Thread: K&n Fipk???

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Question K&n Fipk???

Well who ever had this car before me put a K&N FIPK on it. Gotta say it looks pretty cool but the damn thing had a plastic strip that appears to be blocking majority of the air that gets pushed in the Engine bay. What would happen if I removed this cover? I had the SLP lid and SLP Ram air kit on the other Z which of the two set ups would you guys say is better? Oh yeah the car is headed down to VMP Friday night can't wait to see what it will run!!

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I have a FIPK, not sure what plastic piece your talking about. There is a steel cover that comes with it to secure your radiator, but plastic piece I don't have any. My FIPK is carbon fiber on the filter, smooth bellows, and steel radiator support. If your talking about the radiator support, you would need a stock one then, but not sure if the FIPK would work. I have seen people cut the steel piece out and add a cold air kit to bring cold air to the FIPK's filter.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

the peice i'm talking about is under the filter the filter mounts to it...it may be steel i haven't looked at it too much. The FIPK looks like it would work really well with some sorta Ram Air hood.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro

I have one too, not sure what your talking about... please post pics!!!

black
    2001 Z28

I have one, and i cut out the steel under the filter. I have not had any problems.

RED

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler
    I have a FIPK, not sure what plastic piece your talking about. There is a steel cover that comes with it to secure your radiator, but plastic piece I don't have any. My FIPK is carbon fiber on the filter, smooth bellows, and steel radiator support. If your talking about the radiator support, you would need a stock one then, but not sure if the FIPK would work. I have seen people cut the steel piece out and add a cold air kit to bring cold air to the FIPK's filter.
    I cut that piece out for my SLP ram air it seems to work fine for my car

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Sure enough it's metal! lol I'll be cutting the peice out under the filter also and probably install the SLP Ram Air scoop.

Well, few hours of sleep and 8 hrs of work and then it'll be race time!! If it rains I'm going to be pissed.....20% chance so far

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

Ive thought about drillin holes in mine just to let a bit more air thru....

silver
    2000 WS6

so is everyone who has the FIPK pretty impressed and happy with it

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro

I love mine woldn't change it for alid at all!!!!!!!!

2002 Z28

I like the FIPK and looks much better under the hood, comes with a smooth bellows and the custom radiator cover, so gives a clean look. I don't like the fact it sucks up all the hot air under the hood. I looked at my air intake temps and even on cooler days they were pretty high. K&N stands behind the product, mine cracked at the carbon fiber base of the filter, might have been from over tightening or just a defect, but I talked with them, sent pictures and recieved a brand new over $100 replacement filter for free within 1 week. I didn't expect it, but that is great customer service. I still haven't put on the new filter, but I am trying to decide if I should sell the FIPK(since the filter would be new it would get a little more and I could include the old one too) then I could buy a volant intake, but I really like the looks of the FIPK. I am thinking about a ram air hood and something I could use the volant as a airbox. I would rather just keep the fipk, if there was a way to make my own airbox..

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well the car ran pretty good at the track last night best time of 13.279 @ 105.06 MPH so i was pretty impressed. During our lunch break yesterday we went out and looked at the filter set up I think what we might do is cute out under the filter and install some sort of Ram Air scoop. We were also taking about building some type of enclosure for the filter meaning that it would only be getting air from the ram air scoop and none from under the hood (no hot air) I work at a machine shop so it would pretty easy to make something. Thanks for all the input guys!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Must've been a pretty damn good run...

My friend with an 01 SS, SLP LT headers, ORY, and cut-out ran a 13.5.

Yours an auto? I have an 00 Z28 with the K&N FIPK and ran against my friend plenty of times. We were always neck-and-neck from the line, I'd pull a very little on him for like around 30-40 MPH, then he'd inch ahead after about 40, and upto 80-90 he was out. I figured after so many runs with him, my car with the FIPK would run possibly a 13.6-7

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Do the FIPK mod ... drop the washer bottle and the shroud underneath.

This will do two things. First, it feeds a hell of lot more air, when the car is moving, than cutting a slot in the radiator plate directly to the FIPK.

Second, it gives a massive area for the FIPK to draw outside air, when the car is static, instead of the heat soaked air under the hood. In tests I did the AIT temps never got more than 15* higher than the ambient temp after 20 minutes with the hood closed and reving the enigine to 4K.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by MysticZ28
    Do the FIPK mod ... drop the washer bottle and the shroud underneath.

This will do two things. First, it feeds a hell of lot more air, when the car is moving, than cutting a slot in the radiator plate directly to the FIPK.

Second, it gives a massive area for the FIPK to draw outside air, when the car is static, instead of the heat soaked air under the hood. In tests I did the AIT temps never got more than 15* higher than the ambient temp after 20 minutes with the hood closed and reving the enigine to 4K.
    Wait wait, remove the shroud and washer bottle? Can you just replace the washer bottle w/ a smaller one that takes up less room? Knowing my luck the second I take it out, I'm gonna be stuck behind some dump truck kickin up mud at my windshield!

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Wait wait, remove the shroud and washer bottle? Can you just replace the washer bottle w/ a smaller one that takes up less room? Knowing my luck the second I take it out, I'm gonna be stuck behind some dump truck kickin up mud at my windshield!
    You gotta ask yourself do you want to go fast or do want a pristine windshield?

Or ... take it out for the track and put it back in after. It's about a half hour operation ... I ran 12.12 @113 with just bolt ons on slicks and skinnies and no other weight reduction other than removing the passenger and back seats.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    Dude I'll tell you right now just get a functional hood. You should really cut out a slot underneath the filter, trust me that's all you need.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k

Yours an auto? I have an 00 Z28 with the K&N FIPK and ran against my friend plenty of times. We were always neck-and-neck from the line, I'd pull a very little on him for like around 30-40 MPH, then he'd inch ahead after about 40, and upto 80-90 he was out. I figured after so many runs with him, my car with the FIPK would run possibly a 13.6-7
    Yeah it was a pretty good run...and yes it is an AUTO My first night at the same track with my old Z I had it's best time was 13.3 @ 104 something....w/ borla and SLP lid and Ram air...so this one actually seemed a little better....also keep in mind I did run Drag Radials on this car. I beleive if i had some better slicks these ones are pretty worn out it would have done even better.

2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k

13.5 for a car with LT's and ORY isn't too good unless was at high elevation or the D/A was 4000+. When my 02 was new, I added a catback, lid and was running with the stock 2:73 gears on all season street tires and ran a 13.54@107, I added 3:42 gears and ran a 13.1 and with the Long tubes with cats I would have run 12.9X's, but was during ET drags and I had to let off. Now with just the addition of a stall I run 12.6's and will be better once I get a Moser, have to launch easy now. My car is very heavy too and weighs in at about 3900 lbs with me in it. I put on the beefiest SFC's double diamond, LCA is boxed, STB, Heavy wheels, my fat a$$ and every option available in 02. With a small stall you will be in the 12's nice. Have to love the Ls1's.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 03-27-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by 98-NBM-Z28
    Dude I'll tell you right now just get a functional hood. You should really cut out a slot underneath the filter, trust me that's all you need.
    Got an SS functional hood on there already.

Thread Information