2006 GTO

suggestions on a new daily driver?

So any suggestions for a daily driver? I am hoping to keep it below 4k

Get good gas mileage.. and be able to get me to work in the bad conditions..

I live in TN so we don't get much snow.. but still get some ice..

I was thinking of Jeep Cherokee but they don't get that great of gas mileage..

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

http://lesautosales.net/Trucks.html ...couple here.4x4 Ranger and 4x4 Escape

http://lesautosales.net/Others.html ...check out the Maxima

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by tallnick View Post
    So any suggestions for a daily driver? I am hoping to keep it below 4k

Get good gas mileage.. and be able to get me to work in the bad conditions..

I live in TN so we don't get much snow.. but still get some ice..

I was thinking of Jeep Cherokee but they don't get that great of gas mileage..
    Right about the MPG. I have a '94 Cherokee, the wife drives it, best highway mileage is 19. City is 15-16. Reliable, but not good MPG.

Silver
    At least its paid for.

I have a 98 Accord V6 coupe. It gets around 27-28 mpg. It has some pretty good power and it is good in any conditions. Had it for 3 years now been very reliable. Its a great daily driver.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I'd try to see if i could get a 7th gen impala, if i was in the market for a dd, that'd be the car of choice for me. Good mpg's, looks good.

You may not be able to get one for quite 4k but i'd save up a lil more so you don't have to buy a piece of junk.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

1985 Honda Civic Coupe HF

Begin search here:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Regular Gasoline
    40 City
    43 Combined
    48 Hwy

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Find yourself an early 90's Honda Accord.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by loasdrums View Post
    1985 Honda Civic Coupe HF

Begin search here:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Regular Gasoline
    40 City
    43 Combined
    48 Hwy

Click for full size
    You posted a CRX though

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I dont get this beater car thing, why should you drive a pos when all you have to do is work harder and get more money so you can have something nicer?

Doesn't make since driving a pos to me when you don't really have to.

Not knocking anyones decision and don't mean to start a flame war, i'm just saying, the guy has a job, why does he want to drive a pos when he doesn't have to? You could still get something nicer and have good mpg's and still have the reliability factor in play.

I just don't get it, I say this intending not to knock your decision OP.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^I'd say because most people don't have a lot of extra $$$. And, 3-4 grand will buy a pretty decent winter beater. Hell, you might even want to keep it sorta clean! For me, a winter beater means never washing it, and only being sure it's reliable and has good heat.

So, stop flaming/knocking people, eh? LOL J/K!

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

ive seen some gtp down here for about 3500 u might wanna try lookin for one of them out there where u are. i wouldnt mind havin a gtp as a dd

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

To touch on TransamWS6's point.... I'd love to have a fully loaded Hyundai Genesis sedan 4.6 as a DD. but even living at home and making ok money it's just not affordable to me. Which is why I was fortunate enough to track down a well maintained Saturn that looks brand new and drives it too. I'll drive a cheap car for now. I have my nice car. It's going to spend it's winter in a nice garage safe from the snow. While my cheap Saturn will deal with the harsh road salt and snow of a NY winter. One day I'll have my own place. Maybe some money, one could hope, and my DD will probably be something like a Benz E class or BMW 5 series(or my ultimate fantasy a CTS-V 09+). Until affording something like that is something of an afterthought i'll enjoy my cheap little Saturn.

Not trying to flame... just shedding some light so don't take my opinion the wrong way.

As for what I would buy? If you drive a stick you almost can't beat the S series saturns for price/reliability. I haven't had to put a dime into my satty since i've owned it and it's 13 years old!!!! plus the SL1 or SC1 can hit 40+ mpg easy. though the SL/SC2's have more power. perhaps the best Saturn to get in that price range is an SL2 wagon. plenty of cargo space, peppy and economical engine that will pull off near 40MPG in regular driving and great reliability. Plus they handle fantastic. I've seen them beat some high dollar hardware at the autox.

if you don't drive stick.... stay away. saturn fans call the automatic the "autotragic" you can imagine why.

Hypermilers have gotten stock SC2's up to 60mpg btw

2011 Prius

I love beaters! The best beater we ever had was an old $400 Nissan, damn reliable car and great gas millage. You don't care where you park and fun to do e-brake turns in... Pesky people a few streets down? Get in the beater and take out the trash cans plus half there garden. Who cares it's a POS. Most fun I ever had was in a beater.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I dont get this beater car thing, why should you drive a pos when all you have to do is work harder and get more money so you can have something nicer?

Doesn't make since driving a pos to me when you don't really have to.

Not knocking anyones decision and don't mean to start a flame war, i'm just saying, the guy has a job, why does he want to drive a pos when he doesn't have to? You could still get something nicer and have good mpg's and still have the reliability factor in play.

I just don't get it, I say this intending not to knock your decision OP.
    Cars depreciate in value quickly. To a person unlike you and I, who is independent (regarding tax responsibility, not the intangible concept) and has to pay rent/mortgage, car payments, utilities, etc etc, if you already have a nice car for the summer, weekend, or just every now and then, they're not as worried about the perceived quality (Read: materialism) of a second vehicle that will only be used for it's utility and not anything derived from pleasure (Such as it being part of a hobby, or what status one may gain from it). In this sort of situation a person would be much wiser to purchase a 'beater' car that does it's job, saves the owner money, is reliable, etc and put the saved money toward a more financially sound investment, as opposed to buying a more expensive car because it has leather seats and nifty styling, yet will look old and boring in a few years.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

gotcha op

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8UtRNCztVI[/ame]

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

found the link to the hypermiler driving an S series. it's a 1999 SL2 with a 5 speed. so it's a 4 door. not sure if it's a wagon or not. I like my coupe tyvm lol. but heres the link showing his gas mileage.... of..... 74MPG!!!!!

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...)&viewcar=3029

Thread Information