Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Unhappy Some Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    This should work until a 16 year old chick on her cell phone totals your car for you.
    It doesn't matter how careful you are, some idiot can always hit you.......not to mention a real accident can happen if you drive in the rain, etc. Someone hit be recently and splitting the door at least 8 inches on my Saturn... I was parked when this happed.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    As correct as I want to admit from what you stated, we are not in control. Vehicles flow with the technology and the time. If gasoline is to be done away with for electrically charged vehicle, then it is. How will our 8 cylinders be fuel?

Registration fee, taxes, etc. can be increased for V8 owners in the future. Look at insurance, my TA premiums is higher than that of my sedan. Sucks the shit, especially when I qualify my two TA as spare vehicles, I'm not let off the hook.

The Challenger somewhat looks alright but it does not have that external appeal...... way too retro. And at the price of $40k, it chills my spine emptying your pocket book for such a vehicle.

You or someone else mentioned in this thread of keeping your vehicle until someone hits it...... that shit happen to me in my Saturn recently. The fucker pull towards my rear quarter panel and T me while I was parked in the median. He does not want to admit fault. My door splitted..... damn cars of today, so cheaply made.

But in all honesty, you don't see vehicles of 60 years ago daily on the street these days.

Screw that, I wanted an 8 cylinder vehicle that is powered by H20 delivering 400 horses.... now that is the future.
    Well if thats what you want thats fine,,,,I personally don't see water powered vehicles running around, let alone making 400 HP on it. It's a nice thought though.

If you come out here you will see 50's and 60's cars running around all the time weather permitting. I drive mine all the time, don't care about gas mileage really, and just enjoy the heck out of them.
    My only drawback is winter time snow with salt on the roads. We have recently rectified that problem, buying a house in Arizona where I can drive the hotrods year round without weather concerns.

It doesn't matter how careful you are, some idiot can always hit you.......not to mention a real accident can happen if you drive in the rain, etc. Someone hit be recently and splitting the door at least 8 inches on my Saturn... I was parked when this happed.
    Yes it's always a concern and proper insurance on these old cars is a must, but it's a chance I am willing to take. Every mile puts a smile on my face that a new car just can't do. Some people prefer to make them garage queens,,,,thats just not me.
    I'm happy driving them and thats all that matters,,,I think it's wrong that society wants to stick their noses in my business and try to tell me what I should or shouldn't be driving, or what I can change or not change on the cars, although it would seem that things are heading in that direction. I just hope I'm dead and gone before it gets that bad.

Actually Matt,,,,being originally from California,,,(my wife born and raised) we still visit out there 3-4 times a year to see family,,,,and I still see quite a few hotrods running around on the streets out there. It used to be hot and heavy years ago in Cali,,,,and I would assume it still is with the weather you guys have it's perfect for that.

I still frequent some of the cruise inns out there too, and they seem to be hoppin' as well.

But Cinci seems to be a hotspot for Ohio, although seasonal of course.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Driving It!

hahahahah... you are a Die Hard vehicle user huh? I have two Trans Am... one is a garage queen where I want to pass onto my children..... but as I think it, why should it not be used and get wear and tear from the weather. If you love your vehicle that much, than it should be driven right?

That snow salt in your area kills underside in the long run.... right you are to move to Arizona.

I guess I just want to keep my queen new sitting in the garage. That vehicle has never seen rain at all. The underside is factory new with 11,000 miles on it. If I leave it to the children, they will probably drive the hell out of it and get more satisfaction than I.... not fair huh?

I better think about driving it.

Vroom!
    Mattttttttttttttttttttttttttt

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Are you willing to throw 44g in for the ownership of this vehicle?
    Click for full size
    44G's on a challenger..? I don't think so I'd rather buy a vette with an LS-3 and do some bolt-ons and get it running high 11's.. Smoking them challengers like its nothing.. If you really want to upgrade it throw in a cam/heads.. all I can say is "OH Boy"....

hahahahah... you are a Die Hard vehicle user huh? I have two Trans Am... one is a garage queen where I want to pass onto my children..... but as I think it, why should it not be used and get wear and tear from the weather. If you love your vehicle that much, than it should be driven right?

That snow salt in your area kills underside in the long run.... right you are to move to Arizona.

I guess I just want to keep my queen new sitting in the garage. That vehicle has never seen rain at all. The underside is factory new with 11,000 miles on it. If I leave it to the children, they will probably drive the hell out of it and get more satisfaction than I.... not fair huh?

I better think about driving it.

Vroom!
    I can understand that. I have a few that I won't drive in the salt,,,only because I want the cars around for the next 20 years,,,and salt makes quick work of them.
    But when the salt is washed away and the sun comes out,,,,you can bet I am driving them everywhere. We even take vacations in them.
    I only try to keep the rust away,,,everything else goes,,,and they have their fair share of rock chips. I'm okay with that.
    Drive em' and enjoy em', the next person probably will,,,right?

