PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

What are the Symptoms of a bad cam lobe

Hey guys as you know I previously had a ticking noise after my H/C swap as well as low oil pressure. Well as it turned out the new Oil pump o ring solved the problem. My new problem is now I get an intermitant loud tick coming from the driverside head. Ive checked the pushrods and rockers and they are fine.

Texas speed where I bought my setup from thinks that one of my new ls7 lifters that I installed with my hc setup called it quits on me premature due to previous damage being done when the oil pump oring wasnt seated correctly and caused the lifter not to pump up and a roller to go bad on the lifter.

My question is what are the symptoms of a bad cam lobe? The car hasnt lost any power nor does the exhaust note sound different than before. Thanks for the help guys.

I really hope this is just a lifter

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

If it is a steady tap that changes directly with RPM it may just be a lifter, it is intermittent, uneven, gets louder etc. it could be a strong sign of roller and lobe damage. Drain the oil and check for metal, if you damaged a roller or lobe you should find some evidence in the pan.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    If it is a steady tap that changes directly with RPM it may just be a lifter, it is intermittent, uneven, gets louder etc. it could be a strong sign of roller and lobe damage. Drain the oil and check for metal, if you damaged a roller or lobe you should find some evidence in the pan.
    well i pulled it in the garage yesterday and began the tear down. I is a consistant tap that goes with RPM so Im thinking I lucked out and its just a lifter. When I changed the oil the other day it did look like I had a very very small amount of metal on the the drain plug. I have everything pulled off right now. I just have to pull the heads now.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Yikes, best of luck to ya! Hope it didn't spin in the tray cause that's gonna be messy, but if you only had a little bit of metal in there you should be ok...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Yikes, best of luck to ya! Hope it didn't spin in the tray cause that's gonna be messy, but if you only had a little bit of metal in there you should be ok...
    I hope not either cause I did the brand new ls2 trays that are supposed to prevent that from occuring!!!

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

well I got the driverside head off. all looked fine except for the fact that one of the lifters seems to be stuck in the lifter bore. Please tell me Im not Screwed here!!!!!! The lifter will move about a quater of an inch but I cant seem to get it out. Advice would be greatly appreciated as I think I am now at wits end mentally and financially with this car. Next comes the gasoline and match trick out in the driveway!!!!!

hypo yellow
    2002 vx ss

lifter extracter

Use a lifter extracter to get the lifter out and check the lifter bore for wear and the lifter good luck Nav.

Thread Information