View Poll Results: turbo or super?

Voters
876. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer a supercharger to turbos.......

389 44.41%
  • I prefer turbos to superchargers........

487 55.59%
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324 LastLast
    Here for the free beer Nestromo's Avatar

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

This thread is gay. That said, I ordered a turbo kit yesterday.

pewter
    02' Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    The turbo will have way more torque down low then the supercharger
    No they wont.

pewter
    02' Z28

Twin Screw all the way!!!!!!

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

turbos are cooler than superchargers? check this out.

i bet there isn't a turbo on that gto.

Awaiting Activation

House of Kolors Blue
    1989 Ford Mustang(Drag)

I believe the twin screw will have more torque till about 3 grand, then the turbo takes off and the rest is history.

RED
    2002 SS CAMARO

Talking Turbo

TURBO IS FREE HP A SUPERCHARGER TAKES HP TO MAKE HP TURBO IS BETTER

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

BOTH!!!

The car, which Knight campaigned with Al Lidert, was one of many that had carried that name for Knight, but this technological marvel was fitted with a 6-71 supercharger in conjunction with two Schwitzer turbos putting out 60 pounds of boost funneled into a Hilborn injector.

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

That's awesome. I heard somehere that those sling shot dragsters need almost 400HP alone just to turn the Supercharger.

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

Tell me this then:

IF TURBOS ARE SOOOOO BLOODY GOOD, WHY AREN'T THE BIG BOYS IN THE NHRA USING THEM???? 4SEC PASSES ON TURBOS, I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

I run a 3.3ltr Whipple on a stroked 6ltr (6.6) and have around 1100NM torque (and would have more but maxed out the dyno)! Show me a street set up turbo charger that has that that's an every day drive car without pulling the computer out and changing tunes! I have this set up every day at my right foot from idle, none of this "spooling up" the turbo or cutting in a 3000rpm+!!

Turbos are for 2ltrs, dyno queens and skirts!

CASE CLOSED!!!!
    Last edited by Rattler; 02-29-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS SLP M6

Huh, I bloody guess it is then.....
    2002 SS M6 Convertible

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Tell me this then:

IF TURBOS ARE SOOOOO BLOODY GOOD, WHY AREN'T THE BIG BOYS IN THE NHRA USING THEM???? 4SEC PASSES ON TURBOS, I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

I run a 3.3ltr Whipple on a stroked 6ltr (6.6) and have around 1100NM torque (and would have more but maxed out the dyno)! Show me a street set up turbo charger that has that that's an every day drive car without pulling the computer out and changing tunes! I have this set up every day at my right foot from idle, none of this "spooling up" the turbo or cutting in a 3000rpm+!!

Turbos are for 2ltrs, dyno queens and skirts!

CASE CLOSED!!!!

Case closed??? Have you ever LOOKED under the hood of an f-body? Have you ever wondered why there ARE NO 3.3L f-bodies? THEY DON'T FIT.

The "big boys" of NHRA, as of right now, have no turbo option, and turbo setups have grown exponentially in popularity for gasoline setups since the fall in price and rise in power of better engine management systems in just the last few years.

Here's what you wanted to be shown too, a daily driven street setup that went 9.05 @ 155 through full exhaust and on big 17" wheels and drag radials and made 995rwhp/98Xrwtq (1330nm tq) when it was a 6-speed. This is a local friend of mine's car. http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCb0vLo-N7E More info and vid here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57836 Don't know what 1100nm of tq is, but my setup should be knocking on the 800ft/lb range on pump gas. Any good 3 bar tune can run 9 psi, push a button and run 16psi, push a button again and run 23psi if race gas permits. I have no idea why you think a computer needs to be swapped. I also don't know what the 3K spool issue is, an auto with a 4K stall spools as soon as you mash the pedal, that's what the stall is for, duh.

No to take away from how sweet that 3.3L is, but it may have gone to your head a bit.

-edit- just looked it up...1100nm is about 812ft/lb or tq... can't seriously think that's a huge number in this day and age.

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

I have around 1100NM torque (and would have more but maxed out the dyno)!
    Your car doesn't have the torque because the dyno didn't read it? And you say turbos are for dyno queens? You know what a dyno queen is, right?
    '95 Mustang GT - T-70, 3500 Lockup, DFI, 30k miles.
    - Still have to spend some money on it.

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Case closed??? Have you ever LOOKED under the hood of an f-body? Have you ever wondered why there ARE NO 3.3L f-bodies? THEY DON'T FIT.

The "big boys" of NHRA, as of right now, have no turbo option, and turbo setups have grown exponentially in popularity for gasoline setups since the fall in price and rise in power of better engine management systems in just the last few years.