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    44G's on a challenger..? I don't think so I'd rather buy a vette with an LS-3 and do some bolt-ons and get it running high 11's.. Smoking them challengers like its nothing.. If you really want to upgrade it throw in a cam/heads.. all I can say is "OH Boy"....
    Guess it depends on the person. The newer vettes don't do anything for me. Not to mention I can't take the family on vacation in one. For us it has to have a back seat. Our current vette (71 454) is really about useless for anything but my wife to drive to work by herself.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs down Money Talks!

To each his own, though I feel you are right....44 G out the door is steep... man, not to even mention there might be a bigger tax on V8s in the future. I'm speaking about penalizing for purchase interest in a gas guzzler.

It's like the cigarette tax... you want to smoke? You have to pay extra for it. I'm just speaking out of my ass, though you can't doubt that it won't happen.

What a sick world where money always talk!

All of what is going on has placed a big dent on my dream of owning a new Camaro. The freaking curb priced has killed my interest!

Last edited by matthewaqui; 02-06-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Red face Drive Them To Hell

You Freaker Jones,

Seems like we have somewhat in common........

All of what is going on has placed a big dent on my dream of owning a new Camaro. The freaking curb priced has killed my interest based on the penalty of Production! It was mentioned so hot and heavy that the Camaro pricing will be inline with that of the Mustangs..... that has fallen apart as we speak. If GM can not produce other models from the same plant as the Camaro, for sure they will jack the price to makeup cost.

I bite my nail knowing this, for I will probably now replace my engine one day and the Rack and pinion within the next couple years. I was holding off from the Rack replacement for the Camaro. Rack has a leak. This Daily Trans Am has 120,000 miles on it.

My only interest in getting a second TA was to drive it daily. Luckily it seats 4 where I can pick up the children from school. I have 3 children and they fit in the coupe just fine, though it's tight in the back. My 2 children are under 6, thus, I can haul for a couple years without any problem.

All sport 2 seaters are out of the question and useless to me, would be just another tucked away garage queen.

Funny that you constantly posted back and forth with me this morning. I'm at work writing replying.

Why did you move out of California?

I own 2 Trans Am, and Expedition and a Saturn. It's a pain the ass to maintain all of them, especially when 2 of them are not driven. I say you enjoy them and drive them to hell if you own them. A Backup vehicle is always a must though!

I'm here in Southern California, in Lakewood!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink

Arizona huh? You must be a MaCain supporter hahahahahah!!!!
    Why even Ohio in the first place? I lived in Iowa and have been in Columbus Ohio in the past...... not my first selection for residence. I don't know about Arizone either!

You should move back to Souther California.... maybe Huntington Beach.

I was referring to old cars as a daily driver...... sure there are classics driving around in Cali, but they are for weekends only.

Funny how things are similar. I am the same way. I plan to just keep what I have, replace motors as necessary and keep driving. Since the aftermarket is there, it's easy to keep one on the road. As long as that keeps up, it shouldn't be a problem. Or um,,,until I get too old to mess with them,,,I hope at that point my son can take over,,lol.

My wife works for a company in Torrance off of Supleveda Blvd. called Stewart Filmscreen. I was tired of the smog testing, congestion on the streets, people that didn't speak English, etc...She is originally from Sacramento, which at the time was alot of rice fields further north and somewhat quaint so you could imagine what a change LA was. Now Sac is just as busy and developing like mad.
    Anyway that company started another branch here in Cincinnati and it was her chance to escape,,,lol.

Although being the sun bunnies that we are, 20 years of cold winter snows have taken their toll. We didn't want to go back to California but wanted to be close to family and just settled on Arizona. We have vacationed there dozens of times over the years so it became natural. It's close enough to drive over to Cali, weather is warm and dry, so we bought a house out there. Just haven't moved yet. We aren't McCain supporters or anything, it just turned out that way,,,lol.

Lakewood is a nice area though, been there long?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Lakewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooood

Torrance Sepulveda....... I am familiar with the Area. I used to teach in Carson........ I work in Parmount now and drive to Carson everyday to pick up the children from their school. I used to live in Garden Grove, Orange County.

I have been in Lakewood since 2001 when I was singled and purchased a home there. Same year I picked up my 1st TA. To purchase a home and a TA in the same year was like being in Heavan to me!!!! Ahhhhh the single life.... Man, the children came to being in 2002... short lived hahahah!

Baby Carseats don't do well in TA passenger seats!

At any rate, Arizona is somewhat warm in the summer... as I heard, certain areas in Arizona is heavily smog polluted.

