Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    do the wires go back to the HU?

White
    2001Camaro SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    do the wires go back to the HU?
    I don't know I haven't got that far yet but I'm pretty sure that I don't have the Monsoon amp. I could be wrong though, its happened before!

if you have the amp it will be back by the spare tire tucked away behind some plastic

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I've never personally seen a camaro or firebird without the monsoon system... your chances are great that you have the amp...

White
    2001Camaro SS Convertible

I'm going to check for the amp this weekend, I have to work late all week. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the help.

pimpin the black on black

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I'm looking to re do my whole system in my 00 T/A. I have a new head unit and some subs I want to put it in. Now what i'm wondering, is if once i buy all new speakers, would I be able to run my door/rear speaks and head unit off of the monsoon amp and then just buy a seperate amp for the subs? I've heard a lot of people say that the monsoon amp isn't really compatible w/ other stuff but i wanted to hear from people who have actually done it.

monsoon isnt powerful enough for aftermarket speakers, you can make it sound better with an aftermarket head unit though by using the preouts for the amp

pimpin the black on black

Black
    2000 Trans Am

monsoon isnt powerful enough for aftermarket speakers, you can make it sound better with an aftermarket head unit though by using the preouts for the amp

so i should just ditch the monsoon amp and get a new one?

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Are you incinuating that you can use an aftermarket headunit's pre-amp outputs (RCAs) to wire into the stock monsoon amp?

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    Are you incinuating that you can use an aftermarket headunit's pre-amp outputs (RCAs) to wire into the stock monsoon amp?

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Question. Where is the "Monsoon Amp" located. I took my car down to the metal, and just assumed that it was part of the head unit (that I put in the trash so no one else would have to deal with that piece of ....)

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

how do you accomplish this exactly? I even started a thread about this specifically, and no one could figure it out... the monsoon amp only accepts speaker-level inputs, and if you used the RCAs from the aftermarket headunit, they'd be the wrong impedance...

but I'm up to learn something new... not that I'd bother wiring the headunit up like that, since I'd be more apt to actually install all the amps I already own and just yank the monsoon outta there...

how do you accomplish this exactly? I even started a thread about this specifically, and no one could figure it out... the monsoon amp only accepts speaker-level inputs, and if you used the RCAs from the aftermarket headunit, they'd be the wrong impedance...

but I'm up to learn something new... not that I'd bother wiring the headunit up like that, since I'd be more apt to actually install all the amps I already own and just yank the monsoon outta there...
    just hack off one of the ends on the rca's and plug the other into the head unit's subout or low out channel, don't have to worry about wrong impedance since you're sending a live signal to the amp in the firstplace, which is much worse than the line level you were sending it with the factory

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

the monsoon headunit should be expecting a full-range sound source... it filters it down internally for the subwoofers...

so you're saying you can send the standard RCA line-level straight to the speaker-level input on the monsoon amp? I always thought this was possible but didn't want to go through all the work since I'm going to be using all aftermmarket goodies anyways...

the monsoon headunit should be expecting a full-range sound source... it filters it down internally for the subwoofers...

so you're saying you can send the standard RCA line-level straight to the speaker-level input on the monsoon amp? I always thought this was possible but didn't want to go through all the work since I'm going to be using all aftermmarket goodies anyways...
    you got it

Just got mine off ebay for 81 dollars. thanks

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

you got it
    is there a way to adjust the gain on the monsoon? I bet the change in impedance will require some sort of adjustment...

and for sure, there's no way to isolate the subwoofer signal right? so my headunit can control them separately?

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

is there a way to adjust the gain on the monsoon? I bet the change in impedance will require some sort of adjustment...

and for sure, there's no way to isolate the subwoofer signal right? so my headunit can control them separately?
    There are tons of "modules" and other gadgets out there that can isolate a frequency range for you; however, they are not normally used in higher end systems because the sound produced is not great, even though they will isolate the signal for you. WalMart sells them if that give you an indication of the crowd those are marketed to.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I guess I wasn't clear enough, I could care less about filtering... I meant a phsyical input on the amp for the subwoofers....

stock, it pulls the signal from the rear speakers, then interally filters it to power the subwoofers...

I would rather have SEPARATE subwoofer control... but it's not looking possible... oh well, time to wire up some amps

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

GraphicsGod: I recently had the driver's side door skin replaced because one of my neighbors backed into my car - thank God he owned up to it (pretty hard to escape, he set off the car alarm) and paid in full for the repair. I noticed that the pod (door storage pocket) that holds the speakers seems to be coming loose - at best, it doesn't fit right after the body shop repair. Since it sounds like my door speaker is shot, I'm going to replace the front speakers anyway. Will the Infinity 62.7s fit the speaker opening without major work and pain? (I have a 2000 T/A with the Monsoon system.) How do you remove the speaker pod/door pocket without taking off the door panels? Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information