Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Need help deciding

Hey guys, well i'm wanting to do AIR delete on my '98 Z28. It has a little over 137,000 miles and i think the AIR system may be holding back my MPG, plus i want to get rid of the clutter. My question is though, besides my SES light coming on, will it affect my car running? If there is a sticky for this or something somebody please point me in the right direction, THANKS GUYS!
    98 Z28 A4 (DD) -
    Go Fast: Lid, filter, free ram air, egr mod, dynomax race bullet, !AIR
    Suspension: Founder's Performance LCA's, PHB, strut brace
    Looks: SS spoiler, 18" C6 Z06's.
    '83 Camaro Z28- 355, current full restoration

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I removed it all on mine and didn't notice any changes... except a much better looking engine bay! I actually did have my EGR valve go bad a few years before... and that caused the car to run rough, so I was glad to get it out of there.

Once removed, there is a good change your SES light will trigger. So you will either have to live the SES light being on, or get someone to tune it out.
    2000 WS6 TA #2946 - A4, Best 1/4: 12.5s @111mph.
    SLP LTs, 228r Cam, SY 3500, Shift kit, LS6 intake, underdrive pulleys, lid, p&p TB, Borla w/ cutout, Pro-kit springs, poly all around, Hotchkis suspension, 3.90 gears, tuned.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 666ws6 View Post
    I removed it all on mine and didn't notice any changes... except a much better looking engine bay! I actually did have my EGR valve go bad a few years before... and that caused the car to run rough, so I was glad to get it out of there.

Once removed, there is a good change your SES light will trigger. So you will either have to live the SES light being on, or get someone to tune it out.
    Yea i can live with the SES light for a while. I will get her tuned probably around spring time. Any decent write ups out there of the EGR and AIR delete process?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Thanks a lot man! If i'm understanding correctly, on my '98 car there is no diverter valve or vacuum control solenoid?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe that is correct since on 99s it didn't have those. 98's should be the same as 99's.

It really is simple to do. Just don't over-think it and do it!

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Lol i'll be doing it tomorrow

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The air pump isn't loosing you mpg's. But the bay will look more friendly with it gone.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The air pump isn't loosing you mpg's. But the bay will look more friendly with it gone.
    I was reading on ls1tech that there were people that had the air still on their cars, and the check valves had went bad and it was costing them mpg's, and their cars had lower miles than mine. I was thinking that maybe it could have something to do with it. If not, no biggie. I just want it off there.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've NEVER kept track of MPG on my SS and don't ever plan on it

I guess if it's your DD then that is something that I would consider, but I thought the air pump was just there to aid in the initial start-up of the car to add more fresh air into the manifolds to get things up to temp faster and then after that it was pretty much useless.

I don't run cats so I removed mine after my Kooks LT install.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I keep track of mine pretty consistently. But yes it is my DD and i drive it a lot.

I'm not sure if it would affect MPG or not. I removed ours almost as soon as we bought them. The more electronic crap I can eliminate the happier I am

I generally like to keep track of MPG on all our cars. Not because I really care about MPG, but it helps to alert me of a potential problem if I see a drastic change.

Case in point. Checking my wifes car weekly, I found the MPG drop suddenly by 3-4 mpg. I knew something was up. I scanned it and didn't see anything, no SES light. It continued with poor mileage for a few more weeks.

Wouldn't ya know, about a month later the SES light came on. It had a code for both 02 sensors. One side was slow switching and the other side was a heater code.

Changed both 02's and MPG picked right back up. I already knew something was wrong with it so it wasn't a surprise.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

With mine being a summer car that sees spirited driving when I take it out there would be no way for me to determine if my MPG is consistent or not. That's mainly why I don't do it. I would have to drive it the same or about the same each time to figure it out, and I never do.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Yea whether it affects MPG or not i don't care, i just want it off there so it looks better. I'm just contemplating on how i'm gonna fab up my own block off plates.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

i fuckin hate the EGR and AIR SYSTEM... i dnt see the point of that..
    and is ilegal to take it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i hate cali laws
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    i fuckin hate the EGR and AIR SYSTEM... i dnt see the point of that..
    and is ilegal to take it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i hate cali laws
    the egr reduces emissons like nox and the air system preserves the cats when the car runs rich upon start-up.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Got the AIR system off. In the process, i broke the vent tube that runs from my back driver side valve cover to the other valve cover. Not real sure what to call it. So i go to my local dealership, $137, HOLY $h!t! That's ridiculous for a piece of plastic with rubber ends. I looked at every local salvage yard, luckily the last one i went to had the piece and i know the guy, so he just gave it to me. Everything is good now though!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroGuy83 View Post
    Got the AIR system off. In the process, i broke the vent tube that runs from my back driver side valve cover to the other valve cover. Not real sure what to call it. So i go to my local dealership, $137, HOLY $h!t! That's ridiculous for a piece of plastic with rubber ends. I looked at every local salvage yard, luckily the last one i went to had the piece and i know the guy, so he just gave it to me. Everything is good now though!
    If it breaks again you can use a right angle boot from a spark plug wire or get you a longer piece of rubber hose. As long it is not bent you are good. I replaced all of the old hoses and plastic tubing with new rubber hoses and brass fittings.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Yea i actually ended up using the right angle boot from a spark plug wire on that side. It broke on the other side too though where it Y's off or whatever you wanna call it.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroGuy83 View Post
    Yea i actually ended up using the right angle boot from a spark plug wire on that side. It broke on the other side too though where it Y's off or whatever you wanna call it.
    Yeah my Y fitting was broken too. I end up using a brass fitting and new hose to the plastic fittings.

Thread Information