Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The tailight is ruined forever. I VHTd mine, the chrome is gone off the inside. New tailights will get it bright in the daylight again.

and if you guys dont believe me, take the lense off the housing

Black
    1999 WS6 Ram Air Trans-Am

I put my cover in water to see where the leak is. I looked for bubbles. I took it out and let it dry for aleast 24hrs. Then put a bead of black silicone around it. I put it back together. Then I used black electrical tape around the plug in sockets. so for so good. I have been in the rain and washed the car with no problems. You might try that.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I had this problem which started shortly after I bought the car. I seemed to be drying out the moisture everytime I washed the car. I ended up drilling three small holes in the assembly as a test to see.

Make sure you find the lowest spot by holding your light level. That will verify all water drains out and should keep any moisture from building up.

Took a shop vac with a small hose attachment and stick it in one of the holes. three pieces of cardboard over the others and after about 3-4 min all the moisture and water was long gone.

I know it's probably not the most popular solution, but I was looking at the price of the housings on ebay that were pulled from junkers and they could have the same issue.

red
    98 trans am

They make a thicker gasket that goes between the bulb and housing. Solved my problem. I think they were $10.00 for a pair.

I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

Well I have been through 2 sets of tailights and I got a new pair but damn it...this is the last. So, what most are saying is that you can replace the lights with LED's and this will prevent the burnout? But what will prevent the actual moisture from getting in? I hear drill, I hear silicone? What's the best?

Same thing for my front turn signal........

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

front drls are a heat issue, which LED's could help if you fix the housing. the backs not so much. I just drilled 3-4 small holes in the bottom of my leaky tail light and ran a bead of silicone around them and no problems since.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    They make a thicker gasket that goes between the bulb and housing. Solved my problem. I think they were $10.00 for a pair.
    Where can you get these gaskets at? They aren't sold at autozone/advanced/napa/ or even the dealership (individually).

Black
    99 Trans Am WS6

You can use dielectric grease on the rubber surrounds of the lamp plastic sockets. I used clear free flowing silicone that was made for windshields. I purchased it from Autozone. It comes out a little more fluid and gets into the crevices.

red
    98 trans am

I got them of the internet. Can't remember were? Just do an internet search.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Found a better fix, should have took pics. There was a hole covered by a circular sticker, looked OEM, pulled it off and a few days later the moisture was gone and has stayed clear since. When my LEDs come in and I take the light off again, I'll try to remember to snap a few pics.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I pulled the taillight out out and drilled a small hole on the underside of the reverse housing and two small holes on the underside of the taillight housings. No more moisture accumulation.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

All 3 "chambers" in the tail light of my car are all connected. Making them 1 chamber.

Mustang killer

White/ Blue stripes
    1999 30th anniversary

I eliminated mine ....by painting it white

problem solved

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Trans am Chick View Post
    I eliminated mine ....by painting it white

problem solved
    LOL.

Since I have that hole in the top of it, i get some moisture build up when i wash it, but the bulbs heat up and evap. the water alittle while later. I get no regular moisture build up anymore.

Maybe, if I ever have 400 bucks I dont know what to do with, I'll buy a new one.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

drilled two holes in the back up, 5 in the taillight, no problems yet

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Found a better fix, should have took pics. There was a hole covered by a circular sticker, looked OEM, pulled it off and a few days later the moisture was gone and has stayed clear since. When my LEDs come in and I take the light off again, I'll try to remember to snap a few pics.
    So, what was the end result of your deal ?? Did you get the LED's ? If so,, where did you get them from? I have an '02 TA and have the same typical problems: moisture in the back-up lens and dim lights all on the left side. And now to complicate matters, I have one of those sub-woofers that fit snugly into that space behind the left tail light area and now I have to rip that out to get to it all I noticed that threads on this are all from last year,, did any one come up with a really good fix since then???

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    So, what was the end result of your deal ?? Did you get the LED's ? If so,, where did you get them from? I have an '02 TA and have the same typical problems: moisture in the back-up lens and dim lights all on the left side. And now to complicate matters, I have one of those sub-woofers that fit snugly into that space behind the left tail light area and now I have to rip that out to get to it all I noticed that threads on this are all from last year,, did any one come up with a really good fix since then???
    -you'll have to take your sub out to get to the tailight.

-you'll have to replace the darkened taillight, there is no fix for it.

-exposing the hole is still the best preventative measure for the problem.

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    KMdef9, I know this is an old post but I still have to deal with my dr. side tail light. Did you ever get the LED's for your tail light and if so, where from?? Did you ever take those pics you talked about?? What side was that sticker on??

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    drilled two holes in the back up, 5 in the taillight, no problems yet
    ^^

+1 did this in Feb because my bulbs started popping and moisture was building. I had tried to seal the top with rtv and no help. After the holes no moisture build up at all.

I'm thinking this may help with the dsl issues up front.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^

+1 did this in Feb because my bulbs started popping and moisture was building. I had tried to seal the top with rtv and no help. After the holes no moisture build up at all.

I'm thinking this may help with the dsl issues up front.
    does, did the same thing, three 1/8 inch holes, one in each 'corner' of the drl housing, not a bead of water ever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information