Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

FI build questions

I am looking at getting a procharger at some point and I don't really know anything about what makes a good FI build so I have some questions. For an FI build is it better to go with smaller displacement block like the ls1 or could you go with large displacement like the lsx 454 and have even more power? Besides of how FI works I really have no idea what makes a good FI motor. So I guess my question would be what would make the best lsx FI motor?

Blue
    1999 Blown Trans Am

whats your end goal(HP)? Type of setup ie Drag, Auto cross....?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Double0me View Post
    whats your end goal(HP)? Type of setup ie Drag, Auto cross....?
    Well the ultimate goal, when everything is done to support the power, is to be in the neighborhood of 800+, the type of racing is going to be a mixture of the two but my suspension is going to be set up for autox for most of the time.

I forget where I read it but some information I got said that small blocks are typically better for FI. I don't know how true that is.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 06-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That is correct. Large displacement motors are more geared for NA. Small displacement is more geared for FI.

I have a build thread of my Procharger build in the FI section of the site if you'd like to check it out for some general information.

I'm not going nearly as big as what you are, but there is some decent info in there.

Blue
    1999 Blown Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That is correct. Large displacement motors are more geared for NA. Small displacement is more geared for FI.

I have a build thread of my Procharger build in the FI section of the site if you'd like to check it out for some general information.

I'm not going nearly as big as what you are, but there is some decent info in there.
    +1 I read it before I started mine, LOL.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

Yes I have read a lot of it. That is what geared me to ask this question. Another displacement question, at some point probably before I get the procharger I am going to get a block and forged internals, what block would be best for pushing it to the limits? I was figuring a iron block but I don't know if that is necessary. Also should I get a bigger than stock crank to stroke it out or would I just be better off with stock sized crank?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm no expert, but I've seen 390ci and 408ci motors run those power levels and beyond. An F-series ProCharger at high boost should hit 800rwhp. I'd recommend you start your research with AES or a similar builder to at least get a sense of what's needed and what a reliable setup consists of.

Their 390:

3.800" crankshaft
    6.125" rod
    4.030" bore size

Shorter stroke will allow for a thicker ring land and increased journal overlap from what I've read. To be honest though, I can't imagine autocrossing an 800rwhp car. I'm WELL beneath that and things get hairy in a straight line at times.

Again, I'm certainly no expert on builds of this caliber, but hopefully I haven't mistated anything and provided decent information to start.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by See Me In My GTP View Post
    I'm no expert, but I've seen 390ci and 408ci motors run those power levels and beyond. An F-series ProCharger at high boost should hit 800rwhp. I'd recommend you start your research with AES or a similar builder to at least get a sense of what's needed and what a reliable setup consists of.

Their 390:

3.800" crankshaft
    6.125" rod
    4.030" bore size

Shorter stroke will allow for a thicker ring land and increased journal overlap from what I've read. To be honest though, I can't imagine autocrossing an 800rwhp car. I'm WELL beneath that and things get hairy in a straight line at times.

Again, I'm certainly no expert on builds of this caliber, but hopefully I haven't mistated anything and provided decent information to start.
    Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check AES out to see what would be best for me.

Thread Information