Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Good stuff

Thanks for this informative thread. I had a blown driver's side speaker ('99 Z-28 M6) and I got another "used" Monsoon for it yesterday. The speaker cover would not come off and when I took the door panel off I found out why. Someone before me had apparently broken two of the retaining clips on the cover and "MELTED" them to the panel to re-secure it. Unfortunately, the cover is now in need of replacement, but I did clean up the panel with a Dremel where I can now correctly install a replacement panel.

After reading this thread I believe I will search for a pair of Infiniti Kappa 62.7i's and install them instead of looking for other used speakers (the one I obtained has no high's).

I haven't really looked yet so are the positive/negative wires evident or can you advise the color (I'll use a multimeter, if not). Just thought I'd ask.

I've heard quite a few people say the Monsoon system is substandard, but it sounds okay to me. Not cutting edge, but I'd rather have a car with real muscle than just a "boom".

Thanks again for the great info. It is very helpful to new Z28 owners like me.
    Last edited by jad628; 09-27-2006 at 03:40 AM.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

the shops around here in Austin seem to know enough about the monsoon systems... they recommend an aftermarket headunit, and instead of using the speaker output, they wire the RCAs to the Monsoon amp... I'm not sure if this is done with an RCA > Speaker Level Convertor, or what... but apparently reduces initial distortion quite a bit...

what I've always wanted to know, is does the Monsoon amp have SEPARATE inputs for the subwoofer signal versus the front components?? if that's the case then you could actually control the monsoon subs from your headunit, otherwise the subs would probably be on the same channel as your rear speakers, meaning you are limited in your cross-over selections on the headunit...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

rotwiler,

you are the man, thanks for the speaker knowledge. both my door panel speakers are blown and i was lokoing for direct replacements so i could keep the Monsoon system. time to go get me a piar now...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

is it the amp that pushes 2 ohms? or the head unit?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Update:

I installed the Infinty Kappas w/o the supplied crossovers. They fit perfectly and sound great. I am very satisfied.

Thanks for the info guys.

John

nbm
    00SS

where can u find the speakers?

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by John Dixon
    The speaker cover would not come off and when I took the door panel off I found out why. Someone before me had apparently broken two of the retaining clips on the cover and "MELTED" them to the panel to re-secure it. Unfortunately, the cover is now in need of replacement, but I did clean up the panel with a Dremel where I can now correctly install a replacement panel.
    All Camaros come like that from the factory. They melt them so they can't be removed. I found that out the hard way when I first went to replace my speakers five years ago . Only the T/As come off without without removing the door panels.

Rob

nbm
    00SS

where can u find them?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod
    All Camaros come like that from the factory. They melt them so they can't be removed. I found that out the hard way when I first went to replace my speakers five years ago . Only the T/As come off without without removing the door panels.

Rob
    Figures. I have to admit, they were sort of "well done". As you'll see below, I'm now of the opinion that unless you have a finger adjustable tweeter, there ain't no reason to take the speaker grill off anyway.

Thanks for the info.

00vertSS,

I got mine on eBay. Search for Infinity Kappa 62.7i's, but I think I was successful with just entering Infinity Kappa. The 62.7i is the correct series. They were delivered in three days after PayPal payment.

I removed the door panels to do this. If you CAN (see above) remove the speaker grills, it looks like you MIGHT be able to do it without removing the entire door panel, but the speaker wire will make it very difficult to do (maybe impossible). I just bit the bullet, and took off the entire panel (not too hard). The speaker mount is held to the door by three screws, the speaker is held to the mount by FOUR screws. I took off the mount as well since the speaker wire connector is "do-hickey'd" on the inside and my big hands were not made for that area.

Pretty straightforward wiring. You will have four stock wires (all are red and the two grounds have the black stripe on the wires CLOSEST to the speaker material between the the speaker and disconnect (form the disconnect to the car, the wires are different colors). That is where I cut the wires for splicing re-using the factory quick disconnect.. The provided wires for the Kappas have a rather large encased crossover that you won't need. Cut them off at the crossover, they have quick connects for the posts and they are different sizes so you can't cross polarity there. I used a multimeter for the stock speaker wires (I don't have any manuals yet) since car makers love to throw in all sorts of wire colors that do not indicate polarity. Sorry, I can't remember which was which, but it isn't hard. Just make sure you test-connect them to ensure the wires are correctly placed for the woofer and tweeter (the Kappas are marked at the connections, so just hook up two wires and determine/experiment if you have the highs going to the tweeter and lows going to the woofer). Once you do that, permanently connect them.

Lastly, the Kappa tweeters are finger adjustable for a three decibel range. Adjust them for the brightness you prefer before you re-install the stock grills (if you took them off).

