• mobile 1

65 62.50%
  • roayal purple

39 37.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I use RP 10w40 in the engine, Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid (10W) in the tranny and Red Line Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil (75W90) in the rear. Happy with it so all of them. i don't know if there where any gains but I like the RP oil much better than Mobil 1 which I was using before.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    I use RP 10w40 in the engine, Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid (10W) in the tranny and Red Line Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil (75W90) in the rear. Happy with it so all of them. i don't know if there where any gains but I like the RP oil much better than Mobil 1 which I was using before.
    I went with 10-40 also. Its mega hot here in tampa and I think 5-30 is a bit too thin.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Uhhhh, the T56 takes automatic tranny fluid

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    On the back the german stuff says it's imported from germany, the other stuff says manufactured in (somewhere in the US)

You will pick up HP on the dyno switching from synthetic to dino oil if all the fluids in your car are old and you change them all to clean new oils. It has nothing to do with just being a better oil.
    just what i was about to say. they even said on the show it would be good to change all the fluids yearly. and oil before 3 k for most performance.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

i use castrol sythetic blend to trasition into full synthetic to be on the same side. previous owner never used synthetic and i have in every one of my cars, so of course the z is getting it.

who else burns oil? i know i do. and i came figure it out....

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i was using 20w 50 for a while. real thick.

Black
    2002 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Mobil 1 is not a 100% synthetic anymore....
    really i didnt know that ... when did they start that...
    i do know that if you dont use mobil 1 in the corvets that it takes out your warranty

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    i use castrol sythetic blend to trasition into full synthetic to be on the same side. previous owner never used synthetic and i have in every one of my cars, so of course the z is getting it.

who else burns oil? i know i do. and i came figure it out....
    anyone that doesn't burn oil doesn't drive their car. we have low tension rings, you're supposed to burn a little, and if you race it alot or drive it hard you will use even more. it's normal to an extent

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird02 View Post
    really i didnt know that ... when did they start that...
    i do know that if you dont use mobil 1 in the corvets that it takes out your warranty
    woow thats outragieies

white
    2002 z28

still what is the difference between the reg mobile1 and the "extreame"

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

mobil 1 regular works fine for me 5w-30

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    anyone that doesn't burn oil doesn't drive their car. we have low tension rings, you're supposed to burn a little, and if you race it alot or drive it hard you will use even more. it's normal to an extent
    Mine doesn't burn any and I drive it everyday, with some spirited driving mixed in. It's always full between changes. Larry.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    still what is the difference between the reg mobile1 and the "extreame"
    .50 a quart

SteveC

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i saw a commercail on that extream stuff. would that be better to use that moblil 1 or just stay w reg. mobile 1

whats really the diff besides the price?
    Sorry I missed your post earlier. I was wrong about the name, it's "Extended Performance" not Extreme. My apologies.

They claim it's 15,000 mile oil. That's what they said about Mobil 1 (original formula) when it first came out. Fill it and forget it oil. I doubt any of us here would do that. Like I mentioned earlier, you're better off re-using the same oil BUT changing your filter, than you would be by changing the oil and NOT changing the filter, so "extended" service oils seem to glaze over that tidbit.

My guess is that the Extended Performance is really closer to the original (earlier) version and the now "standard Mobil 1" has been made with some cost savings in the process.

To me it's like the ice cream companies changing from two quart containers to slightly smaller ones, and just whistling and looking up, hoping nobody noticed.

I'm using the "Extended" version right now w/Mobil 1 filters (which I happen to prefer). But the change interval will stay at 5000 miles.

P.S. Has anyone ever used the magnetic oil fill bolt for a long time? Did you ever see much metal? I figure the most metal shavings would be when brand new in an engine, but I've never had a car w/ a magnetic bolt from the git.

I have 3 different cars with the magnetic bolt, and yes it does pick up a very slight amount of debri, but very little.
    2 of the motors that I use them on, I rebuilt in the past and were new from the get go. I really don't notice anymore debri than I do between changes. It's barely enough to even notice unless you take the time to rub it on a white paper towel and only then can you see a small amount of grey matter. But keep in mind I change my oil in every car every 2,000 miles, no if's and's or butt's. I don't believe in that extended oil change bologna just because the oil is synthetic. Oil is the blood of the engine and the cleaner you keep it the better off you are. I use synthetic and still change it as stated above. But I am a finatic about maintainance, don't care how much it costs. Larry.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have 3 different cars with the magnetic bolt, and yes it does pick up a very slight amount of debri, but very little.
    2 of the motors that I use them on, I rebuilt in the past and were new from the get go. I really don't notice anymore debri than I do between changes. It's barely enough to even notice unless you take the time to rub it on a white paper towel and only then can you see a small amount of grey matter. But keep in mind I change my oil in every car every 2,000 miles, no if's and's or butt's. I don't believe in that extended oil change bologna just because the oil is synthetic. Oil is the blood of the engine and the cleaner you keep it the better off you are. I use synthetic and still change it as stated above. But I am a finatic about maintainance, don't care how much it costs. Larry.
    Cool. I mean for a few bucks, why not get one? They sure like magnets for trannys. Every little bit of debris you take out of the oil helps.

Ya I usually add them too if a car doesn't have it. I even go as far as to glue a magnet to the bottom of the auto transmission pan. I also glue a magnet to the inside of the rearend cover. Although most of the GM rearends that came with a factory posi unit have the magnet already in place. Can't have too many magnets

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

if i dont intend to be doing much racing is it good enough to replace the dif oil with synthetic dif oil from the dealer and do I need some type of additive? Please let me know.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Sarge needs to check in...

This oil debate went on last year here in LS1.com and Sarge checked in with very interesting and factual research that opened alot of eyes on oil. I wont speek for him, I would probably screw it up, Sarge hello?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Whwn Mobil 1 was a full synthetic, tests proved it would go 17,000 miles before breaking down. Obviously a filter change would have to be involved in regular intervals.
    No idea now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information