Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

yea gotta start somewhere,might as well do it yourself.if you cant pull this off ,your bent over for the dealer to have his way with you everytime you need something.maybe if your lucky he'll want to go steady,lol ,thats funny,i dont care who you are,lol!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree with what most people are saying. Buy a haynes manual and tear into it. It'll be a good learning experience and save you a ton of cash. I'm sure you won't breeze through it like most people are saying if it's your first time but it can be done and if you have a little bit of mechanical aptitude and are able to read it's definitely a job you can do. At the very least you'll invent a few new cuss words.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    mine leaked at 65k and i had to get it replaced, and it was over a grand but it is a bitch of a job
    ahahha...they saw you coming a mile away..did they tell you it was a hard job as they swiped your card for $1000

You've been a member here long enough to know better bro...there's tons of people here with a lot of knowledge that would've helped you through every step if needed. Just a shame that you had to waste a good 700 bucks.

As far as the gasket comment it's possible it's just the gasket...but i'd replace the pump anyway if it has any decent mileage as preventive maintenance.

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

What a coincidence, I replaced my water pump last night! lol One thing that took a long time was getting the clamps off the coolant lines, and back on. You might want to get something better than pliers... lol Although my rubber lines have swelled a little bit, so it probably won't be that bad...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Those stock clamps are crap...anytime you get a chance you should replace them with some worm clamps

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Yea after reading this I made the mistake of having a mechanic replace it, but he gave me a good deal nevertheless.

$609 for new water pump, thermostat, fan belts (replace them because you're taking them off anyways), flushed dex-crap, cleaned lines with an agent, re-filled with traditional green, and labor. Not bad huh? Find someone else. This maybe because the guy just replaced my transmission with a $2700 Jasper 4L60E and replaced my cylinder ignition key.

BTW, if you flush the system, get rid of Dex-Cool. When my water pump was failing sporadically, I saw that my coolant was beginning to change colors as air mixed with the coolant. It got this white sludge all over my overfill tank, which may have been acid. My suggestion is to stay away from Dex-Cool because it does turn into acid mixed with air & heat. GM has had suspicious problems with head-gaskets failing after switching over to Dex-Cool. BTW, aluminum easily corrodes when acid is present. http://www.dexcoolcase.com

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Back Door Entry!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chris5 View Post
    Okay i took my car in because it was overheating and pinning the needle on red. all the fluids were fine and the fans were coming on so i figured it was the thermostat. So the service guy calls me back and tells me it is gonna cost 1,100 dollars!!! he says the water pump needs to be replaced ($600) because it is leaking, and two hoses($300??) need to be replaced and the radiator needs to be flushed which will cost 100 and then add in labor for everything. I am a college student and this is the first time i've taken my car to this dealer, i am getting a weird feeling that these guys see me a young guy in this car and just figure my parents will pay so they can rip me off? I mean my car is a 99 camaro ss with only 82k miles on it and i barely drive it. can the water pump already have gone bad?? what if it is just those two hoses leaking and then he throws in the bs about my water pump....

Anyone know the symptoms of a bad water pump? i don't know what to do because either way i have to pay them 82 just for lookin at the car and i will feel stupid if i take it somewhere else and they say the same thing is wrong.
    DID THE SERVICE WRITER HAND VASOLINE BEFORE TOLD THE PRICE OR AFTER!!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information