Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

Shifting from 2-3

I'm hoping that it isn't just me, or is it a bitch to shift from 2nd to 3rd sometimes?! sometimes when i really get on it, itll either be a hard shift or tend to grind a little.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

nope, I don't have that problem. 2nd-3rd shift is fast and smooth with the pro 5.0 that I have.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

...yeah ive got the stock shifter.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

yeah they are junk. I did have the same problem as you sometimes when I had the stock shifter.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

to much "walking" room with the stock shifter..its the best way to wear down your sync and bend your forks..get a pro 5.0 ect and you wont have that prob.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

get a pro5.0 with the speed inc angled short stick..

also changing your clutch fluid to a fluid with a higher boiling point helps.

most people never change the hydraulic fluid, which is the cause of most shifting problems.

The drill mod can be helpful too.

I find the opposite now. I have had the stock shifter for years and never had a problem hanging gears. Smooth and quick.

I have recently installed a hurst billet plus shifter, although shifts feel a little more positive, the 2-3 shift is more difficult and doesn't seem to line up properly with the 3-4 gate. Like it's possibly slightly off to one side and it catches a bit.

Not only that,,,it's also much harder to downshift as well to slow for a corner, if I come out of 4th and want third it's now a real pain in the ass, again because it's not a straight shot up like it should be,,,,like the gate is slightly shifted over and doesn't line up properly.

I think I have gotten so used to the stock shifter, I just really don't have a problem with it, and I'm contemplating sticking it back in there,,,,have to wait and see what my wife says about it when she starts driving the car this summer.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I had a little bit of trouble with the 2-3 shift with my stock shifter, such is not the case with the Pro 5.0 I recently installed.

One comment I will add, the gate with the 5.0 is noticeably different from the stock gate, so it's taken a bit to get used to. The 2-3 shift feels almost as straight as the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts, however I'm still getting a feel for the harder downshifts (6-3, 5-2, etc.).
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I find the opposite now. I have had the stock shifter for years and never had a problem hanging gears. Smooth and quick.

I have recently installed a hurst billet plus shifter, although shifts feel a little more positive, the 2-3 shift is more difficult and doesn't seem to line up properly with the 3-4 gate. Like it's possibly slightly off to one side and it catches a bit.

Not only that,,,it's also much harder to downshift as well to slow for a corner, if I come out of 4th and want third it's now a real pain in the ass, again because it's not a straight shot up like it should be,,,,like the gate is slightly shifted over and doesn't line up properly.

I think I have gotten so used to the stock shifter, I just really don't have a problem with it, and I'm contemplating sticking it back in there,,,,have to wait and see what my wife says about it when she starts driving the car this summer.
    +1...

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

im having the same shifting problem (2-3 is the worst) but even 3-4 and 1-2 grind too. Its whenever i shift it fast because daily driving isnt a problem. Ive had this problem with my stock shifter and my pro 5.0 and i have replaced my clutch fluid with some that boils higher and bled the system really well and the tranny was rebuilt just before i got it so it should be a synchro problem...is this a sign of just needing a new clutch in general?

I pulled the billet plus back out and stuck the stock shifter back in. My wife drove the car and her opinion was the same as mine, she didn't like the 2-3 shift and it was terrible for her to downshift.

I reinstalled the stock shifter last weekend. I can now hang 3rd just as before without issues. Wife is now happy again.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cdorch View Post
    im having the same shifting problem (2-3 is the worst) but even 3-4 and 1-2 grind too. Its whenever i shift it fast because daily driving isnt a problem. Ive had this problem with my stock shifter and my pro 5.0 and i have replaced my clutch fluid with some that boils higher and bled the system really well and the tranny was rebuilt just before i got it so it should be a synchro problem...is this a sign of just needing a new clutch in general?
    probably syncros

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

I don't have a problem going DOWN to third. But laying on it and doing that 2nd to 3rd shift sometimes just doesn't want to go in. Ticks me off. I've considered getting something different, but if there is a way to 'fix' or adjust myself to it now it would be nice.

98' trans am

usually ..correct me if i am wrong firebirdjones...but if its not grinding its the forks..and if your running a stock shifter(most of the time) the stock shifter has too much walking room and over stresses the forks. if there is grinding then most of the time it is syncros...but what your describing is the common 2-3 fork..its probably either bend or you need to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    usually ..correct me if i am wrong firebirdjones...but if its not grinding its the forks..and if your running a stock shifter(most of the time) the stock shifter has too much walking room and over stresses the forks. if there is grinding then most of the time it is syncros...but what your describing is the common 2-3 fork..its probably either bend or you need to upgrade
    I can't say,,,but shifting is flawless with the stock shifter back in place I can hang 3rd just fine now. No tranny problems that I am aware of, been a great transmission thats had a pretty easy life really with 99% of the mileage put on by my wife.

It seemed with the Billet Plus in there,,,the gate was so darn narrow for 3rd gear, it had to be right on the money or it just wasn't going in.
    My wife was having the same problem, and she was hunting quite a bit, then just getting fed up and shifting to 4th gear. Coming out of 6th gear and trying to find 3rd was next to impossible as well.

Don't know why the stock shifter works so well in this car,,,but I'm leaving it in there now.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Oh ya, you are right though, the stock shifter doesn't have stop bolts like the aftermarket shifters do.

Those are in place to do just as you described.

I don't believe we have a fork problem, it's simply the gate within the shifter we cannot find, you can float around in the neutral gate trying to find the path to 3rd gear and it's very difficult, especially if you're in a hurry
    It's as if you hit a wall and the shifter won't move past the neutral gate,,,,,make sense??? There is no grinding since I never got the shifter anywhere close to another gear

I don't have this problem with the stock shifter, something about the way it's made gives you much more room and easier to find

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    2002 Camaro Z28

I was actually having the issue that when i go from 2nd to 3rd, it would find the spot for it, but grind! i saw that shady milkman had mentioned that that could be the syncros...what do i need to do about that?!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by wantaLS1 View Post
    I was actually having the issue that when i go from 2nd to 3rd, it would find the spot for it, but grind! i saw that shady milkman had mentioned that that could be the syncros...what do i need to do about that?!
    take apart your tranny

Thread Information