaro, I was able to cut a 1.9 60' time with the old ZZ502 in it, and Cooper Cobras.........but, who knows.

His comment of, "there's nothing around that will beat it".....is most likely nothing more than pride.

2002 trans am ws6

Thanks for the replies. I think the chevelle he's talking about It's an automatic. tomorrow when I see him I'll find out more details.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    FBJ is the man for knowledge of racing

IF they've updated the car at all, you'd hope they have some DR's on it to take the bias ply factor out of the equation. In my Camaro, I was able to cut a 1.9 60' time with the old ZZ502 in it, and Cooper Cobras.........but, who knows.

His comment of, "there's nothing around that will beat it".....is most likely nothing more than pride.
    Yeah there is no doubt these Pure Stock cars would be much quicker if you take the tires out of the equation. With a little driving skill, and some mild suspension tweaks that are allowed under pure stock rules,,,these old Goodyear Polyglass tires aren't too horrible. My best 60 foot on them with a little finess is a 1.89 in my 70 formula. It's an auto so it's a bit easier to deal with, the stick guys have a hard time but they usually put the HP down on the top end and you see better mph that sometimes makes up for it.

I simply loved that racing, since the little bias ply tires are an "equalizer" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think the chevelle he's talking about It's an automatic. tomorrow when I see him I'll find out more details.
    Actually the automatic is the favored trans in these pure stock and fast competitions, since little bias ply tires are used. There are some dedicated stick guys out there though, and there is nothing I like watching/doing better.

Really how fast your buddies car is,,,is anybodies guess. If he gave you a run down of what it is and things that have been done, how much it weighs (I have a good idea on that ) Some of us could probably tell you what it "should" run or to put it better,,,,,"what it's capable of". But everyone likes to do a little smack talking, it's part of the fun

2002 trans am ws6

I have been asking him to bring it out so we can run my car against his just to see where I stand at (he would probably bit me bad but I rather do it than talk about it), it seems like he doesn't want to drive it or his dad won't let him.

A young kid? It's probably dad's car. Not likely to see that stuff running around the streets all that often as these things have become more and more collectable. Chances are pretty slim that someone would bother driving it in just for a make shift street race. I know I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thanks, FBJ! We have 2 nostalgia events at our local track every year. There is nothing cooler than watching old iron fly down the track.
    You bet, I can't get enough of it. I find anymore, that's the only time I spend at the track anymore, nostalgia events.

2002 trans am ws6

He's like 23 and I agree I wound drive that thing only for car shows and to cruise around. The cheapest that I have seen around here the guy wanted 25 grand. I will still ask him to get some details out of curiosity cause I know a race probably will never happen. I even showed him this video and he said that the camaro on the video wouldn't be able to win haha

And 25K for a chevelle doesn't seem to get you much anymore either.

2002 trans am ws6

Talk to the guy today and he told me that it is in fact a 70 and automatic. He didn't know what gears it had.

If it is in fact a real 454, chances are better that is was probably born and LS5 and not the LS6 anyway. If he isn't sure on the rear gear, I'd say he wouldn't know much else about it either.

So many clones out there anymore too....

White
    '10 ZR1

If it's an LS5, and stock, you'll kick his ass up one side, and down the other - hands down.

2002 trans am ws6

I would like to shut him up. But I don't see that happening sense he won't drive the car.heck if I were to lose I wouldn't care I just want to see where I stand at.

White
    '10 ZR1

Oh well I guess. Maybe you should ask him if his Daddy wants to bring it out. It's doubtful anyway, at best.

If it pisses you off when he's flapping his lips, just tell him to put up, or shut up. It isn't worth any further discussion until he backs it up. Until then, no one That's how I see it.

No one cares if "nothing out there can beat it" if they never drive it or aren't willing to.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 03-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post

No one cares if "nothing out there can beat it" if they never drive it or aren't willing to.
    To add to this I've always been told "there is always something faster" no matter how fast you are

To the op, sounds like someone who just likes to run their mouth and/or has no knowledge of cars. Give him a ride in your car and see if that shuts him up.

Thread Information