blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

radiator removal, have to take out a/c condensor??

Im getting ready to change my radiator in a 99'z28 (its cracked) and i was reading the haynes manual and it says you need to discharge the a/c and remove the a/c condensor, do i really have to do all that or is there an easier way (one without discharging a/c)??

If i do have to discharge the a/c, how do i do that?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yes, you have to remove the AC condenser. You can just swing it out (condenser) and hang it. Removing the radiator does not require to discharge the system. Check out this site, scroll down.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23#part1

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

ok thanks, thats awesome. i was really dreading discharging the system.......

well it just started raining, anyone ever work on there car in the rain? lol, im really considering it, i wanna drive this thing bad!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

How about you come work on mine in the snow, sub 32* weather, I will come work on yours in the big bad rain?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    How about you come work on mine in the snow, sub 32* weather, I will come work on yours in the big bad rain?

oh hell no! LOL. I wouldnt be outside doing anything if it was that cold out..... where i live we dont even get snow....hell it doesnt get below freezing but maybe one or two times a year.....i dont know if i could hang in that cold weather.......but you can still come work on mine if you want

Its funny because my cars parked on the street in front of my house and all the people driving bye are looking at me like im a crackhead, but f**k it, i want my car fixed

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Yes, you have to remove the AC condenser. You can just swing it out (condenser) and hang it. Removing the radiator does not require to discharge the system. Check out this site, scroll down.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23#part1
    No you don't, I never did. And from the LS1Howto article you linked:
    Lifting the radiator up and out....that sounds so easy doesn't it? HA! This part can sometimes be frustrating, so be patient. While trying to remove the radiator, you'll need to make sure that on the drivers side you don't catch on the AC condenser hard lines. The large coolant hose will want to snag on things. Keep wrestling with it until the radiator/fan assembly comes out totally, and set it aside. The AC condenser will stay in the car for the whole install.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Alright guys, I got everything put back together fired it up and everything seemed to be in good working order.....i let it idle for about ten minutes looking for leaks (as best as i could, its pouring rain.....anyways the car temperature is good the radiator doesnt seem to be leaking so i take it for a test drive and after about two miles i hear this squeaking sound (only while idleing, not while the car is moving) its not very loud and then it proceeds to get louder little by little. Well the tranny cooler line was leaking and i think the tranny was squeaking? would it make a squeeking sound? if it got low on fluid because i checked it and it was a little low so i added some and the squeaking seemed to go away?? since i bought the car yesterday it has had a squeek at cold start that goes away when it warms......but the squeak im talking about now didnt go away at all....till i added the tranny fluid....so my questions are...

1. would a tranny squeak like that if it got low on fluid?
    2. If it was the tranny is my tranny damaged now?

oh and its an auto......
    Last edited by ggino85; 02-24-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    No you don't, I never did. And from the LS1Howto article you linked:
    Maybe I misspoke causing a confusion. When I said "you have to swing it out" I was referring that it is attached to the radiator. Its going to move, but doesn't need to be disconnected from the lines. Hence, Not having to discharge the system. To replace the the radiator, the condenser stays physically attached and remains "in car". I think OP understood even with my misused words that the condenser doesn't have to actually be removed or disconnected.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

ok well i just took it to the store and it drove perfect for the mile and half there (no squeak/squeal, nothing...... and then wright as i pulled in the parking lot of the store it started with the squeaking again....... i started on the way home and it was barely squeaking and by the time i got home it was pretty loud....it also makes a squeek or whine rite when you shut it off, i havnt been able to see if the trans line connected to the radiator is leaking still (its dark and raining) but im sure it is....... im just not sure if low fluid would make the tranny squeak/whine?

oh one more thing, it doesnt squeek when your on the throttle, when you give it gas the squeak goes away and when its idleing/coasting/deccelerating it does squeek/whine. (sound seems to come from all over not just one side)
    Last edited by ggino85; 02-24-2010 at 04:27 AM.

Pewter
    2001 TA

You should get an ez up canopy for situations like this. Working in the rain sucks.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Caribe View Post
    You should get an ez up canopy for situations like this. Working in the rain sucks.

Yeah there were times when i was thinking "damn, why didnt i just go see how much a shop would have charged me to do this'' LOL...... it was pretty bad.......but im sure i saved myself a couple hundred dollars, the shops around here charge $89.99 just for a coolant flush so i could imagine the $$ put in a new radiator.......plus i just prefer to do my own work (if i can).....but i will definitely get some kind of canopy so i dont have to work under direct rain in the future...its definitely not fun.

Thread Information