Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I am lazy-I like ramps (unless wheel needs taken off)-even then I use the ramps then put my jack under there-beats slapping the arm of the jack on the bottom of the car and having to pump it 4 million lil ass pumps.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I am lazy-I like ramps (unless wheel needs taken off)-even then I use the ramps then put my jack under there-beats slapping the arm of the jack on the bottom of the car and having to pump it 4 million lil ass pumps.
    +1 times a billion... hate my jack... takes too many pumps to move 1 inch... when the car is on the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    they make lower (racing) jacks. try those if you're having issues. i had my 91 dropped 2 inches, and i didn't have any issues with it. even with the 98, i've got tons of room. try harbor frieght tools, or sears. they carry them.
    Ya I just saw summit advertising theirs. For only $189 it's a 2 1/2 ton jack that is only 2 3/4 inches off the ground,,,,I would say if you can't slide that under your car it's just too damn low.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    +1 times a billion... hate my jack... takes too many pumps to move 1 inch... when the car is on the floor...
    Sheeesh it's not that bad,,,it's all I had for years before I got the lift.
    Maybe a better jack is in order for you. They do make jacks that go up in rapid fassion if your too lazy to pump it a few times,,,,lol.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sheeesh it's not that bad,,,it's all I had for years before I got the lift.
    Maybe a better jack is in order for you. They do make jacks that go up in rapid fassion if your too lazy to pump it a few times,,,,lol.
    it's a Craftsman jack that goes up fast...but once it has weight on it...it goes up very slow... plus it's not in the best of conditions... plus that 2 inches of travel it has when it's under the car...doesn't really help...especially if you are jacking the car up from the front...

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

I would love to have a lift in my garage. I just spent about 3 hours on my back last night putting the dual cats in the y-pipe to go with my longtube headers. I can't tell you how many times I smashed my face against the bottom of the car trying to look for the tools. I think I need to get back under it again today to try and push the y-pipe up a little higher. But it's 26 degrees out and my garage isn't heated so that may need to wait for another day. As long as I clear the speed bumps at work!
    2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, #'s matching - being restored

Quote Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
    I would love to have a lift in my garage. I just spent about 3 hours on my back last night putting the dual cats in the y-pipe to go with my longtube headers. I can't tell you how many times I smashed my face against the bottom of the car trying to look for the tools. I think I need to get back under it again today to try and push the y-pipe up a little higher. But it's 26 degrees out and my garage isn't heated so that may need to wait for another day. As long as I clear the speed bumps at work!
    I feel for ya man. I layed on my back for years and couldn't believe I did it that long once the lift was installed a few years ago. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. If you were close enough I would be more than happy to let you use the shop and lend a hand. It literally turns a back breaking all day job into a simple couple of hours with a beer brake in between,,,or ice tea in my case,,,lol.

I would love to see the hot rods. I had a pair of 69 L78 camaros and one 69 L78 chevelle over the years. I still have a decent muscle car collection though. I make a living working on that old stuff. Hope it works out for you.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya I just saw summit advertising theirs. For only $189 it's a 2 1/2 ton jack that is only 2 3/4 inches off the ground,,,,I would say if you can't slide that under your car it's just too damn low.

wow that's alot. i picked up my jack from HFT for $130 or so. and i think they can be had cheaper at sears. occasionally HFT will have a sale, and you can pick them up for $99.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    wow that's alot. i picked up my jack from HFT for $130 or so. and i think they can be had cheaper at sears. occasionally HFT will have a sale, and you can pick them up for $99.
    You are talking about China Freight though,,,,oh I mean Harbor Freight,,,,lol.
    Actually you are paying for the low profile which it seems everyone around here needs.

Those prices you have both at Harbor Freight and Sears are not 2 3/4 inches from the ground.

$189 for a jack is actually pretty cheap,,,,you can get into aluminum construction for lightweight and many other fancy options and drive the price more than triple that if you like.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ yeah some aluminum jacks are VERY high dollar. Better off in the long run to spend a little more money for a good floor jack because its something that will be used pretty often. I payed $160 for mine and had it for 10 years with no issues. I am gonna buy a new one soon and have 2.

