Thread: rough ride

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

rough ride

so about a year or so ago i lowered my car with eibach pro kit and left the stock shocks. after about a month of driving, i couldn't take the shock shocks any more. so i put on bilstein heavy duty shocks. made the ride tons better, but still my ride is rough. now i know you all are just gonna ram these strano springs and koni shocks down my throat, but at this point, with as little as i drive the car im not looking to do that. i will def consider new shocks, but the spings are staying. so my question is, will upgrading the shocks help out any more? the car just seems to hit every bump sooo hard. also, would an adjustable panhard rod help out at all? or any other suggestions? thanks guys

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

an adjustable panhard rod will not make it ride any softer. it's all in the shocks. you need a shock with a softer rate of compression. this is where a set of adjustable shocks come into use. you can tailor it to how you want it to feel. QA1 single adjustable is a good place to start. i think Koni has a 3 way adjustable.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

something like this? im not looking to spend $1200 on shocks

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

or these?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Last edited by mpfranks; 05-31-2009 at 05:50 PM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

both of those are for the rear, but yes those.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    both of those are for the rear, but yes those.
    yeah, thats what im looking to change out. the rear is where the car seems to hit hardest. the front seems fine.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

also, being lowered you might be hitting the bumpstops. this will make for a rough feel as well. before buying shocks, trying trimming them.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    also, being lowered you might be hitting the bumpstops. this will make for a rough feel as well. before buying shocks, trying trimming them.
    thats a good idea. my stock shocks were definitely hitting the bump stops, but didnt really think it an issue with the new ones. i would assume a set of $280 bilsteins would be able to handle city driving just fine. if not, biggest waste of money ive spent so far.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

With the lower springs all shocks are going to let the suspension hit the bumpstops. It's the nature of the beast you lower the car so your closer to the bumpstop. What you need is something that has a better compression setting so your not hitting them so hard.
    Also keep in mind that tire pressure can have a dramatic effect on the ride esp. on impact harshness.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    With the lower springs all shocks are going to let the suspension hit the bumpstops. It's the nature of the beast you lower the car so your closer to the bumpstop. What you need is something that has a better compression setting so your not hitting them so hard.
    Also keep in mind that tire pressure can have a dramatic effect on the ride esp. on impact harshness.
    is modifying the bumpstops gonna do anything to help it? and i run 30-32psi in my tires. i wonder if calling summit and complaining about the bilsteins would help, maybe they will refund the money towards a set of something else. the front feels fine, its just the damn rear is like riding on square tires.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Shortening the bumpstop would work but it's not reccomended considering you may damage the shock during compression. It's really a band aid fix anyway. I think Strano still sells his Spec Bilstiens that have a different valve setting in the rear. This may be what your looking for, but it would be best to call him as see what his opinion is.

I personally have Sams Springs, Swaybars and Koni 4/4's.
    I believe Koni's may solve your issue but I'm not going to ram it down your throat that you need to buy them.
    It's my understanding that the Bilstien HD's are better suited for stock springs with their softer rate. Your Eibach rears are progressive rate and will need a different valve setting. I believe the shocks I originally mentioned may solve the issue.

Good luck
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 06-02-2009 at 01:52 PM.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    is modifying the bumpstops gonna do anything to help it? and i run 30-32psi in my tires. i wonder if calling summit and complaining about the bilsteins would help, maybe they will refund the money towards a set of something else. the front feels fine, its just the damn rear is like riding on square tires.
    First remove the rear bumpstop spacers, if you've already done that you can cut off up to 1" of height from the bumpstops without any problems. I've ran my car this way for years without any shock damage.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i see airbags

Thread Information