Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to tune?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Holy shit. That is pretty in depth just reading some of that. Im sure as with anything its gets easier. Ecspeically if you get to see what people are trying to teach you! Seeing how I am already gonna HAVE to pay for someone to tune my car after my cam gets installed, Aftr readind some of this... It mkaes me think twice about buying HPtuners. My question is, if your just "decent" at tuning, how good of a tune can you really get until you can really get into the software? What's everyone's experience on it? I want more details on the actually tuning side of it, not just monitoring and adjusting fan kick on temp's.

Who has some first hand experience with HPtuners?
    you can get your tune dead on the first time, it will just take you longer than a pro. the key is not to change too many things at one time and (save as) each change as you go though so you have lots of files......if you mess up, you can just reflash the last tune.
    plus there is ALOT of support out there where all your questions can be answered.
    hey man, if i can do it, you can do it!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Holy shit. That is pretty in depth just reading some of that. Im sure as with anything its gets easier. Ecspeically if you get to see what people are trying to teach you! Seeing how I am already gonna HAVE to pay for someone to tune my car after my cam gets installed, Aftr readind some of this... It mkaes me think twice about buying HPtuners. My question is, if your just "decent" at tuning, how good of a tune can you really get until you can really get into the software? What's everyone's experience on it? I want more details on the actually tuning side of it, not just monitoring and adjusting fan kick on temp's.

hptuners does do a lot to help you along. You can't read and understand it though without it being in front of you. It would be like putting a puzzle together without a picture on the box.
    You have to get used to the scanner and know what data you're looking for and then what to do with that data. There are so many help threads out there that you spend hours reading and taking in all the info. There's a huge help base that goes along with hptuners. If you have the desire to learn it there's no way that you can't learn it. Just takes some time reading. Once you get the hang of the histograms things move along a lot easier. It's all in setting up the scanner correctly and then most of it is copy paste from those histograms.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    hptuners does do a lot to help you along. You can't read and understand it though without it being in front of you. It would be like putting a puzzle together without a picture on the box.
    You have to get used to the scanner and know what data you're looking for and then what to do with that data. There are so many help threads out there that you spend hours reading and taking in all the info. There's a huge help base that goes along with hptuners. If you have the desire to learn it there's no way that you can't learn it. Just takes some time reading. Once you get the hang of the histograms things move along a lot easier. It's all in setting up the scanner correctly and then most of it is copy paste from those histograms.
    it was kind of neat the way i sat here and beat my head against the wall trying to understand it....then you guys got me into the scanner histograms and everything just fell right into place

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Go spend some more money and get it tuned.
    money it comes and goes but a car-well no that shit does to

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

check this one out. has more info

http://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagno...-software.html

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Alright, I JUST opened my COMP cam kit. Just found out it was here! I am seriously starting to think about this. How much would the full software run me to tune just my car? I have looked briefly. Thanks guys.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Go spend some more money and get it tuned.
    money it comes and goes but a car-well no that shit does to
    The problem i have with that is the guy who does my tunes. he is a real duche bag. plus now i never have to pay to have it done again. just gunna take awhile to learn

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Whatcha end up paying?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Whatcha end up paying?
    your going to want to get the pro kit, that's 649.00shipped and comes with 8 credits which is enough to tune up to 4 cars. you are also going to want to get a LC-1 wideband o2 sensor (KYspeed is having a GP right now $220 shipped). you also need a laptop. thats about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    why do they sell used ones?!?!?!?!

Well I was actually talking about the extra $150 you are spending as apposed to my extra $100. But what ever makes ya feel better

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    your going to want to get the pro kit, that's 649.00shipped and comes with 8 credits which is enough to tune up to 4 cars. you are also going to want to get a LC-1 wideband o2 sensor (KYspeed is having a GP right now $220 shipped). you also need a laptop. thats about it
    the LC-1 made everything SO much easier to tune

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    What Orion says here is right on the money.
    Knowledge of tuning in general and what an engine likes is a big help. From there it's a matter of figuring out the HPtuner program and finding where stuff is and how it works.
    You can ask Orion, I struggled with it for the longest time. Still do. Not so much because I don't know how to tune,,,but because I am a computer dummy. I didn't know how to copy/paste and stick, and alot of the other things that are considered very basic computer stuff. I'm still not a computer person, but I know enough now to tune the car pretty decent, diagnose problems and such. Without Orion's help, Frost's help, Mrr23's help, and alot of reading on the HPtuner site I would still be in the dark.

I had to take the plunge and do it though. Simply because I have to be able to work and tune on the cars we own and I just couldn't do that on a 4th gen without having the software. It's a necessity in my opinion.
    Shucks the first thing I bought for the 4th gens before even thinking about buying speed parts was HPtuner.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    the LC-1 made everything SO much easier to tune
    Ya I haven't experienced that yet. I have the LM1 that I use on other cars but as far as linking it to HPtuner I haven't gotten brave enough to set that up. It's the part of setting up the computer to accept it and make it work that I shy away from.

The part of finding the EGR pin out on the ecm and running the wires in the car and then turning on the EGR in the tune is the easy part of it to me.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

What about all the HPtuners I see for sale used? Buying that would only require me to buy additional credits correct?

What about all the HPtuners I see for sale used? Buying that would only require me to buy additional credits correct?
    Yes I believe that is correct,,,but I really haven't seen any forsale, then again I really don't get around much on the internet either

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I havnt seen any in a while. I have seen them though. I am constantly looking for stuff. Sometimes its just wishful thinking... well Usually it is.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya I haven't experienced that yet. I have the LM1 that I use on other cars but as far as linking it to HPtuner I haven't gotten brave enough to set that up. It's the part of setting up the computer to accept it and make it work that I shy away from.

The part of finding the EGR pin out on the ecm and running the wires in the car and then turning on the EGR in the tune is the easy part of it to me.
    its really easy=
    open scanner> open primary table(default configuration)=
    at the bottom of the table right click in the EIO input 1 block=
    click (insert)

a window will pop up (insert AUXs)> click on the + next to wideband=
    preset for lm1 is the firt option= double click on it and it will pop into the primary table.

right click below (AIR INTAKE TEMP (SAE))
    click insert= insert PIDS window will open up=
    user defined= double click on Air Fuel Ratio=

in the primary table it will appear right below Vechical speed (3rd block down)

now go to File=
    save config. as=
    save the configuration as wideband setup

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    its really easy=
    open scanner> open primary table(default configuration)=
    at the bottom of the table right click in the EIO input 1 block=
    click (insert)

a window will pop up (insert AUXs)> click on the + next to wideband=
    preset for lm1 is the firt option= double click on it and it will pop into the primary table.

right click below (AIR INTAKE TEMP (SAE))
    click insert= insert PIDS window will open up=
    user defined= double click on Air Fuel Ratio=

in the primary table it will appear right below Vechical speed (3rd block down)

now go to File=
    save config. as=
    save the configuration as wideband setup
    Yep there ya go,,,,thats all the stuff that makes my head spin

hugger orange

now when you start scanning open up the histogram window=
    1=main spark advance
    2=knock retard
    3=ve longterm fuel trims
    4=ve short term fuel trims
    5=narrow band 02 volts
    6=wideband 02 air fuel ratio
    7=air fuel ratio error

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep there ya go,,,,thats all the stuff that makes my head spin
    open the tuners scan program and this window....bouce back and forth....i just walked you thruogh everything as i did it so it is truly step by step.

once you open them up it will go quick and easy

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information