SOM
    2002 firebird formula

My newest new toy

Got my newest toy this afternoon. Its a Stag-Arms Model 15 AR-15. Never been shot. Came with 4 magazines, sling, bi-pod, and a scope.

With the scope:

Looking for new glass as we speak. Just want something a little smaller.

blue
    83 mustang 347

What kind of glass and power are you looking for?

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Ideal for home defense!

Just kidding, I can't remember now which movie that's from... But I would love to have a chance at that on the range.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

I need to replace my fixed carry handle with a flat-top reciever...

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    What kind of glass and power are you looking for?
    Im looking for something in the 3-9x40 range. Looking to spend less than 300. Any suggestions?

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

I have a Stag lower on my AR. Keep an eye on your hammer and trigger pins. I had my trigger pin work it's way out on me, caused the trigger to sit a little sideways inside the lower and i could not fire. It's a common problem with Stag's lowers from what I hear. I replaced the pins with the dogbone non-rotating pins from KNS Precision. Cost is $32, not too bad, but they'll prevent a headache, if not worse. Just a heads up. Congrats on the rifle, I'm quite fond of AR's. Here's a link -

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=NRTHP

Here's a pics from AR15.com -

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I guess I should have read this before I posted on the "Question for Sarge" thread.

Good luck with your rifle!!!

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLS1 View Post
    I have a Stag lower on my AR. Keep an eye on your hammer and trigger pins. I had my trigger pin work it's way out on me, caused the trigger to sit a little sideways inside the lower and i could not fire. It's a common problem with Stag's lowers from what I hear. I replaced the pins with the dogbone non-rotating pins from KNS Precision. Cost is $32, not too bad, but they'll prevent a headache, if not worse. Just a heads up. Congrats on the rifle, I'm quite fond of AR's. Here's a link -

http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=NRTHP

Here's a pics from AR15.com -

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1
    Definately not a problem with Stag lowers. It's a problem if your hammer spring is put in upside down. Otherwise your trigger control group pins aint walking out.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I believe I remember that Stags did have a problem with spring tension which caused no fire. Stag got fancy at one time and had lessened the trigger pull weight by lightening the hammer spring which in turn caused a problem with primer strike. I think the replacement hammerspring was a Colt mil-spec spring and the problem was solved.

Unless you are competitive shooter and have the work done by a professional, I'd stay with a mil-spec trigger group.

Some advice to help break in of the bolt carrier group is to remove the carrier, shoot little Break-Free CLP around it, re-install it, then pull the charging handle back and forth about 200 times. DO NOT let go of the charging handle. Just pull it back and ride it forward fast, back and forth. Now you have metal shavings around the bolt carrier and upper from wear points. Clean the weapon. It's much better to do this first than going straight to the range and fouling/scarring up your barrel with shavings.

Just adhere to the owners manual for barrel break in. A lot of differing opinions out there.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 08-09-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    I believe I remember that Stags did have a problem with spring tension which caused no fire. Stag got fancy at one time and had lessened the trigger pull weight by lightening the hammer spring which in turn caused a problem with primer strike. I think the replacement hammerspring was a Colt mil-spec spring and the problem was solved.

Unless you are competitive shooter and have the work done by a professional, I'd stay with a mil-spec trigger group.

Some advice to help break in of the bolt carrier group is to remove the carrier, shoot little Break-Free CLP around it, re-install it, then pull the charging handle back and forth about 200 times. DO NOT let go of the charging handle. Just pull it back and ride it forward fast, back and forth. Now you have metal shavings around the bolt carrier and upper from wear points. Clean the weapon. It's much better to do this first than going straight to the range and fouling/scarring up your barrel with shavings.

Just adhere to the owners manual for barrel break in. A lot of differing opinions out there.
    CMT/Stag makes Colt's springs.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Doubt that. It's all Colt from the factory. No doubt that cmt makes a hammer spring tho. However, cmt for years was an oem vendor for other gun companies.

Actually, cmt and stag are 2 different companies. Dad owns cmt and his son stag.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 08-10-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Doubt that. It's all Colt from the factory. No doubt that cmt makes a hammer spring tho. However, cmt for years was an oem vendor for other gun companies.

Actually, cmt and stag are 2 different companies. Dad owns cmt and his son stag.
    Stag is the retail name for CMT's rifles and CMT make most of Colts parts. Colt manufactures very little of their rifles in house. Do some research.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Don't get assholly on me. The Stag name is bigger and therefore more marketable at this point. However, they are separate companies like I said. cmt makes parts and packages then under the Stag name as of this typing.

Even tho we're getting off tangent here, I see no proof/link to what you speak but anything is possible I guess. I know that cmt/stag makes uppers, lowers for other vendors. Colt doesn't sub-contract it's neutered bolt carrier group(Stag has a M16 style bolt carrier that covers the firing pin) so I can't see Colt sub-contracting out the internals of it's lower. A bare lower from a machine and tool company, ok. I think tomorrow I'll try to place a call in to Colt and just see what's what anyhow.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 08-10-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

You really think Colt is going to tell you who they get their parts from? The definately get their receivers from CMT and I'm pretty sure most of their small parts as well. They get barrels from ER Shaw. Not sure who makes their BCG's could be made on site but I doubt it. Once again like I said CMT and Stag are one in the same. CMT supplies parts to most of the AR industry in some form. Stag is the name they use to market their own products to the public directly.
    Last edited by yellowv; 08-11-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Yes I do and yes they did. I called customer service(800-962-COLT) and was assured (after a brief fact check by the agent) that Colt's hammer spring was MADE there in the Conn. factory. I brought up cmt/stag and the answer was no. Now, if the after the rifle left the factory and needed some work done, Colt uses a company called "Specialized Armament". Whose to say what vendors approved by Colt supply them.

I have no doubt that cmt supplies the most parts in the AR industry. Replacement and aftermarket.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    Ideal for home defense!

Just kidding, I can't remember now which movie that's from... But I would love to have a chance at that on the range.
    Tht movie would be "the Terminator". When Arnold goes into the gun shop to arm up for the hunt.

Nice rifle! An Trijicon ACOG would be a bit smaller and more adaptive for you maybe. They have several models to choose from or you could get a nice CQB/field site called the EO-Tech. The EO-Tech is personal favorite!

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

I fully disagree. I put the RRA 2 stage in my DMR and it makes a huge difference.

Thread Information