Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

[QUOTE=Too Fast;2823158]I noticed mine is getting a bit loose also. You can pull it down towards the 6-7:00 like the OP.

I haven't fixed one on these F-bodies, but I am assuming that after you take the steering wheel off, and move the turn signal switch out of the way, there will be some reverse headed torx bits to tighten, deep in the column. That's how I fixed a bunch of columns on GMs, and I think this column would be similar. I could only get to two of the three bolts, but after tightening two it was tight and stayed that way for years. And yeah, do not allow the airbag clock spring to rotate. Tape it so it won't rotate, after you get it out of the column

so youve fixed oone of these before? and thats how you fixed it?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I honestly doubt it. Like I said earlier in this thread, I have the same thing, and the problem is the steel dowels. They are loose, and fall out. I still have the same problem. It is aggravating, but I haven't found a good solution yet. Take the wheel off, airbag module, the plastic trim that holds in the turn signal, and you will see the dowels. They are on opposite sides of the column at 3 and 9 o'clock. Reinsert dowels, and reassemble. There is a specific way to re arm the airbag module. This is listed in the Haynes manual. I think it is like 3 full turns and then reinstall. I did hear about a repair kit for this problem. If you do a search on here, you should find it. And, this may all be irrelevant for anybody else but me, because I have what looks like cut or missing pieces on the left side of my column. Maybe from a theft or reposession in the car's past. I haven't taken enybody else's column apart to compare.

Thread Information