At any rate, that's part of life.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Funny how things are similar. I am the same way. I plan to just keep what I have, replace motors as necessary and keep driving. Since the aftermarket is there, it's easy to keep one on the road. As long as that keeps up, it shouldn't be a problem. Or um,,,until I get too old to mess with them,,,I hope at that point my son can take over,,lol.

My wife works for a company in Torrance off of Supleveda Blvd. called Stewart Filmscreen. I was tired of the smog testing, congestion on the streets, people that didn't speak English, etc...She is originally from Sacramento, which at the time was alot of rice fields further north and somewhat quaint so you could imagine what a change LA was. Now Sac is just as busy and developing like mad.
    Anyway that company started another branch here in Cincinnati and it was her chance to escape,,,lol.

Although being the sun bunnies that we are, 20 years of cold winter snows have taken their toll. We didn't want to go back to California but wanted to be close to family and just settled on Arizona. We have vacationed there dozens of times over the years so it became natural. It's close enough to drive over to Cali, weather is warm and dry, so we bought a house out there. Just haven't moved yet. We aren't McCain supporters or anything, it just turned out that way,,,lol.

Lakewood is a nice area though, been there long?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I would be buying new for use as a DD to replace my aging 89 RS. The 02 Z as well as my 67 RS/SS big block Camaro are toy's (bookends as it were) that I intend to keep regardless.

And I'd only buy the Challenger if the new Camaro is stillborn.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Arizona huh? You must be a MaCain supporter hahahahahah!!!!
    Why even Ohio in the first place? I lived in Iowa and have been in Columbus Ohio in the past...... not my first selection for residence. I don't know about Arizone either!

You should move back to Souther California.... maybe Huntington Beach.

I was referring to old cars as a daily driver...... sure there are classics driving around in Cali, but they are for weekends only.
    I'm originally from SoCal, Gardena born and bred to be exact. I now reside in Az but maintain contacts back in the hometown. My former neighbor has a 63 V8 Nova SS that he daily drives. He doesn't have to as they (he and his wife) have other cars but he loves the car, especially as it currently has a 355 with a blower on it.

Just wanted to point out that folks still do DD their classics.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Daily Wear N Tear

No problem that's cool that they can drive their Classics on a daily basis... once in a while, I will see a Pinto rolling around hahahaha.

I was just speaking to a company employee who just made a drop off in Gardena a couple minutes ago. Small world where you and Jones are both from Southern California and will be (he) living in Arizona.

A couple weeks ago, I was speaking to a lady who purchased her new Mazda in December. She mentioned that her 1992 Oldsmobile had 500,000 miles on it. Her husband is a Smog Test who kept the vehicle alive for all these years with various repairs.

If you can keep a vehicle running, than the wear and tear will probably be your barrier...... a New paint job, etc. is inevitable huh? I want to turn my silver TA into a yellow one if I decide to keep it..... it's just the Silver paint is still looking good.

Matttttttttttt

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Wink Vehicle Life

Speaking about 89........ my father still is driving his 89 V6 Firebird where I drove it for a couple years in the late 90s. It's having a hard time passing smog. I don't know what the average year usage of a vehicle.... but 20 years looks to be at the higher end of a DD vehicle life.

I'll look for an answer to that on the Internet.

Mmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I would be buying new for use as a DD to replace my aging 89 RS. The 02 Z as well as my 67 RS/SS big block Camaro are toy's (bookends as it were) that I intend to keep regardless.

And I'd only buy the Challenger if the new Camaro is stillborn.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Guess it depends on the person. The newer vettes don't do anything for me. Not to mention I can't take the family on vacation in one. For us it has to have a back seat. Our current vette (71 454) is really about useless for anything but my wife to drive to work by herself.
    Yeah I hear ya.. thery are not a family car 4 sure them vettes.. But i was talking bang for your buck.. it would have to be a vette for me.. Cuz i'm solo.. and i plan on be that way for awhile. I guess if you had a family it would be kool. but then again thats why they make suv's and minivans for. I can't really picture me and my kids (if i ever have any) riding in something with 400HP or even 500HP.. Maybe wit a chick but not a family.. I'd be too tempeted to just punch it and let it rip...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

My 89 has 217,xxx on it. I bought it when it was 2 years old with 29,xxx on it. It smokes on startup now but that's because the valve seals are no doubt shot and it only uses about 1/2 quart between oil changes (every 3K miles). It started doing that about 5-6 years ago. The 305 engine seems like it will run forever. It passed smog check last time and will be due again this year. I've only replaced/repaired external items (brakes, shocks, water pump, alternator, rebuilt the TBI + basic maintainence items) and done 1 cheapie repaint.

When I buy the next new car in 09 or 10, i'll retire it and register it as a collector car (won't have to smog it then) and build it to race with a 406.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

even a better reason to hold onto your cars, it looks as if they will be under powered and over weight, what a pity, oh well, i love them but damn future isnt looking too bright now what i mean?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information