Thread: Amsol oil?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Thumbs up Amsol oil?

I know oil questions have been beaten to death around here. I did a search for oil and it pulled up weird stuff. I just bought a nissan rogue and thought about using some amsoil. Guy had a display said 1 yr or 35k miles. I was gonna use their filter also. Is it worth it for me to use it or what does everybody suggest?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Amsoil is a sponsor of the site, Compsyn

http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=53265

I am sure Sarge or Compsyn himself will answer your question soon enough.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

With any oil made....run it and sample it via a Used Oil Analysis. You do not have to drain it. Just enough for a sample bottle supplied by the lab. This will tell you exactly how your oil is doing and how long you can run it. I recommend BlackStone Labs. They provide the sample kit free.
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

So sample to tell if you can really run it that long? Is Amsoil and their filters good to start with though?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You bet they are. But run it out to say 5K miles and draw a sample to verify. Every engine is different.

Post Amsoil...

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    I know oil questions have been beaten to death around here. I did a search for oil and it pulled up weird stuff. I just bought a nissan rogue and thought about using some amsoil. Guy had a display said 1 yr or 35k miles. I was gonna use their filter also. Is it worth it for me to use it or what does everybody suggest?
    I’ve posted in detail about the Amsoil extended drain interval in the link provided below. When you click on the link, scroll down to where the subject says, Amsoil extended drain interval. If you have any other questions please let me know, I’m here to help.

LS1.com – Which Amsoil? link

I’ll also add that Amsoil formulates a balanced synthetic lubricant that is designed to perform well over a longer time span than less costly alternatives. Amsoil does have a higher purchase price, but will be more cost effective the longer you extend your oil change interval. This is one area where it makes since to pay more for a lubricant.

And I will agree with Sarge once again on used oil analysis (UOA). The UOA is the ultimate way to go if you want to extend your oil change interval. It is more exact to your specific application and driving style.

Also, if you are considering Amsoil for your next oil change, the Preferred Customer program is a great option for saving money. For more on this, check out the link below:

LS1.com – Amsoil Preferred Customer link

CompSyn

Black
    2001 Trans Am

I changed over to Amsoil in my TA and Camaro last week.. I have heard nothing but good stuff about it.

retired racer not 4 long chevy1966's Avatar

red white
    1999 z28 vert 1998 z28 ht

I run Amsoil in my 03 Ford 7.3 Diesel. I run the oil for 50000 miles and change the filter every 15000 miles with their filter. Truck now shows 135000 miles and no problems whatsoever. I will use it from now on in my diesel. As far as my car goes, it is not a daily driver and sits a good bit of the time. I use regular oil in it and change it every 90 days regardless.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    I’ve posted in detail about the Amsoil extended drain interval in the link provided below. When you click on the link, scroll down to where the subject says, Amsoil extended drain interval. If you have any other questions please let me know, I’m here to help.

LS1.com – Which Amsoil? link

I’ll also add that Amsoil formulates a balanced synthetic lubricant that is designed to perform well over a longer time span than less costly alternatives. Amsoil does have a higher purchase price, but will be more cost effective the longer you extend your oil change interval. This is one area where it makes since to pay more for a lubricant.

And I will agree with Sarge once again on used oil analysis (UOA). The UOA is the ultimate way to go if you want to extend your oil change interval. It is more exact to your specific application and driving style.

Also, if you are considering Amsoil for your next oil change, the Preferred Customer program is a great option for saving money. For more on this, check out the link below:

LS1.com – Amsoil Preferred Customer link

CompSyn
    Great information. So my car is rated for 5w-30 but from what I read 0w-30 is a better oil. I also understand the point of getting my oil analyzed as every engine is different and I can find out base metals etc in my oil. Also see I want to pay for the sponser to get better pricing. Another question I have is I see people talking about the Penzoil Platinum. Obvious Im not a performance vehicle so do I need amsoil. Guess it would be up to me. Amsoil has better protection with longer change intervals.

Post Decisions, decisions…

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    Great information. So my car is rated for 5w-30 but from what I read 0w-30 is a better oil. I also understand the point of getting my oil analyzed as every engine is different and I can find out base metals etc in my oil. Also see I want to pay for the sponser to get better pricing. Another question I have is I see people talking about the Penzoil Platinum. Obvious Im not a performance vehicle so do I need amsoil. Guess it would be up to me. Amsoil has better protection with longer change intervals.
    Yes, you are right. The choice is with you and what you are comfortable with putting in to your engine.

I’ve read a lot of good posts about Pennzoil Platinum and it sounds like you’ve seen same posts as well. But that’s all I can really say about it. Never have used it myself, but a lot of people say they like it.

Also, did you happen to see this post on Amsoil 0W-30? This is a post where the guy said he tried both Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and then Amsoil 0W-30. Read what he says about the two in the link below:

LS1.com – "Impressed! That’s why I’m switching to Amsoil" link

And I will say that I believe 0W-30 is a better choice in engines that specify 5W-30 or 10W-30 grade motor oils. I talk about this in the same link as above.

CompSyn

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Another good read. Thanks for all the info.

Thread Information