Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Thanks for the help everybody. I finally found what I needed to know. After calling a Chevy dealer who wanted to charge 82.50 to scan my car so they could tell me if it's covered by a warranty I talked to a finance rep. I found out I'm 3k over the 80k now, long commute to work, and I'll have to eat about $800 bucks for a goofy part. I'll be getting new long tubes and headers soon. Is there anything that can happen with a bad cat or is it one of those who cares things beside the SES light being on?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

To answer your question about just throwing away the stock system and being done with it, you know nothing is that easy.
    First of all you have 4 O2 sensors, it's the one behind the cat (towards the end of the car) that sends the code for a bad cat. You don't need those if you shitcan the system, but you will need to run "Sims" or better yet, find a Tuner that can "click off the box" in your ECU and be done with it.
    As for the 2 sensors in front of the cats, you will need to keep those, as they give your ECU valuable info to keep her running properly.
    If you just throw away everything you'll trip that code forever, and of course that code that's tripped right now needs to be reset, which can be done by that above mentioned Tuner. Someone you will no doubt want if you do install LT headers, and most likely a cold air intake to compliment the LT's, he'll be able to get the most out of your hard earned $$$.
    P.S. I realize that not all Service Advisors are that dumb, but I had the notice from GM at the time stating that GM was going to cover the replacement cost of the faulty cat(s) and the code had already been read and reset actually by my own Tuner, I was only there to have the cat replaced because it was rattling something fierce. For him to say that the Dealer wouldn't even look at the car unless I agreed to the 50,000 mile service in my opinion was a rip off! The icing on the cake was the remark about if the SS had a V6 or V8. HE, not ALL Advisors was an asshole, and I stand corrected Sir.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

They are just playing dumb and it is irritating when your talking about a hundred wasted dollars. Take my situation for example. I'd pay the $82.50 to find out that fixing the car is out of reach until I pay off my current bills. By the time I did this they'd require another scan for $82.50. I'd be out $165.00 and have received nothing of value.
    Last edited by ezwip; 12-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.

red
    2002 z/28

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    I'm pretty sure I received the same code Sarge posted but dont' have the paperwork on me at the moment. If a long tube and headers are the way to go I can start saving up. I know they did replace one cat not long ago. I'm not opposed to removing the cats I've no need for them.

On a side note I get out to purchase gas yesterday. Ten feet away this old lady in a crappy Mustang LX is heading right toward me. No, No, No, No... smack. She replies, "It's okay my car always had scratches and dents." Argh! Nobody could understand why I was upset about it. Spider webbed the rear bumper paint but for the most part I buffed it out. Only car guys can relate to me being upset watching an LX ram into my car in slow motion while I wince in pain. The guy at the counter owns a Camaro and he's like omg man!!!

Rubbing aint racing if I'm parked! I swear she's a Camaro hitman. This lady smiled as she did it.
    dude i can totally underdtand.my z is my 6th maro but my first car that has an a/c and a heater that works.in other words its the nicest thing i've ever owned.i would've wooped her ass.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    To answer your question about just throwing away the stock system and being done with it, you know nothing is that easy.
    First of all you have 4 O2 sensors, it's the one behind the cat (towards the end of the car) that sends the code for a bad cat. You don't need those if you shitcan the system, but you will need to run "Sims" or better yet, find a Tuner that can "click off the box" in your ECU and be done with it.
    As for the 2 sensors in front of the cats, you will need to keep those, as they give your ECU valuable info to keep her running properly.
    If you just throw away everything you'll trip that code forever, and of course that code that's tripped right now needs to be reset, which can be done by that above mentioned Tuner. Someone you will no doubt want if you do install LT headers, and most likely a cold air intake to compliment the LT's, he'll be able to get the most out of your hard earned $$$.
    P.S. I realize that not all Service Advisors are that dumb, but I had the notice from GM at the time stating that GM was going to cover the replacement cost of the faulty cat(s) and the code had already been read and reset actually by my own Tuner, I was only there to have the cat replaced because it was rattling something fierce. For him to say that the Dealer wouldn't even look at the car unless I agreed to the 50,000 mile service in my opinion was a rip off! The icing on the cake was the remark about if the SS had a V6 or V8. HE, not ALL Advisors was an asshole, and I stand corrected Sir.
    Well thank you sir, I really would hate to be branded an A-hole. But I definitely would agree with you on that, what he did was wrong and trust me, if that would have been anyone at my dealer, our asses would be fired on the spot. Next time you are in MI and need warranty work on your Z, look me up!!!! And I promise, I wont make you buy a trans swap to do an oil change.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dave ls1 View Post
    dude i can totally underdtand.my z is my 6th maro but my first car that has an a/c and a heater that works.in other words its the nicest thing i've ever owned.i would've wooped her ass.
    I was so mad and she tried to just drive off in front of about 10 witnesses. So I followed her and snapped her license plate with my cell phone. Then she pulls back around to the pump next to me and tries to pump some gas. Of course she can't hear or see at this point. I knew the damage wasn't worth reporting to the insurance company but I called the cops to see if she should even be driving. I feel for the elderly I really do, but they need to make them taking driving tests more often and actually yank their licenses. My stepmoms mother was almost 90 and always drunk. Completely senile and out of her mind. Couldn't see or hear and she had her license till the day she died. Several times the cops had to tow her off the interstate for grinding the guard rails drunk. She was quite a sight. The bar across the street banned her for dancing on the table naked.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    This is the perfect time to replace your exhaust system with an aftermarket LT header system complete with high performance cats (if you want or need them to pass emissions) and be done with it.
    Screw the Firestone dealer, and the Chevy dealer too, as this exact same thing happened to me when I owned my 2001 SS Camaro.
    In addition to all the BS you went through, the dealer insisted on doing a 50,000 mile service on my car too!
    I looked him right in the eye and said "You've got to be f*ing kidding me, I've been looking for an excuse to put a good set of headers on this car anyway, you just gave it to me" and got in the car and left.
    This same asshole Service Advisor looked at the car when I arrived and said "Hmmm That's an SS, they have a V8 in them right?"
    Yea asshole and it's rear wheel drive too....what a dick!
    They love those SES lights...it's their little cha ching cash machine going off.
    X2 - this happened on my car and I just got headers and hiflow cats. Just look up the price of new cats and you can get headers for the same or less.

