Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Putting them to bed.

I thought our cars would be off the road by now, but the weather has actually been quite nice. Seventy degrees in November is not normal, but that's what it was this past weekend so the cars have been driven.

I have been debating over a car cover for months. First thought was a big buck flannel lined interior dust cover. Second thought was an ultra lightweight nylon dust cover.

The cars are stored in a heated garage kept at about 55 degrees throughout the winter. Our garage does get dusty and the Trans Am is an absolute dust magnet. What do you recommend?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I thought our cars would be off the road by now, but the weather has actually been quite nice. Seventy degrees in November is not normal, but that's what it was this past weekend so the cars have been driven.

I have been debating over a car cover for months. First thought was a big buck flannel lined interior dust cover. Second thought was an ultra lightweight nylon dust cover.

The cars are stored in a heated garage kept at about 55 degrees throughout the winter. Our garage does get dusty and the Trans Am is an absolute dust magnet. What do you recommend?
    I am cheap I use old bed sheets, about 3 of them to cover the car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I am cheap I use old bed sheets, about 3 of them to cover the car.
    Our garage faces west, so when the doors go up we often get a blast of wind. Need something that will stay on the cars and weighing the sheets down with stuff is not an option.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Our garage faces west, so when the doors go up we often get a blast of wind. Need something that will stay on the cars and weighing the sheets down with stuff is not an option.

I understand. I don't have an issue with the wind so I can cheap out. I know walmart sells cheap covers but if you want something good they can go way over a couple hundred

black
    2002 WS6

I leave mine un covered and wash it in the spring when it comes back out, It currently gets stored in one of those portable garage things, out side, on bare ground. just enough to keep the snow and debris off, but gets plenty dusty and condensation drips on to the car.

Keeping it in a heated garage really doesn't need a cover. A car duster should be good, dust it once a week or some thing that way you still get to spend some quality time with the car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    I leave mine un covered and wash it in the spring when it comes back out, It currently gets stored in one of those portable garage things, out side, on bare ground. just enough to keep the snow and debris off, but gets plenty dusty and condensation drips on to the car.

Keeping it in a heated garage really doesn't need a cover. A car duster should be good, dust it once a week or some thing that way you still get to spend some quality time with the car.

I tend not to use our duster on the good cars... sort of scares me, especially on black paint. There seems to be a perpetual debate on here about them as well. I suppose if it was just dust it might be okay, but during the winter our DD's drag in a lot of crap as we live on a dirt road.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

mmm....black car....swirl marks.....yay

black
    2002 WS6

No matter what you do, there will always be swirls. It drives me crazy. Best solution I've found, wax lots and wax often. Mines a summer daily too.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Mine gets dustier than crap setting in the garage as well. I have a cover I use, but I don't recommend it either. I would search around online for one Jeff, check for California car covers, covercraft I believe is another. Try Wolf also.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 11-11-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

+1 for no cover. You'll want to wash your car after it comes out of the garage in the spring anyway, right?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll have to pull up what I was looking at on-line -- pretty sure I saved it on my home computer. The cars always get a good washing before we put them to bed and at least once or twice over the winter.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Mine gets dustier than crap setting in the garage as well. I have a cover I use, but I don't recommend it either. I would search around online for one Jeff, check for California car covers, covercraft I believe is another. Try Wolf also.
    One of my covers is a Wolf. It's a perfect fit. Well, it would be even more perfect if I didn't have the body kit. But, I like that cover. I never need to tie it down either and we have some pretty good wind gusts go through these canyons

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I haven't tried putting it on the car but mine came with the original SLP car cover. I'll probably cover it up when I get around to locking the car away for winter but as with everyone else there hasn't even been a threat of rain and I'm still looking for one nice weekend to detail it and make sure i'm not protecting filth all winter.

SLP still sells covers for our cars. 185 on their website. don't know if that's good or not.... perhaps a site sponsor sells covers????

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I pulled up the e-mail exchange I had with the company rep -- the cover I was considering is a Covercraft Dustop: http://www.covercraft.com/dustop.htm

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I pulled up the e-mail exchange I had with the company rep -- the cover I was considering is a Covercraft Dustop: http://www.covercraft.com/dustop.htm
    My other cover is a covercraft. It was the first one I bought. Got it from JC Whitney. But, the elastic didn't wear that well. So, I got the Wolf from Elklers. I alternate them so I can wash them. Birds ya know

When it's windy, I use the Wolf.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    My other cover is a covercraft. It was the first one I bought. Got it from JC Whitney. But, the elastic didn't wear that well. So, I got the Wolf from Elklers. I alternate them so I can wash them. Birds ya know

When it's windy, I use the Wolf.

I only get wind when the garage doors go up in the winter.

I figure with the car cover, it can get as dusty as it wants and I can just remove it, go outside and shake it off. Probably wash it in the fall before covering the cars back up for the season. That's why I am not sure if I really need anything more than just the light nylon cover...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I only get wind when the garage doors go up in the winter.

I figure with the car cover, it can get as dusty as it wants and I can just remove it, go outside and shake it off. Probably wash it in the fall before covering the cars back up for the season. That's why I am not sure if I really need anything more than just the light nylon cover...
    Yeah, you don't need much then. But, you want a nice soft material on the paint.

My cars are all outside. So, I need it to protect from the elements (and birds )

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My car cover is from California Car Cover, as Preston mentioned earlier. I haven't EVER had one issue with it scratching the paint taking it off or putting it on.

I have started to not use it recently though and just washing the car before i take it out instead.

Also, using a duster IMO is a big no-no. Smearing the dust off your paint is asking for swirl marks and scratches.

Black
    1999 Z-28

Turtle wax makes a kit called Black Box. It is made special for black vehicles. It will do away with any swirls or lite scratches. It works awesome. If you will detail it good and use this wax all you need to do then is take a couple of bed sheets to cover the car and then slide on a cheap nylon fitted cover you will be good for the winter.. Remember 2 layers are better than one. The cover catches the dust and the sheets keep it from touching the paint..

1966 Chevelle Convertible
    1998 Z/28, 1970 AAR Cuda

I have two other muscle cars that are kept in the garage. I cover both of them with california car covers storm weave covers. These covers are thicker than their other covers to protect against dings. They make a variety of different models of covers for diferent aplications, even for black cars they make a flannel lined cover , so it will not scratch. I have found with covers that you get what you pay for. And yes I also use their dusters with no scratching problems.

Thread Information