Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pwwatkins View Post
    I'm not trying to troll, I joined to learn more about lsx engines..This guy is obviously a dumbass, rotary motors don't have bottom ends to have built.
    LOL I just read this thread and That was the first thing I thought!!

A turbo Rotary is a Sick ride!! If someone who knows rotary's can build it then it is def a fast car. I have seen them in the 9 sec 1/4 mile range. But personally I know hardly anything about them.

Now the Lsx swap in the rx-7 would be sweet. I have seen a few of them and they are really fast and sound great.

red
    94 rx7

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Really? that's funny. welcome to the site, bud! You plan on doing an lsx-swap?
    I'm considering it. It depends on whether I can make a 7-800 hp reliable street machine with something like a turbo ls2. I'm still learning about lsx capabilities.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

7-800 maybe not, but a turbo ls2 yes.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    LOL I just read this thread and That was the first thing I thought!!

A turbo Rotary is a Sick ride!! If someone who knows rotary's can build it then it is def a fast car. I have seen them in the 9 sec 1/4 mile range. But personally I know hardly anything about them.

Now the Lsx swap in the rx-7 would be sweet. I have seen a few of them and they are really fast and sound great.
    (I know I'm not talking about a street car)... but the fastest Rotary down in these parts... ran a 6.97@202mph quarter mile (pro-mod style car with a 1.3L 2-rotor)...all you can really do to make them stronger is change the blades on the rotors... there's a few other forged parts you can actually..."build" as in Forged Rotors(I think...those are the triangle things)... so yeah they are considered the "botom end" if you will...

Pesronally I love the Sound of those Hedge Trimers with Turbos... I grew up watching them at the track...cars with tires more expensive then it was to build the car... runnin 10's, 9's... with Rotary Motors... spectacular really... if you ever get the chance to see something like that, you should... it kinda kool to know you don't need a V8 to go fast...

Firemist Red
    '05 AMG SLK55

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki_SeVeN View Post
    (I know I'm not talking about a street car)... but the fastest Rotary down in these parts... ran a 6.97@202mph quarter mile (pro-mod style car with a 1.3L 2-rotor)...all you can really do to make them stronger is change the blades on the rotors... there's a few other forged parts you can actually..."build" as in Forged Rotors(I think...those are the triangle things)... so yeah they are considered the "botom end" if you will...

Pesronally I love the Sound of those Hedge Trimers with Turbos... I grew up watching them at the track...cars with tires more expensive then it was to build the car... runnin 10's, 9's... with Rotary Motors... spectacular really... if you ever get the chance to see something like that, you should... it kinda kool to know you don't need a V8 to go fast...
    You are referring to the seal set (switching to ceramic seals provides a marginal increase in power via unsprung weight reduction). Increasing major power output in a rotary is done with porting & with increasing the size of the turbo (rotaries produce as much exhaust as Viper V-10 so taking advantage of the exaust via turbocharing yields major power/torque gains). Slapping on additional rotors also increases power by 50 - 100%, depending if it's a triple or quad rotor powerplant. See ya.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by KLEEMANN View Post
    You are referring to the seal set (switching to ceramic seals provides a marginal increase in power via unsprung weight reduction). Increasing major power output in a rotary is done with porting & with increasing the size of the turbo (rotaries produce as much exhaust as Viper V-10 so taking advantage of the exaust via turbocharing yields major power/torque gains). Slapping on additional rotors also increases power by 50 - 100%, depending if it's a triple or quad rotor powerplant. See ya.
    Nice!... great info.

red
    94 rx7

You can't just slap on extra rotors though..Having a 3 rotor conversion done is about a 30,000 project, but when done it's pretty bad ass! 5-600 rwhp is pretty common now, with a few people getting close to 800 on a two rotor. 600hp can be done without doing anything to the actual rotating assembly (bottom end) other than porting which is similar to adding a longer duration cam.

10's N/A

You can't just slap on extra rotors though..Having a 3 rotor conversion done is about a 30,000 project, but when done it's pretty bad ass! 5-600 rwhp is pretty common now, with a few people getting close to 800 on a two rotor. 600hp can be done without doing anything to the actual rotating assembly (bottom end) other than porting which is similar to adding a longer duration cam.
    30,000 dollars...Yikes!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

err, then you have to talk to all the peeps here... that "make" 3 rotors... none of them having that kind of money... according to the operator of the the best dyno place... here... said 600whp in a 1.3L 2-rotor, is only good for about 20 passes down the track on stock "botom end"... before you have to change blades... and the fully built race car that ran 6.97... hit 900whp and they are aiming for 1000whp...

red
    94 rx7

http://racingbeat.com/FRmazda3.htm
    http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=370451
    Here is everything you coud ever want to know about 3 rotors, it is the second link I posted. The main reason it is so expensive to make the conversion is all the custom work. The 3 rotor engines need custom motor mounts and require cutting of the fire wall, along with custom everything else. I just read it takes about 35,000 to have a reputable shop perform the conversion and that includes parts..turbo, ecu, etc..
    600rwhp is about almost the cut off before needing to have your motor pinned, which is just adding more bolts to hold everything together. Some people also like to add a two piece eccentric shaft 'the shaft that spins the rotors,' but someone on rx7club just made 748 rwhp without any build up of the internals. The length of time a rotary lasts totally depends on how good and safe the tuning is. People who race are going to have a really aggresive tune which will make their motors more prone to blow. Also, you don't just change blades out. They usually break and go through your turbo, f'ing everything up..or you can get lucky and not total your motor. There are lots of 600rwhp weekend warriors with rx7's.

red
    94 rx7

Puerto Rico is number one in rotary racing though..If you can get really cheap labor and parts it would help a lot. Here, if you get a high horsepower 3 rotor, you're looking at 1000 dollars just for tuning.haha

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Puerto Rico is number one in rotary racing though..If you can get really cheap labor and parts it would help a lot. Here, if you get a high horsepower 3 rotor, you're looking at 1000 dollars just for tuning.haha
    yeah... around here... people do by trial and error when they don't have cash... and it seems to work out just fine... alot of them are just mechanics with the skill and know how to make them work... I've seen 13b's in Datsun B210... Carburated/Turbo... those things are gold over here... capable of being a 9 sec car... or even faster... home built stuff... to be honest I've always really wanted a Turbo II RX7... from the Early 90's... and make it go

Thread Information