Thread: Axle Play

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Axle Play

So I've been having issues lately with a sinking brake pedal after going through a turn fast. I thought maybe it was the master cylinder, but today I jacked up the car and realized there is a ton of play in my driver's side axle shaft.

The axle bearing it good, but the entire axle moves in and out probably between 1/8" and 1/4". Its a ridiculous amount of play, I can watch the caliper slide back and fourth as I pull the wheel in/out. The passenger side is fine, feels like its definitely within spec, barely any movement.

Any ideas what is worn out or needs to be replaced before I pull it apart??

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It could be the c-clip and its groove, the axle end, or thrust block in the Zexel Torsen diff. But I don't think this is your braking problem. The caliper should be able to slide back and forth without compressing the caliper piston back in and causing a low pedal.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    It could be the c-clip and its groove, the axle end, or thrust block in the Zexel Torsen diff. But I don't think this is your braking problem. The caliper should be able to slide back and forth without compressing the caliper piston back in and causing a low pedal.
    Thanks for the input.

My car is equipped with an Auburn diff ('98), so its just got a conventional pinion shaft. I can't imagine its worn into the shaft, but I guess I'll have to pull it apart and look.

The best possibility is probably the c-clip groove is worn. No idea why one side would wear badly while the other side is like new, but who knows.

I see your point about how the caliper should slide as the rotor moves. However, the brake issue I have only occurs after hard cornering, and the master cylinder and all lines are good. The amount of play is quite significant. The only thing I can think of is that the axle is sliding inwards around hard right turns a greater distance than the caliper can slide (pads are thick) and its pushing on the piston enough to move it in slightly.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    My car is equipped with an Auburn diff ('98), so its just got a conventional pinion shaft. I can't imagine its worn into the shaft, but I guess I'll have to pull it apart and look.
    Ah yes, I did not pay attention to your '98 model year. In that case, I wonder if its possible that the cone has worn down enough to move the spider gear a little further away from the pinion shaft and create extra clearance. Hmmm...I'm having a hard time visualizing that right now to make sure that even makes sense.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Ah yes, I did not pay attention to your '98 model year. In that case, I wonder if its possible that the cone has worn down enough to move the spider gear a little further away from the pinion shaft and create extra clearance. Hmmm...I'm having a hard time visualizing that right now to make sure that even makes sense.
    Good thinking, that may be a possibility as well. Very strange how one side is so bad though, and the other is like new.

Guess I'll have to pull it apart and see what I can find out. If I have time this weekend I'll do it. Either way though I'll eventually post up what I find out. As always thanks for the help.

Thread Information