Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

I don't mind Mac desktops, because they aren't outrageously priced, like the laptops. Example.. for a base Macbook with the same size screen as my PC (17"), they are around 2500-3000 bucks. Now.. for that amount of money, I could order a new PC laptop with waaay more than enough memory/performance.

(I'm talking just laptops here, I have no experience with mac desktops)

Now... Mac vs PC both with the same specs, sure the Mac might outperfrom the comparable PC, but for how much more money? Can't you use that money to get way more performance out of the PC, and any extras you want? I mean, I got way more of everything on my HP, and paid $1000 less, WITH the 3 year accident forgiveness-type warranty. It performs perfectly fine with vista on it, and I have more than enough space for everything. I've had it almost a year, and haven't even used half it's space.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

A 17" screen is not a base Macbook. It is a Macbook Pro that has more power than 99% of notebooks on the market.

In fact, a Macbook Pro was the FASTEST notebook ever tested by PC World Magazine until recently. It ran Vista faster than ANY Windows specific notebook.

Here's text from the article...

Fastest: Apple MacBook Pro
    The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

Complete article...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/13664...s_of_2007.html

You can get a decent Macbook for around $1100.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

cj, you just lost any credibility with me by calling toshiba products "nice" and "quality".

And I might add you can get a decent PC laptop for under $900, so go figure.

And once again, if you want the top of the line ANYTHING, its never going to be anything you buy out of a store.... so the macbook having the vista-"crown" doesnt mean crap to me personally. Even if that is an 11-month old article. And I love the built for each other comment followed by "mac is better then PC at windows" comment. You just scream standard apple leghumper to me... did you waste your money on IPODs and the IPHONE too?

I don't like the interface, I dont like the price, and I don't like the leg humper hype.

No Leghumper here. Are you a Windows humper?

If you don't like the Mac interface, then it's a done deal. But don't assume that because someone else does like the interface that they must be on drugs..

I've had 7 Toshiba computers and never had any problems with any of them so I figure that they must be decent quality.

And I never said that the Mac was better at Windows than Windows. PC World did.

And I also DID mention that the article was old and that the Mac was no longer the fastest notebook.

Get your facts straight before you start flaming.

How many Macs have you had? How many Toshibas?

In my view, opinions don't hold as much weight as personal experience.

And yes, the $900 notebook must be just as good as a Macbook Pro which is probably why Apple can't give them away.

And I must say the Apple KoolAid tastes great. You get a packet in the box with every Apple product.

I don't have an Iphone 'cause I don't need it. I do have an Ipod because it was the easiest way to get a HDD based music library in the car.
    Last edited by CJREX; 09-01-2008 at 02:55 PM.

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Exactly.. if you customer order a laptop built to your specs from a company, with $2500-$3000 to spend (which is what any 17" Mac costs), then you'll be more than fine.

And no, I'm not buying a tiny 13" Mac for $1000. (base)

The "basic" Macbook pro still isn't a 17". It's a 15". for $2000. The 17" (which I greatly prefer due to using 3D Modeling software, I like being able to see well) is not available for less than $2800.

So.. for the money, a MAC laptop would never be in the running for me.

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Oh.. and I had a Toshiba laptop. It fell apart.

Then your decision is already made.

Good Luck!

Sorry about your Toshiba. I've had 2 Satellites, 3 Satellite Pros, and 2 Tecras (still using the Tecra M9) and all have been great.

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Then your decision is already made.

Good Luck!

Sorry about your Toshiba. I've had 2 Satellites, 3 Satellite Pros, and 2 Tecras (still using the Tecra M9) and all have been great.
    I'm not looking for a laptop, I already have mine, but was just putting my $.02 as to why I chose what I did.

Mine was a Satellite, I believe. It was the tablet PC edition. I was okay, but I also didn't go for the higher-end options, which I think I should have done. What disappointed me was that the little things, like the plastic piece over the latch and such, were breaking after a year of use. I'm very easy on my computers, but for some reason pieces kept cracking. It worked alright though.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

This whole argument is pointless. If the Mac OS is preferred then buy a Mac. If Vista is preferred or other OS, buy a PC.

The primary difference really is what it will do, what it won't do, the type of service (if any) that is required, and the value to the user of the machine.

If you want a Mac you are much better off using Mac hardware. If you want Windows, Linux, or Unix then buy a PC and choose from the various branded solutions or build your own.

There are more hardware choices with a PC type of interface, more software options, generally more avenues of support, and generally a better bang for the buck, plus you will be generally more compatible with 95 percent of the other computer users in the world. However you will not have a Mac if you opt for a PC and as such if you are focused on the world of publishing, video, music, or art you will have some resistance from your peers if you are on a PC platform.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

most college students around here run macs they gear their computers and notebooks for the college student and you can use alot of pc programs on macs just my .02 but even here in seattle (microsoft hq) you go into a coffee shop thats a hotspot or wifi you see a majority of macs

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post
    Now... Mac vs PC both with the same specs, sure the Mac might outperfrom the comparable PC
    No. Two computers with the same specifications will have equal performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post
    but for how much more money?
    It's similar to buying a plain white T-shirt. At Wal*Mart one will cost you $3. At A&F, one will cost you $45. You're paying for the name.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by scotthd View Post
    most college students around here run macs because they're trendy, they gear their advertisements for the college student and you can use alot of pc programs on macs just my .02 but even here in seattle (microsoft hq) you go into a coffee shop thats a hotspot or wifi you see a majority of macs because sitting in Starbucks doing nothing all day also happens to be trendy.
    Fixed.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

ROFL.... damn right, I dont have a whole lot of positive things to say about people who carry their laptop with them everywhere and have enough time/reason to whip it out when they are having an overpriced coffee.

Oh, and Toshibas? I've owned one(old school - it sucked), my highschool had tons of them(they sucked even worse) and one of my friends had one(I really got sick of fixing that POS).

And I am well within my rights to think people who think the mac OS is worth paying for are on drugs. The dual boot is a moot point, because a mac costs more for the same performance. And on the same note, to spend $100's extra to use that OS is just plain retarded to me, and thats not even beginning to consider in the incompatibility issues with all the software out there.

Edit: Nevermind

It's like chocolate and vanilla.

Nobody is going to convince anyone that one flavor is better than another when you already have your favorite.

People like different things. Some people even like THIS but I'm not quite ready to try it yet.

WARNING! Don't watch the linked video if you have a weak stomach!
    It's even worse than Long John Silvers!

Choose what makes you happy, and enjoy it.
    Last edited by CJREX; 09-06-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information