Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No sir, we ran out of time and called it a day. Never tried the Denso plugs. This was just something I talked him into since we had the opportunity with an LS motor, and it always bothered me in the parts stores that the AC plugs didn't have a designated heat range.

We ran a little gen 1 327 on the dyno the other day but had AC's in that one as well, already knew the plug/heat range we wanted and just went with it. Old school motor that took the old school type plugs with heat ranges so no guessing there.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

hey thanks for the input on E3's. will try the iridiums when i get back.

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

NGK plugs are junk. Buying that carp you might as well just set your money on fire.If you want to do a real test just check the ohm's on them.Just like plug wires.The dyno is the truth maker here.I run a stocker in NHRA (Stock motor with spec parts pistons,rods,Bore size,Unported stock cylinder heads,etc..) that sees the dyno about 15-20 times per year.last time out we were looking for every last horespower availible.After making several cam changes,4 to be percisefrom 244 dur to 256, we decided to change the plugs. we started with autolite104's went to 103 with very little change maybe 2 or 3 hp down,witch i was looking for.Had some NGK tr555 so lets try them(no like down about 8-12 hp on back to back pulls.)Had some 3013 champion Plugs(got to love having your own parts store HA hA)put them in.MADE MORE HORESPOWER THEN ANY PLUG TESTED,And i tried them all (8 different sets) AC iridiums,bosch,bosch +4,autolite,champion,Denso ir's,NGKs t5 and t6,and even a set of accell's.
    Take it as you wish,but from my side of the track i would run nothing but a champion3013, or a autolite104.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I want to see dyno proof!

Metallic Blue
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Thanks for the info firebirdJ I wanted to get info on the NGK's myself. I have a slight miss and I changed the Plugs to put the AC Iridium plug. The car had the NGK TR55, Since I don't know anything about plugs I just put what it called for.

Glad it helped Blue, although we did only a small amount of testing, we just ran out of time, and found what we were looking for in the Autolites,,,,I would love to test more stuff, but this wasn't my LS motor on the dyno and it's not often he gets one. Most engines we do is old school stuff and roundy round motors.

99transam mentioned some interesting things here. I will admit we saw no real HP differences in the small amount of testing we did,,,,I was more interested in heat ranges and monitoring EGT's.
    I was just dumbfounded when the NGK's ran as hot or slightly hotter than the stock AC's, even the colder NGK's. Thats when I lost interest in them.

This could cause problems with detonation if the engine is already borderline. I just wanted another option. I found that with Autolites and stopped. It sounds like there may be even more options out there as mentioned by 99transam.

Getting information from stock and super stock racers can be invaluable if indeed thats what 99transam does. I talk to these guys at the track, and I used to help my cousin who was big time into this a few years back. That is tough racing, you have to scratch for every bit of HP within the rules. By far my most favorite form of drag racing.

Another interesting tidbit is the fact that A/C plugs are made by Honeywell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Honeywell is also the same manufacture that makes Autolites,,,,,,there's some food for thought.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Still want some dyno proof.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Still want some dyno proof.
    Huh??? Dyno proof of what???

If it's HP you are looking for I couldn't tell ya,,,,what we were after is a plug that actually operated per the heat range it's advertised as.....and we found it.

You want dyno proof of EGT's????? My whole reason for posting this info was the fact that NGK's were a hot running plug no matter which heat range we installed,,,,the AC's don't list a heat range for the LS motors to work with,,,,and the Autolites provided heat ranges,,,,and they actually did make some change in temps.

I use this simply as another means of a tuning tool,,,,nothing more really. With todays crappy pump gas getting worse everyday,,,,our tuneups are even more critical and having another option to fight detonation is what we were after. Nothing more.

It's sad people can't post things they have found without DNA samples or giving up their first born. It is what it is,,,,take it for what it's worth. I understand the internet is full of misinformation, which is why I purchase and test things for myself,,,,and I admit I find things that work quite well that other people say stinks. But as far as the plugs go,,,,, I know what we found and know what I'm going to use for now,,,unless something better comes along or we have time for more testing,,,for now I am satisfied.

If you want to see for yourself you are more than welcome to make the trip up here. You're not that far away, I'm near Cincinnati, and we dyno over in Lawrenceburg. Come on up and I'll show you around.

white
    2002 B4C

For every 75 - 100hp gain you should run next level cooler plug. I run NGK TR7 to keep cooler and stop detonation. Mods are headers(wrapped), flowmaster muffler, SLP lid with CAI, TBC(Throttle Body Cooler NOT bypass), larger MAF, MSD plug wires and a few others...

white
    2002 B4C

Iridiums are no good for extra hp, they just last longer.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Anyone heard of Pulse Plug, suppose to murder every standard plug known to man. Saw it in Consumer Reports. Made way different then a normal plug. I have no clue, just seeing if anyone has heard of it and if it is bullshit.

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

id like to get a set and test them out..

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thats what I am saying, they look great. But you know how companies give false promises.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Yeah I started it because with this many pages in, not alot of people may see it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Im not saying i dont believe you.. just post up dyno charts. simple.
    No can do sorry. I could scan it and stick it on the thumbdrive and post,,,,,but this site did away with that method so no more posting pictures for me. Too much trouble now.

I don't care anyway,,,,,I'm not here to push Autolite plugs or get anymore business for myself. I'm plenty busy.
    I thought I would share and pass along what I find as usefull information, whether people want to use it is up to them. Quite frankly I couldn't care less what people think about it. Use what ya want.

I'm not here to try to prove anything to every Tom, Dick and Harry. I invited you up here to show you what we do since you are close enough. I don't generally just let anyone around, but if you're that interested you are welcome.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-25-2008 at 03:37 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

everyone has their own opinions. If you have an opinion and can't express it without big capital letters and cussing then it's best if that opinion stays yours.

Blue
    1998 T/A

i see several options for autolite104. there's just 104, ap104, app104 and xp104. which would u recomend?

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Anyone heard of Pulse Plug, suppose to murder every standard plug known to man. Saw it in Consumer Reports. Made way different then a normal plug. I have no clue, just seeing if anyone has heard of it and if it is bullshit.

http://www.pulstarplug.com/
    So have you tried these yet or know of anyone who has?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The Plug Wars are almost as good as the Oil Wars. I will submit to the masses a few observations I have made over the past 35+ years.
    1. Gap must be set to your particular motor/mods/tune.
    2. Coil firing "power" is what makes the difference.
    3. Wires with the lowest ohms resistance make the best power and smoothest running motor.
    4. Cheap plugs gapped properly running at the end of a quality coil/wire setup are just as good as expensive plugs in the same environment.
    5. Change your plugs when they start to "pit". Get a magnifying glass and look.

I change my NGK 55's every spring...run MSD wires behind MSD coils. For the Stroker 408 motor I started at a .060 gap and worked my way to a .040 gap. 0.40 works just fine throughout the RPM range and at idle for me. I think I pay less than $2.00 bucks for the NGK 55's. Use whatever plug you want but allow for the above mentioned caveats. You may now resume your regularly scheduled Internet forum war.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information