Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Stall question for FI

I have a torque converter question. I am trying to decide what stall to get. My goals for my TA is to make it into a high speed handling road racer. I plan on procharging it at some point and before that I am going to put in a blower cam with these specs 232/240 .595/.608 LSA 115 and I am wondering what size stall should I run. I was thinking of a 4000 stall but I was reading that prochargers really start making power around 3000 and started to wonder if a 4000 stall would actually hurt the power I will be making instead of helping. So my question in this case is would it be better to run something in the 3000s or would a 4000 stall be better.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I just had a Yank SS3600 installed and I couldn't be happier with it. Granted, I am still on stock internals, but I wouldn't go any higher on an FI motor, regardless of cam specs.

Also, if you care about true high speed characteristics, a more agressive stall with a higher STR will impact efficiency and potentially reduce top end performance.

I'm no expert, but that's my direct experience. I think with a 4000 you're stalling into the meat of your powerband and you're not taking advantage of a good bit of power you're making, not to mention you'll blow the tires off the car when that power hits.

My setup will destroy the ET Streets all through first gear as-is and I don't have a very aggressive setup.

Here's a very rough instrument panel video to give you an idea:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6eQ3d2Bcs[/ame]

Ultimately though, I would suggest you contact a reputable TC manufacturer and ask them this question. They will be able to give you a definitive answer based upon your input regarding power levels, weight, performance goals, driveability, etc. I think Yank and Circle D are great places to start, but that's just an opinion.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by See Me In My GTP View Post
    I just had a Yank SS3600 installed and I couldn't be happier with it. Granted, I am still on stock internals, but I wouldn't go any higher on an FI motor, regardless of cam specs.

Also, if you care about true high speed characteristics, a more agressive stall with a higher STR will impact efficiency and potentially reduce top end performance.

I'm no expert, but that's my direct experience. I think with a 4000 you're stalling into the meat of your powerband and you're not taking advantage of a good bit of power you're making, not to mention you'll blow the tires off the car when that power hits.

My setup will destroy the ET Streets all through first gear as-is and I don't have a very aggressive setup.

Here's a very rough instrument panel video to give you an idea:

Ultimately though, I would suggest you contact a reputable TC manufacturer and ask them this question. They will be able to give you a definitive answer based upon your input regarding power levels, weight, performance goals, driveability, etc. I think Yank and Circle D are great places to start, but that's just an opinion.
    Thanks for the input. Yeah I thought getting a 4000 stall would not be taking advantage of a bunch of the power band. Well I just contacted circle d and I'll see what they have to say.

Black/ Silver

I talked to circle d and they suggested their 258mm converter with either single or multi disc lock up with a 3200-3400 stall. What are the benefits and or disadvantages of single vs multi lock up?

White
    1998 Trans Am

My friend had the multi disc in his c5 and it is modded and see's a lot of track time and is now getting a stroked 421 if I remember right and his stall has never had an issue yet after years of hard driving. I have a circle d 3200 street stall and works great for almost a year now. Going to upgrade to a 3600 to fit my cam better but those guy build great stalls and never heard of anyone here having one go bad yet.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I talked to circle d and they suggested their 258mm converter with either single or multi disc lock up with a 3200-3400 stall. What are the benefits and or disadvantages of single vs multi lock up?
    I don't know that there are disadvantages with either, aside from the $2-300 more you typically pay for a multi-disc setup. The multi-disc is going to be even more durable than the single and have more clutch area, but I don't think you NEED to go that extreme with your setup. That's not to say that a good single disc is weak by any means, just that the multi will take things a step further.

I know Chris advertises WOT lock-up with his multi-disc converters, but it may be overkill depending on how far you go with your FI setup. Typically a good, billet single disc will be plenty for most people. I'm not sure how the multi-discs drive on the street either, could potentially be a harsher lock-up engagement as well.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by See Me In My GTP View Post
    I don't know that there are disadvantages with either, aside from the $2-300 more you typically pay for a multi-disc setup. The multi-disc is going to be even more durable than the single and have more clutch area, but I don't think you NEED to go that extreme with your setup. That's not to say that a good single disc is weak by any means, just that the multi will take things a step further.

I know Chris advertises WOT lock-up with his multi-disc converters, but it may be overkill depending on how far you go with your FI setup. Typically a good, billet single disc will be plenty for most people. I'm not sure how the multi-discs drive on the street either, could potentially be a harsher lock-up engagement as well.
    Chris said that the drive ability of multi disc is the same as single disc. Do you think it would be possible to upgrade the converter to multi disc if I end up needing it later down the road?

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

The main difference between a single disk and multi disk converter is you can lockup a multi disk at WOT.

Black/ Silver

I know that much. I was more of wondering if its worth the extra $300 and in what situations would a multi disc be better, like when would I need a multi disc over a single.

Thread Information