The Kappas are 2 ohm speakers, which is correct for the fronts on my 99 Z. I am not the consummate audiophile, but I do recognize a good sound when I hear it. The Kappas really brightened the sound of the Monsoon system. It is very satisfactory to me now. You know when you are listening to a CD on a new system and you hear something you have never heard on it before, and you start looking around the car trying to find out where the hell the sound is coming from, but it ends up being on the CD? Well, that happened with the Kappas installed (the song was Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crue). I know that is a stupid analogy, but I hope you get the jest about the improved sound.

Hope this was helpful if you go with the Infinitys.

John

nbm
    00SS

thanks jad628 one more ? will they work on a vert?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 00vertss
    thanks jad628 one more ? will they work on a vert?

I don't see why not. Of course, I don't have a vert but I assume the door panels are the same.

John

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

This is a very helpful/informative thread.

I have a 98' Ws6. Not only are my door speakers blown, but the ones in the back seat part are as well. It is so ridiculious the way it was originally marketed to be so great and everyone I talk to has blown at least 2 of their speakers. My friend has a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited and it comes with the Infinity system. Now, in my opinion, that system was a "great" factory set-up, especially for Chrysler. It cranks!!! (I know the interior dimensions are significantly different also)

Anyway, enough rambling. I wanted to replace my door speakers as well as the sail panel speakers in the back seat part, without any modifications. The ones in the hatch seem to be fine, but I will consider changing them in the nearn future. Would anyone be able to tell me what would be compatible with the 98' Ws6 Monsoon System?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdSS
    This is a very helpful/informative thread.

I have a 98' Ws6. Not only are my door speakers blown, but the ones in the back seat part are as well. It is so ridiculious the way it was originally marketed to be so great and everyone I talk to has blown at least 2 of their speakers. My friend has a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited and it comes with the Infinity system. Now, in my opinion, that system was a "great" factory set-up, especially for Chrysler. It cranks!!! (I know the interior dimensions are significantly different also)

Anyway, enough rambling. I wanted to replace my door speakers as well as the sail panel speakers in the back seat part, without any modifications. The ones in the hatch seem to be fine, but I will consider changing them in the nearn future. Would anyone be able to tell me what would be compatible with the 98' Ws6 Monsoon System?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    I'm definitely not the expert on this system, but if I am getting the word right, the front speakers are driven from an amp in the head unit and the rears (4) are powered by the Monsoon amp. Not 100% sure about that yet. The fronts are 2 ohm but I THINK the back ones are 4 ohm. The small woofers in the hatch area of my 99 are marked 4 ohm. Infinity makes those too in a direct replacement series, but my stocks are fine so I haven't walked that road.....yet. I think the correct impedence of the speaker is the critical factor in any replacement choice, size notwithstanding.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in. Good luck with your system.

John

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Maro99
    rotwiler, you sound like you know what your talking about so I wanted to ask you a question
    I have a 99 Camaro without the monsoon setup and want to replace the speakers in my doors and in the back seat would the Infinity 62.7i fit in both the doors and the rear without any modifications, and do you think they would sound good without an amp pushing them?
    They work in the doors and sailpanel(rear seat), fit just like stock..The rear seat speaker hole has a small cutout area in the steel, so you need to add a small piece of something to cover it. I used sound deadening. You can run the wires from where the 4 inch speaker is in the hatch and run the tweeter on the 62.7i on the sailpanel off them. Honestly, now I have them in the back seat(the 62.7i's) and the highs are a little bright for me being right behind my ears. I turned them down and directed the highs toward each other(the tweeter rotates)..is better. Some people complain of rattle in the sailpanel after speaker replacement, so sound deading is almost a must. For the doors the 62.7i is excellent, for the sailpanel I would say they are ok... If you have a seperate subwoofer it makes a big difference.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Will the Infinity's work on the 98 TA?

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Quote Originally Posted by dlcully
    Will the Infinity's work on the 98 TA?
    I just ordered them, so I will let you know as soon as I can try to install them.

White
    2001Camaro SS Convertible

Ok I just put four new two way speakers in my car and I used the leads that were going to the woofer to feed them and isolated the leads going to the tweeters. Is this the correct way?

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

yes

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie
    The passenger side door speaker is blown. Without having to buy new or used Monsoon speakers, What speakers can I put in the doors that will work with my stock monsoon system and sound great?
    infinity makes good 2ohm speakers that can go in there, just make sure to wire up the tweaters to the HU and the woofer to the AMP, find something that will work on there site that you can afford

White
    2001Camaro SS Convertible

OK after further review I don't have the Monsoon amp but I still have separate wires going to the woofer and tweeters. Why do they do this? Maybe is it to make is easier to install the amp later?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information