Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

402 = LS2 or LQ9 block
    408 = LQ9 block

Biggest difference is the material they are made out of. LS2 is aluminum and the LQ9 is iron.
    A few sensors are in different locations as well.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    I have a second generation LS1 block/ LQ9 block which is a 408 from Texas Speed Performance. It is the shit for racing or daily driving in my opnion...
    How much did it cost if you dont mind me askin or PM me if you dont want it public???

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    How much did it cost if you dont mind me askin or PM me if you dont want it public???
    Starting point....roughly $3600.
    And it can go WAY up from there for just the shortblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    402 = LS2 or LQ9 block
    408 = LQ9 block

Biggest difference is the material they are made out of. LS2 is aluminum and the LQ9 is iron.
    A few sensors are in different locations as well.
    Well the LQ9 iron is good for its strength and durability plus it help to keep the nose down with the added weight on the front end.....

But to everyone... Is it worth getting a LQ9 and stroking it to 408 then doing everything else or should i just 383 stroke my LS1 and call it a day?? And with the LQ9 block would my FAST 90/90 and everything else i have be compatible wit it??

Starting point....roughly $3600.
    And it can go WAY up from there for just the shortblock.
    Thats just for the stroker right cuz our sponsor Thunder racing has it for around that and i guess the block would be around $1500??? There goes that money pit again....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I have an LQ9 block in mine.
    Plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    Thats just for the stroker right cuz our sponsor Thunder racing has it for around that and i guess the block would be around $1500??? There goes that money pit again....
    Just the shortblock.
    No heads, no cam, no lifters, no timing chain, no timing covers, no sensors, etc....

I have an LQ9 block in mine.
    Plug and play.

Just the shortblock.
    No heads, no cam, no lifters, no timing chain, no timing covers, no sensors, etc....
    Well plug and play is good then cuz i have basically ALL the bolt on's to support the LS1 so if it's plug and play then i guess i could just buy the 408 short block and get the AFR 225s, transfer all my crap from my LS1 to the LQ9 and call it a day!!!

But now that im looking the crank and pistons arent the ones i want so i can see now how it can go WAAAAY up shit this is gunna get expensive!!!!!! But it's for speed so i'll allow it lol

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If I were you, I'd keep those 205s, you would be AMAZED at how well they do even on that big inch engine. I tuned a 9.5:1 408 with AFR225s and a built stalled A4. To my amazement, the car made just over 460rwhp!!! that's through the stalled auto with low compression! (and no blower yet like you)
    Last edited by Frost; 01-29-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    408 is an iron block stroker, ls1 based; 402 is an aluminum block ls2-based stroker.

Meth has a nozzle that goes in the intake tract and only sprays when the car is under boost

If I were you, I'd keep those 205s, you would be AMAZED at how well they do even on that big inch engine. I tuned a 9.5:1 408 with AFR225s and a built stalled A4. To my amazement, the car made just over 460rwhp!!! that's through the stalled auto with low compression! (and no blower yet like you)
    WOW thats pretty good for an A4 stalled... no cam in it??? And how much TQ cuz my cars specs are listed below and i dynoed at 461hp and 440tq with a relativly big cam and afr 205cc @ 62cc but this is with stock cubes is this normal??? Oh and i obviously have every bolt on possible for the car so mayb that was the difference... Im sure it's not unusal to see a 408 go over 500/500 right?
    Bulletproof Performance
    2002 Trans AM WS6 M6 Collectors Edition
    LSX 427 F-1R Procharged Build Underway
    Estimated Finish Date: Summer 2012-2013

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

No it had a large lumpy cam... are you a 6-speed? If so keep in mind the same engine with an automatic behind it will dyno much lower.

I would expect what you got for your mods; yeah a higher compression 40X" can hit over 500/500 with the right stuff, though as noted, much easier in an M6

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

the car I'm referring to is the "copperhead pearl" colored camaro on the first page of my site: http://www.LSxTune.com

No it had a large lumpy cam... are you a 6-speed? If so keep in mind the same engine with an automatic behind it will dyno much lower.

I would expect what you got for your mods; yeah a higher compression 40X" can hit over 500/500 with the right stuff, though as noted, much easier in an M6
    Yup im an M6 and i figured that an A4 would dyno significantly lower but still very good tho....Impressive... I was hoping to get as close as possible to 500/500 without increasing my CR too much cuz obviously it's gunna be blown eventually but with lets say 9.5:1 (the highest CR possible if going FI) with all supporting bolts on i would guess some where around 490hp and 480tq sound realistic?

the car I'm referring to is the "copperhead pearl" colored camaro on the first page of my site: http://www.LSxTune.com
    Niiice car must be one hell of a ride!!!!! Espically with a 408 lurking under the hood and all that juicy torque....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

490/480 is very high for 9.5:1 SCR, I don't know if you could make it that far... I didn't expect his to make what it did... who knows, plus it doesn't really matter what it makes without the SC if it's getting a SC though..

490/480 is very high for 9.5:1 SCR, I don't know if you could make it that far... I didn't expect his to make what it did... who knows, plus it doesn't really matter what it makes without the SC if it's getting a SC though..
    Yup mine is getting blown next year D1SC Procharger i think that will do the trick hopefully i can squeeze 14psi outta it and puss across 600hp

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you make that kind of power without the SC, you will be maxing out that D1 which will yield mid 700s I'd guess. May wanna think about an F1 up front when it's cheap to pick the bigger head unit, upgrading later is very costly

black
    99 hard top

how much power to the wheels are you pushing

Quote Originally Posted by infamous ss View Post
    how much power to the wheels are you pushing
    Now i'm @ 461RWHP and 440RWTQ mods are in the sig

If you make that kind of power without the SC, you will be maxing out that D1 which will yield mid 700s I'd guess. May wanna think about an F1 up front when it's cheap to pick the bigger head unit, upgrading later is very costly
    You think the F1 isn't street friendly or will be too much work to get it to run under normal conditions or would run the same as the D1SC head?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

it's a little more tight in there, but uses basically the same bracket as a d1. Preferred ATI distributors such as EPP sell the kit with your choice of head unit. Don't get me wrong, if you are fine with maxing out the D1 up front, and won't crave more later, the D1 will make all you can run with pump gas, and may possibly make as much as high 7s to 8 on a dynojet with pump gas and plenty of meth. F1 is loud at idle, sounds awesome, like a jet Good friend of mine has an F1 on his firehawk.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information