Here's what you wanted to be shown too, a daily driven street setup that went 9.05 @ 155 through full exhaust and on big 17" wheels and drag radials and made 995rwhp/98Xrwtq (1330nm tq) when it was a 6-speed. This is a local friend of mine's car. http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCb0vLo-N7E More info and vid here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57836 Don't know what 1100nm of tq is, but my setup should be knocking on the 800ft/lb range on pump gas. Any good 3 bar tune can run 9 psi, push a button and run 16psi, push a button again and run 23psi if race gas permits. I have no idea why you think a computer needs to be swapped. I also don't know what the 3K spool issue is, an auto with a 4K stall spools as soon as you mash the pedal, that's what the stall is for, duh.

No to take away from how sweet that 3.3L is, but it may have gone to your head a bit.

-edit- just looked it up...1100nm is about 812ft/lb or tq... can't seriously think that's a huge number in this day and age.
    I'm sorry, but you showed be a 4sec pass with a turbo?? Mine does 9.2@147 and I have 2450kgs of weight!! I drive mine everyday to and from work, out to see customers and have driven her 4,000kms across Australia! Driving around in something that has a 4,000rpm stall ISN'T what I'd call an everyday bloody driver!! How does that go pulling up to the local authorities? Or high stalls are good on the streets of USA? They aren't here! I'm running 14lb on a 2bar tune and is safe as hell!!

This is a poll, and this is my opinion only!

Fits under the bonnet just nicely

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

Quote Originally Posted by Nestromo View Post
    Your car doesn't have the torque because the dyno didn't read it? And you say turbos are for dyno queens? You know what a dyno queen is, right?
    On the single retarder dyno we used, it maxed out at 1100NM which only gave me a figure of 503rwkw (750rwhp).

Yes mate, a "Dyno Queen" over here is someone who builds a street car for dynos only! They trailer their cars to dyno days, jump on, make 1800rwhp, win, put them back on a trailer and take 'em home! To me, that's not a true streeter as anyone can build a high horsepower car for dynos!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

turbos

not sayin ive done it all but prochargers superchargers,nitrous,turbos are way better no belts,no bottles.i say turbos rule

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

On the single retarder dyno we used, it maxed out at 1100NM which only gave me a figure of 503rwkw (750rwhp).

Yes mate, a "Dyno Queen" over here is someone who builds a street car for dynos only! They trailer their cars to dyno days, jump on, make 1800rwhp, win, put them back on a trailer and take 'em home! To me, that's not a true streeter as anyone can build a high horsepower car for dynos!

Don't get me wrong, you have a heck of a nice ride! And if that blower would under the hood of an f-body there would be buttloads of them. That TA in the link was a daily driver for years until about 4 months or so ago since he acquired a hot typhoon. The stalls for turbo cars are incredibly tight down low when they are not in boost, so it doesn't sround flashing 3K to pull off, and the trans is a 4l80 so it locks up... anything with a lockup is very streetable. His car is pretty quiet as is mine. Once the exhaust goes through the turbo and through a muffler it makes it sound pretty tame. A dyno queen here is somebody who makes big numbers but can't back them up at the track or on the street.

Oh yeah, more on that TA... he drove it from from Va to freaking Michigan to Wheel2Wheel, and drove it 10 hours one-way to Memphis TN and won a street class there (crowned king of the street!) and won an award in the car show too! And then drove it home...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Another buddy with a F1c procharged firehawk (http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=115) is building a 6-bolt ERL block 42X" setup with TWIN 76s!! That's over 2K flywheel HP. It will be running BS3 and 160lbers with a lot of meth. This car has a 4l80e lockup overdrive tranny too, and ran almost the same as yours, something like a 9.23 @ 147 on the F1c blower.

Blue
    2004 HSV Clubsport

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Don't get me wrong, you have a heck of a nice ride! And if that blower would under the hood of an f-body there would be buttloads of them. That TA in the link was a daily driver for years until about 4 months or so ago since he acquired a hot typhoon. The stalls for turbo cars are incredibly tight down low when they are not in boost, so it doesn't sround flashing 3K to pull off, and the trans is a 4l80 so it locks up... anything with a lockup is very streetable. His car is pretty quiet as is mine. Once the exhaust goes through the turbo and through a muffler it makes it sound pretty tame. A dyno queen here is somebody who makes big numbers but can't back them up at the track or on the street.

Oh yeah, more on that TA... he drove it from from Va to freaking Michigan to Wheel2Wheel, and drove it 10 hours one-way to Memphis TN and won a street class there (crowned king of the street!) and won an award in the car show too! And then drove it home...
    All good mate! Mine is also a manual so you can imagine under load what she's like with a twin 3" Difilliopo exhaust!! This is a little 2nd geary

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...Rattler1-1.flv

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

That thing is hot! Too bad we can't get them here

B&G Custom T-70
    Laser Red '95 Mustang GT

I was refering to you saying that your car only hd 1100NM because that is all the dyno read.

Oh, and heat pump or no heat pump... your car is absolutely SICK. That car looks mean. A lot of it is the wheels/tires/stance. If I had your hand I'd throw mine in.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324 LastLast

Thread Information