View Poll Results: Seafoam a good or bad idea???

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, its a bad idea.

16 17.98%
  • No, it works great!

73 82.02%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Awaiting Activation

Light Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I guess I'm to new to the forum to vote, but Sea foam works absolutely great.
    I've used it for more years than I'd like to admit and it made everything I ever used it on run better.
    If regular sea foam is not enough to clean the crap out, marine or tranny sea foam WILL take care of it. According to a representative I met some years back at a Marina, those 2 are just concentrated at a much higher level.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Did 1/2 can in Walmarts lot today. . . . . . Guy came over from the gas station with a fire extinguisher. . . . .

Click for full size
    LOL
    lol thats how my grand marquis smoked when i use it. seafoam makes another product for the transmision called trans tune. It doesn't harm seals or swells them. I will use that one on tranny instead of regular seafoam.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I think I may actually try seafoam for the first time slightly before my next oil change.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

In the old days we used to dump a lil Kerosene, or diesel fuel (about 8oz.) in the oil and run it 15min parked.

Then change the oil..

white
    1998 z28

I did it on my 230,000 mile Z28, and will be doing it on the car I now.

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Done it on every car I've owned the last 6 years and stand by it. In fact, my 207k Formy gets its first cleansing this weekend since I bought it back in May.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

blue
    2001 trans am

seafoam is good but i have started using MMO getting 3 more mpg.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

What is MMO?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Wow this thread goes back a ways.....

MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil. It's also used as a cleaner (very similar to transmission fluid) and is less abrasive but also acts as a lubricant at the same time. Usually mixed in with your gas and used as a maintanance type of cleaner to stay on top of things, cleaning and lubricating the valves, injectors, fuel pump, valve seats and guides etc....

It's been around since the 60's that I remember (and probably longer).

I use 2 cycle engine oil with TCW-3 mixed with my gas in all the vehicles which accomplish's the same thing and is actually cheaper. $11 for a gallon jug and mix 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas on every fillup. That jug treats about 600 gallons of gas.

Better MPG on every tank, and it cleans and lubricates all the above mentioned. It's not abrasive or corrosive for those that care.

red
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow this thread goes back a ways.....

MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil. It's also used as a cleaner (very similar to transmission fluid) and is less abrasive but also acts as a lubricant at the same time. Usually mixed in with your gas and used as a maintanance type of cleaner to stay on top of things, cleaning and lubricating the valves, injectors, fuel pump, valve seats and guides etc....

It's been around since the 60's that I remember (and probably longer).

I use 2 cycle engine oil with TCW-3 mixed with my gas in all the vehicles which accomplish's the same thing and is actually cheaper. $11 for a gallon jug and mix 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas on every fillup. That jug treats about 600 gallons of gas.

Better MPG on every tank, and it cleans and lubricates all the above mentioned. It's not abrasive or corrosive for those that care.
    so you do this every fillup? does it cause car to smoke?

Yes I do it every fill up. If you stick to the measured quantities it doesn't cause smoking or any other adverse affects. However if you go over that dosage it can.

Measured correctly it's a great cleaner lubricant. I also get a smoother running engine, easier starts, and I've generally picked up slight mpg.

If you don't want to measure (and I admit it's a pain) The Lucas fuel additive will accomplish the same thing, it's a mild cleaner that isn't abrasive, and strangly enough that stuff is more forgiving on dosage with no adverse affects (or so it seems when I use it) but it's more expensive.

If it makes anyone feel any better, Sarge used to promote the 2 cycle TCW-3 quite a bit as a fuel additive and used it himself (he's no longer a part of the board) but many considered him knowledgable on oil products.

I had talked to him quite a bit about the subject of fuel additives because I had always used the Lucas fuel additive for years. That happened to be the only Lucas product that met Sarge's approval and the only other fuel additive he would use. It just get's expensive.
    So the 2 cycle engine oil with TCW-3 (1 gallon at Walmart for $11) works out to be much cheaper. The only issue is having to measure the stuff (1oz per 5 gallons of gas). It's a pain in the butt.

I have been using a little Lucas fuel additive bottle and I've marked off 1oz increments. It's a bit tedious pooring a gallon jug into a little fill bottle with a neck the size of a nickle.

I also feel it's a necessity and have for many years ( to use either Lucas or 2 cycle, which ever you prefer) because lead is no longer in the gasoline we buy. Lead was the lubricant in the gas. It lubed everything from the valve seats, to the valve guides and everything associated with the combustion chamber.
    Now fuel has abrasives in it, harsh cleaners and other add packs, as well as ethanol which we all know to be corrosive. So I've been a big believer in running a fuel additive in everything, an additive that has lubricating properties as well as mild cleaning capabilities, and Lucas additive or 2 cycle with TCW-3 has both of those qualities. I use it in everything from the cars down to the lawn mowers.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-29-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information