Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Want some advice about some heads.

I have a 2000 z28, it already has an ls6 cam but it has 853 heads and ls1 intake, i have full bolt ons and a dyno tune. I was thinking since i already have the cam the ls6 heads and intake would be a good package for it and of course a new tune after. From what ive seen this seems like the cheapest route to go in my situation for some more power. How much power would i be expecting to put down after the new heads and intake and tune? Also would i need get bigger injectors or would my stockers be sufficient? Also can the heads be done with the engine still in the car? Ive done dozens of head on 5.3's and 6.2's but i feel like the engine in our cars is too tucked under the cowling to do it. Thanks for the advice and im not looking to spend more than $1500.

If you don't want to spend more than $1500, I'd just do an LS6 intake and leave it at that.

Used LS6 heads are $3-$500 and any of those will at a minimum need to be sent to the machine shop to check out, possible mill, new springs, valve job, possible new guides, etc.....You might spend another $600 or more at the machine shop.
    No way would I take someone's word and just throw a used set of heads on. Way too much work (and money) to find out there is a problem after the fact. Much better off (in my opinion) to buy a set of ported LS6 heads from Texas Speed ready to go, or an inexpensive new casting like RHS that are ready right out of the box. If you can fit that in your budget, by all means.....

With that said, yes heads can be done in the car on these 4th gens. Although I don't care for it, but that's an old man talking

As far as power, My wifes SS has a Crane version of the LS6 cam (on a 112 lsa), stock 853 heads, and an LS6 intake, long tubes and an SD tune. Otherwise stock. I personally like the combo, drives like a stocker and knocks down 30 mpg. Never had it on a dyno but others with similar setups say 370 RWHP on a dynojet isn't unusual around here. I can tell you that I trap 111 mph + in the AZ heat (weighs 3750 with me in it), which seems to be on target with that HP claim.
    If I were to do heads I'd probably just go for a brand new set. Honestly though, I'm happy with how it runs, and it's just a driver anyway.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the advice firebird, i wish i could afford some ported ls6 heads its gunna be a couple months before i can even start looking for some heads so im hoping ill just give it time and ill run across some ls6 heads that i feel comfortable buying. I defianntly want new heads and intake so im gunna wait till i have the money for all of it and do it all at once. But do you know if my stock injectors will be alright? Or if some higher flowing ones would benefit me more?

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Used 243's plus the cost of porting will come to right around a grand...for that you could find some new patriots,etc. already done from a vendor...either way its not cheap....You can definately find some good heads for under 1500 though.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well I figured 243 heads for 400-500 then ls6 intake for 300-400, Injectors for 200 then a another dyno tune, I figured that would put me at about $1500

Those $500 LS6 heads are going to need about $5-600 worth of machine shop bills though.

I personally wouldn't even attempt at sticking used heads on unless you are willing to take that gamble.
    If a problem occurs then you are out a set of head gaskets at about $70, antifreeze, and all your labor is worth something. Up to you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm willing to take the gamble if I find some. I'm hoping to find some at a junkyard off a wrecked 5.3. Or just maybe I'll somehow acquire some from the shop.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by ldurham View Post
    I'm willing to take the gamble if I find some. I'm hoping to find some at a junkyard off a wrecked 5.3. Or just maybe I'll somehow acquire some from the shop.
    Yea good luck on that...Ebay sells used 799's/243's for 300-350....you could just get some bowl blending done and pick up an additional 10-15 hp, it also wouldnt be that expensive.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    Yea good luck on that...Ebay sells used 799's/243's for 300-350....you could just get some bowl blending done and pick up an additional 10-15 hp, it also wouldnt be that expensive.
    Would you send me a link to some 243's on eBay that are 300-350 bucks? And I don't wanna port them anything I just wanna upgrade from 853's to 243's that's all...I don't have much money to spend so I'm just keeping my eye open on craigslist and eBay and parts classifieds.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Im at work and ebays blocked, just type in LS6 heads that should work...honestly for the work involved it would be a sin to just throw on some stock 243's..if your doing your own own work yank the 853's and send them to AI to work there magic...500 bucks and im sure you'll be a lot happier, a few hundred more bucks and you can have them ported...This is one area you dont wanna skimp on...if you cant afford it yet, save longer, thats the reason im sitting on a room of parts waiting to be installed...or hit the LS1tech for sale section that 1500 bucks could be used very wisely.

Advanced Induction - LSX Cylinder Heads

Thread Information