Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New apartment

Blue

New apartment

So im suppose to be moving into my new apt 4-1-09 and have been waiting for the old tenants to move out,i called landlord today and they said havent heard from them yet,we will call you when we get a hold up them,eveidentally these people are calling them back,i have to be out of my old apt 4-1-09,what would you guys do if i call back tomororw and they said they ahvent heard from them yet,i still dont have a key

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

How much room you got in the truck?

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

sounds like sloppy management on the landlords part

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Have you paid anything yet??

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Have you paid anything yet??
    Uh yea i paid sec deposit,and 1st months rent. I also have a contract saying i can move in april 1. if they say they havent called then what,threaten to call police? I really dont want to piss off the landlord already,but i do need a place to live as the old place is already rented out.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

as a landlord i can say that that is the landlords fault for not allowing for unforeseen events. basically they move out as you are moving in. i know that when i rent a place i typically have about a month or two down between tenants depending on the level of cleaning and fixing required in the apartment. it's not great for my income but it prevents situations like yours.

sounds to me like if the contract is signed and payment has been made then you could have a small claims civil case against the landlord.

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    as a landlord i can say that that is the landlords fault for not allowing for unforeseen events. basically they move out as you are moving in. i know that when i rent a place i typically have about a month or two down between tenants depending on the level of cleaning and fixing required in the apartment. it's not great for my income but it prevents situations like yours.

sounds to me like if the contract is signed and payment has been made then you could have a small claims civil case against the landlord.
    ITS a 1 year old place,they have cats and contract says shampoo carpet before leaving,i mentiioned this to landlord,they said they are suppose to shampoo carpet,if its enforced i dunno,lol.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yeah man in all honesty if you signed a contract to move in 4-1-09 and you are unable to by 4-1-09 then you have yourself a case.

On the other hand this could be a really fucked up april fools joke on the landlords part.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I'd get my money back and look somewhere with a half competent landlord...guy sounds like a lazy douche.

Blue

I stopped in the office today and asked what was going on,3 hrs latr im good to go and moving in 4-2-09!

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

good to here its all gonna work out. have to say, i'd have been extremely unhappy if i'd been in your shoes.

white
    99 Trans am

Did all your paperwork get changed to reflect the new move in date? if not your getting screwed out of 1 day of rent, that should be credited back to you.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    Uh yea i paid sec deposit,and 1st months rent. I also have a contract saying i can move in april 1. if they say they havent called then what,threaten to call police? I really dont want to piss off the landlord already,but i do need a place to live as the old place is already rented out.
    you couldnt call the police, they would tell you there is nothing they could do. if you dont have the keys by april 2nd, he failed to perform on the contract, and you can get out of it. you will probably have to take him to court to get your money back, though.

black
    00 camaross&02 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo99ta View Post
    Did all your paperwork get changed to reflect the new move in date? if not your getting screwed out of 1 day of rent, that should be credited back to you.
    would check on what he says but also look at the cleaning and anything that needs to be fixed make sure you inspect the place well before you move in or you might be footing the repair or cleaning bills for the previous tenant.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

I work in small claims, representing mostly landlords. 1milecrash is right, if you signed the contract and put the sec deposit down, he needs to accommodate you. It's his responsibility to clear the previous tenants out of there in plenty of time to get it adequately cleaned and what not for you. If the old tenants don't want to leave now for whatever reason, he needs to kick them out. He shouldnt have had you sign the contract and put the money down while still possibly renewing the lease for the other people. At the VERY minimum, he should give you your deposit back and cut you loose from the contract. This is a rare situation that finds you, the tenant, empowered over the landlord. You would dominate him in small claims, and he probably knows it.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    I stopped in the office today and asked what was going on,3 hrs latr im good to go and moving in 4-2-09!
    i didnt see that before my last post.... this guy does sound like he might be a little bit shady. make sure you do a move-in report and really document ANYTHING thats wrong with the place, make sure it's dated, then make a copy for yourself before you give it back to him. It will keep him from piling up damages on you when you move out (especially if you break the lease early).
    glad to see you got moved in tho....

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

ask him if he can provide any documentation proving that the carpet was cleaned or at least provide you with the company that did the cleaning so you can call and verify.

9 times out of 10 the former tenant won't clean the carpets. i know this because not only am i a landlord...but i've also worked for a carpet cleaning business before.

Blue

ask him if he can provide any documentation proving that the carpet was cleaned or at least provide you with the company that did the cleaning so you can call and verify.

9 times out of 10 the former tenant won't clean the carpets. i know this because not only am i a landlord...but i've also worked for a carpet cleaning business before.
    Said old tenants did carpet last night after they got everything moved out,doing a walk threw today with landlord,i will look at everything believe me! How can i tell if carpets been cleaned,bend down and smell it lol.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

feel the carpets and see if they are damp. it typically takes carpets several hours to fully dry.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

feel the carpets and see if they are damp. it typically takes carpets several hours to fully dry.
    And they look clean. ie. No dirty trails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information