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

just for the record...

Subject: 05513 - SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - CATALYTIC CONVERTER EXTENDED WARRANTY

Models: 2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO

2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
    Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment
    This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are all 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 - VIN G) engine and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year
    Division
    Model
    From
    Through

Chevrolet
    Camaro
    Y2100004
    Y2177266

Pontiac
    Firebird
    Y2100002
    Y2177254

Chevrolet
    Camaro

Pontiac
    Firebird

Chevrolet
    Camaro

Pontiac
    Firebird

Parts Information
    Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number
    Description
    Quantity/Vehicle

Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe LH

Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe RH

Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe LH

Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe RH

Customer Notification

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom2kz View Post
    just for the record...

Subject: 05513 - SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - CATALYTIC CONVERTER EXTENDED WARRANTY

Models: 2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO

2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
    Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment
    This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
    Involved are all 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 - VIN G) engine and built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year
    Division
    Model
    From
    Through

Chevrolet
    Camaro
    Y2100004
    Y2177266

Pontiac
    Firebird
    Y2100002
    Y2177254

Chevrolet
    Camaro

Pontiac
    Firebird

Chevrolet
    Camaro

Pontiac
    Firebird

Parts Information
    Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number
    Description
    Quantity/Vehicle

Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe LH

Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe RH

Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe LH

Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe RH

Customer Notification
    This is the exact notice that was mailed to me as the owner of my 2001 SS Camaro at the time. The dealer refused to honor it even as I presented it to him, unless I agreed to the 50,000 mile service, and in addition, if the problem wasn't the cat, even though it was already diagnosed previously, they would charge me.
    Do you think that when I was shopping around for my Z06 I even bothered walking into their showroom?

Black
    2001 Camaro

Went up today and did get both cats replaced 1 broken bolt on manifold 328 if u like repaired and a post bank 1 stripped o2; now replaced with some xtra they had laying around to get me home wires cut off not that I want it. Complained to Chevy hotline and was suprised they were kinda in disblief. I could go on with how i some what understand.............
    So now I drove home with a leaking manifold and 1 bad O2 that I need to buy; shoulda ...........u know
    Last edited by sleeper; 12-08-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

UPDATE: I got the dealer to fix it, they ran the same code i posted, they replace the cat, a pip, and the gasket.. for free, since i showed em that warrenty..

But the damn retards put a 8'' white scratch on my driver door, and i have a black car.. great.. now ive got to wait till the end of the day so there detailer can fix it..

F crappy dealers.
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

I got the car back, they put a new cat on and a pipe from the cat, and a gasket.. i got home to see if ti was really new, it is, but it smoking a tad bit, like something was burning off, bc it smelled weird..

anyone know what could have done this? or what it is?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    I got the car back, they put a new cat on and a pipe from the cat, and a gasket.. i got home to see if ti was really new, it is, but it smoking a tad bit, like something was burning off, bc it smelled weird..

anyone know what could have done this? or what it is?
    Yes that is normal, just the coatings burning off, it will go away as you drive.

I think it's normal, just burning off the coating. Should stop after a few heat cycles.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I can't stand the STEALERSHIPS! I feel your pain bros.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Thread Information