Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

dont get smart assed with me like i dont know shit.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and why would he replace the slave....it was only the 98-00s that had problems..the 01-02 models had a redesigned slave ? so he is going to replace it with the same exact model ?
    i was just suggesting it as preventative maintenance. Like changing spark plugs when you do headers. Yes you don't need to change the plugs, but since you are there - why not. And i was not being a smart - i was just trying to help someone with a question.

I am aware that the shitty slave only came on 98-00s and the 01-02 were redesigned. Some people who have '01-'02 cars that do clutch swaps still do change their slaves. Its nice to have a new salve to comliment the new clutch.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    If you ever replaced a clutch on cars you would know that you don't want to have to take the trans out twice.
    sounds smart assed..but w/e..you know the saying..if it aint broke.

White
    1999 30th Trans AM WS6

I am replacing my clutch since the old (stock) one is worn out.. I was looking around at Spec etc until i did the right thing - Searched LS1.com I couldnt find a writeup about the procedure or what exactly that is needed for it.

So my question is, what exactly do i need to replace from stock clutch to a LS7 clutch? I am also very interested in the slave cylinder change.

So far, my searching has led me to the following items:
    GM# 24238412 - LS 7 Clutch and pressure plate
    GM# 12571611 - LS 2 Flywheel
    GM# 15046288 - 00-02 Slave cylinder/actuator

Is this really all that is needed? Anything more, like bolts, bearings or anything required for it to work?

I have a 1999 Pontiac Trans AM WS6 with MM6 transmission.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is considered "off topic".

98' trans am

you need fluid .

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

So i guess the LS7 it is... Basically ill get the LS7 but with no slave or master and do i need a flywheel? Anything else i might need for the clutch install?? thanks!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    So i guess the LS7 it is... Basically ill get the LS7 but with no slave or master and do i need a flywheel? Anything else i might need for the clutch install?? thanks!
    you want to get the ls2 fly.. i guess you can get the slave if you want..its up to you..but it isnt needed

you want to get the ls2 fly.. i guess you can get the slave if you want..its up to you..but it isnt needed
    Nah if it isnt needed im not gunna waste unneccary money that i could use for something else...Thanks 4 all the info oh and the LS7 is good for drag racing right cuz i have 425rwhp and 411 rwtq and plan on gettin lots more so just wanna make sure it can handle it.. And the ls2 flywheel is steel or aluminum and which would b better??

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD View Post
    Nah if it isnt needed im not gunna waste unneccary money that i could use for something else...Thanks 4 all the info oh and the LS7 is good for drag racing right cuz i have 425rwhp and 411 rwtq and plan on gettin lots more so just wanna make sure it can handle it.. And the ls2 flywheel is steel or aluminum and which would b better??
    the ls7 is a nice clutch for racing..it isnt a heavy clutch and very responsive from what i hear. the gm ls2 is billet steel..aluminum is lighter and will give you better performance..but steel is stronger

the ls7 is a nice clutch for racing..it isnt a heavy clutch and very responsive from what i hear. the gm ls2 is billet steel..aluminum is lighter and will give you better performance..but steel is stronger
    Hmmm depends on that i think ill need more, well i gotta decide so i guess ill go with the aluminum cuz i need the performance...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The bad thing I've heard is the aluminum will make you bog off the line easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Is that a common thing??? Cuz that aint good so if thats the case then steel it is!!

Silver
    2002 Z28

Two things, first of all, if you ever have problems with your pedal sticking to the floor, you should consider a new slave cylinder, I'm in an 02, and no matter how many times I bleed it, it's still got problems, so I'll be replacing mine with the clutch.

Secondly, if you're making 400+ with bigger plans, I'd consider your other options. From reviews it seems certain that the LS7 can handle about 600-650 HP at the flywheel, and there are several people who are running about 400 rwhp and spraying it, with no problems. But if you're planning on building the car to greater than 500rwhp without spray, this clutch isn't going to do it for you. Same deal if you're a dragstrip junky, it'll hold, but only for so long. One of the major complaints from R&T about the Z06 was a smoking clutch when they put DRs on the car. Just some food for thought.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    Two things, first of all, if you ever have problems with your pedal sticking to the floor, you should consider a new slave cylinder, I'm in an 02, and no matter how many times I bleed it, it's still got problems, so I'll be replacing mine with the clutch.

Secondly, if you're making 400+ with bigger plans, I'd consider your other options. From reviews it seems certain that the LS7 can handle about 600-650 HP at the flywheel, and there are several people who are running about 400 rwhp and spraying it, with no problems. But if you're planning on building the car to greater than 500rwhp without spray, this clutch isn't going to do it for you. Same deal if you're a dragstrip junky, it'll hold, but only for so long. One of the major complaints from R&T about the Z06 was a smoking clutch when they put DRs on the car. Just some food for thought.
    Good info man....I was originally considering the RAM centerforce stage 3+ but was persuaded to lean more towards the LS7 and yes in the future i do plan on crossing 500RWHP possibly 600 after the S/C but that wont be for atleast another year or 2...The mcleaod is waaaay 2 expensive and i heard the spec sucks so just gettin some info together b4 i place my order this week....

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Where is best place to get the LS7 from? Need one soon, my clutch has a hell of a vibration and I think I'm starting to here the high pitched ringing of a throw-out bearing.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    '02 WS6 comes with LS6 clutch. The LS7 clutch and matching LS2 flywheel will cost you around $450. I would also get a new GM slave cylinder too. I would definately consider it!! Its a bitchin deal!!
    you have a sponsor link, etc that would help us out here. i've done google searches and have not come up with anything so far. i have GM part numbers for the master/slave cylinders to upgrade too...TIA

Quote Originally Posted by sthdrider2000 View Post
    Where is best place to get the LS7 from? Need one soon, my clutch has a hell of a vibration and I think I'm starting to here the high pitched ringing of a throw-out bearing.
    ls1speed.com one of our sponsors has the LS7 clutch i believe....check with them man im considering ordering it this weekend from them myself.....

black
    99 camrao

I thank the LS2 flywheel thats used with the LS7 clutch is on back order

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Well hope mine lasts a little while then!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    That is only partly true.

Aluminum flywheels are lighter than steel ones, so the motor has less rotating mass. When you drop the clutch off the line, it is more likely that the revs will fall further, since there is less mass keeping the engine turning.

The simple solution is to launch at a slightly higher RPM, so that the revs don't fall down far enough to make it bog down.

Once you are moving though, the lighter flywheel allows the engine to rev faster, which means it will accelerate slightly faster be more responsive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information