I agree, it may not be necessary to spend tons of money on the best there is,,,but good quality is a strong requirement for anything I buy,,,especially something holding 4,000 lbs. in the air while I am under it.

I still have a pair of floor jacks although very seldom used now, I had to spend more money after finding out the hard way. Before that I had another pair that were of the cheap version,,,and one worked for a while before colapsing a car,,,and the other had a bleed down problem,,,about as fast as you could pump it,,,it would come back down.

Although jack stands should be under the car at all times,,,,it's still a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    I took the Rhino ramps back. Not wide enough
    There are two versions of Rhino ramps. One type is black in color which are narrower and have a lower weight capacity. The other type is grey in color and fit 275 width tires and also have a higher weight capacity. Be sure to buy the grey ones and they should work perfectly unless your car is real low.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by wicknewman View Post
    There are two versions of Rhino ramps. One type is black in color which are narrower and have a lower weight capacity. The other type is grey in color and fit 275 width tires and also have a higher weight capacity. Be sure to buy the grey ones and they should work perfectly unless your car is real low.
    I have the grey ones and they work great. I have 275/40/17 tires.

green
    94 camaro z28

kwick lift 1300 plus shipping
    pro 7 4 post lift 1600 with shipping
    (greg smith lift equipment )

you decide

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by didntdoit View Post
    kwick lift 1300 plus shipping
    pro 7 4 post lift 1600 with shipping
    (greg smith lift equipment )

you decide
    That really nice! How high is the roof in your garage? Does it have some sort of saftey cut off so you cant smash the car into the ceiling? I guess they move kinda slow so not much chance of doing that huh? Does it have to be bolted down to the concrete? The price is much more reasonable then I thought. If I ever get moved into the right house I will be getting one of those.

green
    94 camaro z28

bottom of joises is 7ft 4in does not need to be bolted it comes with casters so you may move it around one word of advise is call in all your favors this is heavy me and a buddy put it up in about 4 hours (with beer) i get the car approx 3 ft off the ground http://www.gregsmithequipment.com
    pro park 7
    Last edited by didntdoit; 12-08-2007 at 11:38 AM.

green
    94 camaro z28

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com

look at the pro park 7 thats what i orderd

They also make the 2 post lift,,,(what I use) that will fit under a low ceiling as well,,,,I beleive 8 feet is all thats required for some of them. Although you are limited how high you can lift the car though.

I built a garage specifically for a lift so there were no issues.

The 4 post generally don't have to be bolted down, but you are limited, when the car is on there,,,,you can't take the wheels off. You need the optional hydraulic jacks that can be had with the 4 post lifts,,,,this is additional money and drives the price up,,,,otherwise your stuck trying to use bottle jacks and such,,,and if you have to pull out a solid axle rearend your in for a real treat,,,,,,,the 4 post is a real pain if you ask me.

The 2 post lift eliminates all those issues,,,once the car is in the air thats it....you have total access to the entire underneath and all four wheels as well. You can yank off anything under the car without the lift getting in the way....it's the way to go for a serious car guy,,,,draw back though,,,,You need to have concrete thick enough to support the lift as it has to be bolted down,,,,,you have to have ceiling height to make the lift usable,,,for a tall person especially.

And don't forget all the accessories you'll need for a lift as well,,,,roll around oil drain,,,,roll around transmission jack is a must too,,,as it can be used for rearend removal,,,,gas tank removal,,,an all around good jack to have. Also some pole jacks come in handy.

By the time your done you can spend $3-4,000 on a nice lift setup with accessories,,,but once you have it you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would love to have a lift that had the positives from both. I'd like to have one that I could get to the wheels but also one you can drive on and work with a compressed suspension. I just see positives to both lifts. I think a 2 post is the way to go for 99% of the people though unless you own a garage. I've been holding off on a lift for several years because this house isn't a permanent house so at some point we'll be moving and I don't want to build the barn and get the lift and all that stuff only to move in a couple years.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I use Rhino Ramps.....you can get them at ChinaMart....I am saving all my Christmas money for a KwikLift system

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information