Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Thumbs down GMC Envoy vs. my VW Jetta (pic update)

I couldn't remember if I told you guys this story or not, and I was bored so I decided to draw a picture and describe what happened.

This happened early July of this year, while I was down in Panama City beach, Florida on vacation. So the last day of vacation I'm driving around with my girlfriend, in the car I was driving at the time, a bright red 2000 VW Jetta with aftermarket dark grey alloy wheels, lowered a few inches, and with illegal tint. I didn't like it that much but it was a car that worked, also jailbait chicks seemed to go nuts over it

Anyway, I'm waiting at a red light waiting for my turn arrow to turn green so I can make a left turn across the intersection. This was a large intersection, the road I was on had a speed limit of 45mph, the road I wanted to turn on had a limit of 55mph (Two main divided roads intersecting each other). So my turn arrow changes to green. I was looking down, and when I looked up it was green, so it must have been green for at least a second or two.

So I start moving off the line, I'm not a speed-racer type so I don't floor it at green, just about 5 mph per hour (If that). Then I hear the car that was next to me (also a turn lane for the same direction) start honking, and at the same moment my girlfriend screams. I look to the left and see this massive white SUV swerving away from the side of my car. I slam on the brakes but it was too late. It was almost surreal because my head followed the SUV the entire time after I initially saw it. It was turning away from my car (As much as it could at the speed it was going) and I see it's rear passenger side door impact the front drivers side of my car, and the rear wheel ran over the entire front of my car as the driver was attempting to correct. This caused the car to go into a roll, and the speed caused it to flip 3 or 4 times and at it's highest the SUV probably bounced at least 7 to 10 feet in the air (From what I could tell, watching from the drivers seat of my stopped car).

It seemed to happen in slow motion, I was watching the glass shatter and their luggage and food and random shit fly out of the car and thrown in multiple directions over the area of where the SUV had flipped. It landed about 100ft away from my car, right-side up and facing the opposite direction of traffic.

I step out of my car, look around like "Did that really just happen?" I guess I was probably in shock or something perhaps. I walk around the back of my car and towards the SUV, and about 5 feet past the back of my car when I turn to see if my girlfriend is getting out of the car. She's not, so I go up to her door and see why: The passenger side fender is pushed into the front door, so it took me a few seconds to be able to let her out. I make sure shes ok and start going back toward the SUV, where a flock of people are running toward it from nearby cars/buildings. My girlfriend calls 911 but by that time about 10 people had already called it in.

I approach the SUV (Lots of people already around helping the occupants). It was an elderly lady driving who seem conscious and relatively unhurt, although she was covered in blood from a head wound of her passenger, and elderly man (Her husband). The passenger's side had the roof caved in, and the insurance company later told me that he had brain trauma (As well as a punctured lung, et al.), and there was also blood on the outside of the vehicle, so I assumed he probably hit his head on the road as the car was flipping.

The 5 police / 2 large fire engines / 2 fire equipment vehicles / 2 ambulances get there very quickly, cut the old man out of the car and take them both to the hospital. The cop asked me what happened, I told him, and he said that's exactly what a lot of other witnesses said as well, which was a relief (After seeing the guy I was scared he might die and I would be blamed because I'm young and am driving a faggot car). I moved my car to where you see it in the diagram, just to get it out of the way. It didn't make much of a difference because the police blocked off the road where the SUV was and half the intersection anyway and were redirecting traffic. A policeman later got me to drive it off the road into a burger king parking lot further down the road before they reopened the road. I drove it into the BK parking lot, spewing coolant and running over my own bumper, people outside were just giving me "wtf" looks.

News: http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/50547372.html

I have some photos of both cars after the accident, I'll try and find them. Until then, heres the promised mspaint picture: (Sorry about the size)

Last edited by 86 IROC-Z; 08-28-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: pic added lul

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that was an entertaining read, nice MSpaint job. Sucks for the SUV people-i could imagine being in your shoes when I found out it was an old couple.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

added the news link to the original post

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

damn man that's crazy. if that guy wouldn't have honked, you might have been toast!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Keep this up and you're gonna have a driveway full of broke ass vehicles. lol
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Keep this up and you're gonna have a driveway full of broke ass vehicles. lol
    Last time I saw the car was the day of the accident. Insurance paid out.

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

Im glad you and the gf are okay and man you're lucky there were witnesses!

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I drove it into the BK parking lot, spewing coolant and running over my own bumper, people outside were just giving me "wtf" looks.
    I LOL'd

hopefully everything works out okay for you man, that sucks.

Black
    1998 Ford F-150

I liked that you included waffle house in your drawing. Especially with the smiley. ha. Made me think that you might have ADHD?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

updated original post with photos

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

great post. Glad everyone was ok. You write funny stories!!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

OUCH!!

@ "FKIN RED".

Glad to hear everyone made it out OK.

Thread Information